Flags?

General Question/Answer/Announcement about NSD. We are a small independent game development team and we value our community. If you ask, we'll answer.
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Flags?

Post by Hancock the Superb »

In all the screenies I don't see 1 state flag. Will these be seen later? Or will they not be avaible at all, except for mods?
Hancock the Superb
estabu2
Reactions:

Re:Flags?

Post by estabu2 »

I don't know that much about the flags, but if they units carried state flags I think they will include them. Why would they try to get the maps and everything else authentic and not the flags they were carrying?
"It is strange, to have a shell come so near you...you can feel the wind."
spruce
Reactions:

Post by spruce »

Honestly, I Agree with Hancock - I hope the flags will be improved.

For now, they are a little "simple" to say the least.

I really hope they'll see a quality increase - f.e. by having better graphics - or by using state flags as Hancock suggested.
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

The graphic quality is fine. Just the lack of state flags.
Hancock the Superb
Amish John
Reactions:

Post by Amish John »

I think I remember a recent post that said the state flags are still in development. The flags we see are probably just placeholders.

Previously, I have suggested the person doing the flags take a second look at the proportions of the hoist vs fly dimensions for the flags. As we know, there were many types and sizes of colors used in the field for regimental standards. However, I believe it was more typical for many of the Federal colors to be more square in proportion than currently shown in the game screenshots.

For the Pennsylvania regimental colors, which were a combination of the federal pattern with the stars and Pennsylvania state seal in the canton, a typical flag was about 6 ft x 6-1/2 ft. I'll let others speak for other Northern states' regimental colors dimensions. The placeholder flags currently shown appear proportioned more like a modern 3 ft x 5 ft US flag.
You can get farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.
RDBoles
Reactions:

Post by RDBoles »

This reminds me why I always try to keep my Art work covered up until I'm completely finished with it. My Wife used to drive me nuts when she would start evaluating the work while it was in progress. Granted some things pop out at you when you first see a piece of Art work But over time you work out the small details as you go. The flags will be great for the finished product. I'm not speaking for Norb but He seems to get things right.
Move Forward
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

I wonder if he is using a scaled up version of the CMP3 Mod flags.
Hancock the Superb
bedbug
Reactions:

Post by bedbug »

Federal state flags. Almost always hoist roughly equals fly.
See Screenshots top row right.
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Now I see. Lookin Good. And finally, we now know that this is:

GETTYSBURG, with George Meade, of course.:)
Hancock the Superb
Amish John
Reactions:

Post by Amish John »

Yeah, that looks better Derek. Based on your Smithsonian background, I feel confident you will do everything within your power so make sure accuracy is paramount within the limits of game design.

I would not argue Hancock's assessment of the game subject, however, Meade's rank as major general dates from Fredericksburg.
You can get farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.