Questions/Suggestions

NSD Hosted Multiplayer Tournaments
Little Powell
Reactions:

Questions/Suggestions

Post by Little Powell »

Post any questions or suggestions you have here.
KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Re: Questions/Suggestions

Post by KG_Soldier »

Well. . . only that people make sure they can host a game before they sign up. But I suppose a third party could host and take one of the command spots and just observe.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Well. . . only that people make sure they can host a game before they sign up. But I suppose a third party could host and take one of the command spots and just observe.
Good point and I suppose that an Observer can be allowed to host. In the balanced OOBs that will be available for each week, there will be 5 observer spots open so anyone can join the game to observe.
Garnier
Reactions:

Post by Garnier »

Who gets to decide who hosts?

Unless the OOB is exactly balanced (which I don't expect or want), I will always want to pick which side I get, thus I'll always want the other guy to host. What if neither player wants to host?

What are the sandbox game and MP settings? These should all be written down because some may have a different idea of 'default'. Default I assume means whatever it was set to right after installing the game, but it would be good for that to be posted because we don't all know what it is.

I assume there are no in-game rules, that should probably be posted too. In casual play we agree not to use the arty retreat button, but in a tournament I don't know how you'd enforce it.

I don't want to be difficult, but it's important to lay all the rules out very clearly for a tournament.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Also try the singleplayer carryover campaign
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Unless the OOB is exactly balanced (which I don't expect or want), I will always want to pick which side I get, thus I'll always want the other guy to host. What if neither player wants to host?

What are the sandbox game and MP settings? These should all be written down because some may have a different idea of 'default'. Default I assume means whatever it was set to right after installing the game, but it would be good for that to be posted because we don't all know what it is.

I assume there are no in-game rules, that should probably be posted too. In casual play we agree not to use the arty retreat button, but in a tournament I don't know how you'd enforce it.

I don't want to be difficult, but it's important to lay all the rules out very clearly for a tournament.
Thanks Garnier, great questions. This is exactly why I started the Question/Suggestion topic and made the first tournament Beta. :)

The OOB will be close to exactly balanced. Same numbers, same weapons, attributes. If you don't want a balanced OOB then we can have tournaments with stock OOBs etc. If neither player wants to host, then maybe a friendly observer can jump in and host. And if that doesn't happen maybe NSD can decide who hosts. Or it can be on a first come first serve basis. So whoever replies in each game week topic, we start putting the names in the brackett. The name on top hosts.
Good point and I'll update the game information with that.
No in game rules at this time.

Thanks again!
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

Garnier wrote:
With the latest patch, the arty retreat button no longer makes the arty invulnerable.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

I'm thinking about randomizing the list of players and then putting them in the bracket. The player on top will be the host.

But this means that everyone that signs up must be able to host. Is there anyone that isn't able to host?
Last edited by Little Powell on Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
BillyYank1863
Reactions:

Post by BillyYank1863 »

instead of declaring randomly who is host, just declare randomly who plays which side.

That way it doesn't matter who can or wants to host.

If you only give the no host guy the benefit of choice, no one will want to say they can host ;)
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

instead of declaring randomly who is host, just declare randomly who plays which side.

That way it doesn't matter who can or wants to host.

If you only give the no host guy the benefit of choice, no one will want to say they can host ;)
Well the idea of giving the visitor the benefit of choice is to prevent cheating. I don't want to give anyone ideas (although people with mod knowledge would have thought of this anyway) but if you host the game, technically you can go into the OOB and change all of the numbers so your troops are elite bad asses. ;)

So if we were to declare which player gets which side ahead of time, a host that is up to no good can go in and change his sides attributes.

So if we just decide who hosts ahead of tiem, when the game is about to start and the players are at the select screen, the player that is not hosting chooses the side he wants. That way it's decided at the last second, and the host wouldn't have time make their troops elite.
SouthernSteel
Reactions:

Post by SouthernSteel »

Will an NSD team member need to be present to observe?

Also, what are the rules going to be on "gamey" tactics in battle (ie, people rolling up cannon into their line on the offensive to fire cannister)?

Edit: I cannot host. I messed with it a bit but haven't been too willing to mess with the router in depth.

Edit 2: Just another thought, if all of the games are at the same time, the likelihood that an outside 3rd party will be able to step in and host will be extremely minimal. Plus, spacing the games out might be nice for, say, our UK and European players so they don't have to play at 3 AM or whatever.

I know a large number of guys can start playing Fridays at 6 PM CST, but there's no reason we couldn't stagger times after that, as needed. Perhaps give players a range of times to select from (so we're not all over the place) and have them choose ahead of time once the bracket is made up.

Also, just combining some of the ideas above, perhaps we could always have a 3rd party host (so as to help cut down on cheating) and randomly assign sides right before the battle? That way we will always have a host (hopefully) and avoid any messing with the OOB.
Last edited by SouthernSteel on Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The time for compromises is past, and we are now determined to maintain our position and make all who oppose us smell Southern powder, feel Southern steel."
Jefferson Davis, 1861