Ward, or Scenario Eight, Strategy

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
kaplan71
Reactions:

Ward, or Scenario Eight, Strategy

Post by kaplan71 »

Hi there --

I am experimenting with strategies on the Ward Scenario. I have two approaches so far, and I wanted to see
what people thought:

1. Have the 2nd Sharpshooters fight a delaying action while the 3rd Maine and 1st Sharpshooters get pulled over to Little Round Top.

2. Have the 2nd Sharpshooters fall back to Little Round Top while the 3rd Maine and 1st Sharpshooters get pulled over to Little Round Top.

The question I had is this: I need to move troops to the left of the cannon due to the flanking movement, and eventual charge of the enemy up the slope. Can I safely shift two regiments from my right, and leave the 1st Sharpshooters to take their place?

Thanks.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Re: Ward, or Scenario Eight, Strategy

Post by Little Powell »

For this one, you really need some extreme tactics to change history and win.. Especially if you don't get any support. I move all of my regiments to Devils Den to fight off the rebels. That includes both sharp shooter regiments (the one to the south and the one near the peach orchard) and the other regiment in the near the peach orchard. Again, you will need all of your regiments there to hold the OBJ to win.
garyknowz
Reactions:

Post by garyknowz »

The key to victory in this scenario (as I see it) is to prevent him them concentrating his division at the base of Devil's Den. If you end up in this situation, the rebs will just roll up the hill until a melee ensues, at which point, game over. So anything you can do to delay segments of Hood's division or distribute it over a larger field will help greatly.

Ultimately, it took me a while to beat, especially since I didn't know the 1st SS and 3rd Maine were under my command until I had already beaten the scenario. What I did was used the 2rd SS to lure Anderson and Benning toward the Wheatfield and Peach Orchard getting Graham and Barnes involved early. It might have been a little gamey, but it was the only way I could do it without the 1st SS and 3rd Maine.

However, with those two units, I'd use 'em along with the 2nd SS 2nd SS to tie up a couple brigades and try to get Hood to attack the hill piecemeal. And remember to leave a gap for the canister.
Last edited by garyknowz on Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry. I suffer from a serious case of typosis. Don't worry, it's not contagious :)
kaplan71
Reactions:

Post by kaplan71 »

Hi there --

I followed the advice posted, and the strategy used was indeed extreme. I was able to bait Anderson's brigade from attacking Devil's Den, and as a result, I did score a Major Victory in the scenario. Thanks again.
garyknowz
Reactions:

Post by garyknowz »

Congrats, kaplan! Good job.

However, with those two units, I'd use 'em along with the 2nd SS 2nd SS to tie up a couple brigades and try to get Hood to attack the hill piecemeal.
^^^ Proof it's possible to stutter when typing. :blink:
Sorry. I suffer from a serious case of typosis. Don't worry, it's not contagious :)
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Im playing this scenario now, and I didnt notice i had the two other units either until my second game. I havent managed to last more than 15 minutes so far - the reb infantry just roll up the hill and in any melee, the union troops always lose, even in a defensive position, rested, and with leader support bonus.

How do you get the stupid artillery guy to deploy his cannon? he only ever deploys one until the rebs are almost on us.

Sharpshooters are awesome.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Old Smith is going to deploy his guns when he wants to, there's nothing you can do.

This one is all about getting your extra units to the fight as soon as possible, then form a strong line around the OBJ (make sure everyone has some sort of defensive bonus) and hold on for dear life.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

obviously im doing something wrong, but I have done both of the things you mention.

I get the two sharpshooters and the other infantry regiment back ASAP, I get everyone at fences or up on the boulders (is that a good idea? Is there a good bonus for that? or does it hinder them). i usually leave a gap for some of the cannon to fire through, i keep my leader close and bring him over to any unit that gets engaged in melee, but still nothing....15 minutes tops.

There was some reinforcing infantry covering between me and the mountain to my rear (cant remember which it is, its one of the scenarios, think its stannard on the flank) but they arrive way too late.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

obviously im doing something wrong, but I have done both of the things you mention.

I get the two sharpshooters and the other infantry regiment back ASAP, I get everyone at fences or up on the boulders (is that a good idea? Is there a good bonus for that? or does it hinder them). i usually leave a gap for some of the cannon to fire through, i keep my leader close and bring him over to any unit that gets engaged in melee, but still nothing....15 minutes tops.

There was some reinforcing infantry covering between me and the mountain to my rear (cant remember which it is, its one of the scenarios, think its stannard on the flank) but they arrive way too late.
Look for the defensive bonus icon in the center portion of the toolbar. Even if you are behind a boulder, make sure that icon is showing up.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

yeh, i made sure that was there, but is a boulder better than a fence? i always assumed a stone wall was better than a fence?

The boulder makes the unit in line very uneven looking, does that effect it? Does the higher boulder give you a view over a forward unit? i had my sharpshotters on the highest boulder, and a line regiment in frnot, but the sharpshooters were continuously blocked.
Last edited by con20or on Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.