Questions/Suggestions

NSD Hosted Multiplayer Tournaments
SouthernSteel
Reactions:

Re: Questions/Suggestions

Post by SouthernSteel »

A second bracket or whatever would be fine with me, assuming there are/were enough people interested to make it worthwhile. I was thinking of something along these lines anyway to accomodate those going out in the 1st round, maybe a bracket to play for 3rd place or something? (I'm no whiz on brackets)

If nothing else we could speed things up and do, say 2 matches per week, but that all depends on everyone's schedules. Still, as most of the people involved play basically every night, we should have good flexibility that way.
"The time for compromises is past, and we are now determined to maintain our position and make all who oppose us smell Southern powder, feel Southern steel."
Jefferson Davis, 1861
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

A second bracket or whatever would be fine with me, assuming there are/were enough people interested to make it worthwhile. I was thinking of something along these lines anyway to accomodate those going out in the 1st round, maybe a bracket to play for 3rd place or something? (I'm no whiz on brackets)

If nothing else we could speed things up and do, say 2 matches per week, but that all depends on everyone's schedules. Still, as most of the people involved play basically every night, we should have good flexibility that way.
Yeah we'd have to figure out the best way to do this. Hmm.. This is making my brain hurt.. :laugh:

So the current tournament going on should be Tournament 1 - Week 2. This tourney goes on until a Champion is determined.

The losers of that tournament can move to Tournament 2 - Week 1 if they wish, as well as new players can join.

The only problem with this though; you can still be a tournament champion even if you lose in another tournament.. How do we differentiate the tournament types from each other to recognize the true undefeated champion? I guess we'll just have to make it clear that the winner of tournament 1 is the undefeated champ?

Man, and I thought the BCS was complicated... :laugh:
KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Post by KG_Soldier »

The 2nd tournament should be 2 v 2.

There's no reason the guys still playing in tournament 1 can't also play in tournament 2.
Kerflumoxed
Reactions:

Post by Kerflumoxed »

Yeah we'd have to figure out the best way to do this. Hmm.. This is making my brain hurt.. :laugh:

So the current tournament going on should be Tournament 1 - Week 2. This tourney goes on until a Champion is determined.

The losers of that tournament can move to Tournament 2 - Week 1 if they wish, as well as new players can join.

The only problem with this though; you can still be a tournament champion even if you lose in another tournament.. How do we differentiate the tournament types from each other to recognize the true undefeated champion? I guess we'll just have to make it clear that the winner of tournament 1 is the undefeated champ?

Need an example of Tournament Play with a consolation bracket...just look at the College World Series to see how it works! :huh:

J

PS: Don't reinvent the wheel...here is a site that will have everything you need for brackets and scheduling including odd number of players, byes, consolation brackets, etc. Incidentally, when I was a HS AD, there were only "books" showing how to schedule tournaments! What I wouldn't have given for this type of information back when!
Last edited by Kerflumoxed on Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
[/size]
"Boys, if we have to stand in a straight line as stationary targets for the Yankees to shoot at, this old Texas Brigade is going to run like hell!" J. B. Poley, 4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

The 2nd tournament should be 2 v 2.

There's no reason the guys still playing in tournament 1 can't also play in tournament 2.
Good point. So players can play in any tournament, regardless if they have won or lost in another one. And maybe after a while, we can have a Championship Game where the players with the most wins compete... There are so many possibilities. :)

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Need an example of Tournament Play with a consolation bracket...just look at the College World Series to see how it works! :huh:

J

PS: Don't reinvent the wheel...here is a site that will have everything you need for brackets and scheduling including odd number of players, byes, consolation brackets, etc. Incidentally, when I was a HS AD, there were only "books" showing how to schedule tournaments! What I wouldn't have given for this type of information back when!
Sounds like a great site. Did you forget the link? ;)
Kerflumoxed
Reactions:

Post by Kerflumoxed »

Oh, you want the link? Why, yes, there is a link...and, yes, I forgot to include it!:blush:

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q=to ... 73&bih=534

There you go.

J
Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
[/size]
"Boys, if we have to stand in a straight line as stationary targets for the Yankees to shoot at, this old Texas Brigade is going to run like hell!" J. B. Poley, 4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Oh, you want the link? Why, yes, there is a link...and, yes, I forgot to include it!:blush:

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q=to ... 73&bih=534

There you go.

J
Thanks.

I'm going to give it until the end of today to see if anyone else offers feedback, but I think I'll probably go with KG_Soldiers idea. There will always be more than one tournament going on and players can participate in any tournament, no matter if they have lost or not. So if you lost in Tournament 1, you can try again for Tournament 2. If you won in Tournament 1, you can also try to keep your streak going in Tournament 2. That ways players can keep competing every week.
Kerflumoxed
Reactions:

Post by Kerflumoxed »

Here you go, Matt, a site that lists exactly what you need or may be looking for. An 8-team (or man) tournament with the 4 winners advancing to the next round with those that lost moving to the consolation bracket. The ultimate winner of the consolation bracket ends up in third place.

Click on this link, select 8 man tourney and look at the spread sheet. This would, IMHO, be the perfect set-up for the current game, but....

http://www.wvmat.com/brackets/brackets.htm

J
Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
[/size]
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Here you go, Matt, a site that lists exactly what you need or may be looking for. An 8-team (or man) tournament with the 4 winners advancing to the next round with those that lost moving to the consolation bracket. The ultimate winner of the consolation bracket ends up in third place.

Click on this link, select 8 man tourney and look at the spread sheet. This would, IMHO, be the perfect set-up for the current game, but....

http://www.wvmat.com/brackets/brackets.htm

J
Hey, I like it. Keeps people playing and it determines the true undefeated champ, while allowing everyone to keep playing. Thanks a bunch J!