A storm of lead and iron

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
con20or
Reactions:

A storm of lead and iron

Post by con20or »

I have a few questions about this scenario.

1. When the game starts your division is on a crest, looking towards mcphersons farm. You get orders to keep your division with its right on hills corp and when early? shows up keep your left on him and attack the farm.

2. To attack the farm, you have to march down past the whole union army, although you can keep your troops out of musket range easily.

3. From the start, O' Neal is set on charging his brigade right into the union line. Even when TC'ed you have to order him numerous times to do what he's told.

4. I was playing on normal (dont usually, but have been messing with settings) and i marched down, threw the union out, was up to 20,000 score (thats not a typo, twenty thousand) and the scenario wouldnt end. Was that a bug? Major victory is only 4000 in this one. Or is normal just that easy.

5. How doeshhtis one play out? Did i attack the right place? Or was i supposed to attack the main union line and ignore the farm. or was I supposed to attack both... Does early show up (im struggling here not to make jokes about early being late...that one doesnt count)

Really great game, wish my pc wcould handle it better. Only 10fps alot of the time.
NefariousKoel
Reactions:

Re: A storm of lead and iron

Post by NefariousKoel »

Really great game, wish my pc wcould handle it better. Only 10fps alot of the time.
Pretty sure all the lingering gun smoke is a big contributor. My fps is playable but it drops pretty far when I moved the camera. There's a mod for less smoke but I'd like to see a graphics option for it in the stock game, too.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

Con20or wrote:
. I was playing on normal (dont usually, but have been messing with settings) and i marched down, threw the union out, was up to 20,000 score (thats not a typo, twenty thousand) and the scenario wouldnt end.
That sounds like the commander suicide bug. Do you have the latest patch installed? That one was squashed a while ago.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

I have a few questions about this scenario.

3. From the start, O' Neal is set on charging his brigade right into the union line. Even when TC'ed you have to order him numerous times to do what he's told.
First and foremost make sure you have the latest patch:

http://www.scourgeofwar.com/Downloads/S ... r1_103.exe

Also about your question #3, O'Neal will do what he wants regardless of what you order him to do (like he did historically). He's very stubborn in this scenario so it's best to just leave him alone and he'll actually do quite a bit of damage to the enemy.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

I am 99% certain i have the latest patch installed, although i find it is very hard to keep track of when an update is out, usually reading someone mentioning it on the forum is the first indication i have. If it hasn't come out in the last month, then yes i have the most up to date version. If there's no auto-update for patches, maybe a mailing list could be set up to notify people?

Interesting you mention commander suicide bug. Another weird thing happened, i clicked 'go to me' at one stage of the battle, and i had somehow gotten far behind the union lines, surrounded by enemy regiments. I didnt do that (although it's possible i did it by accident) but what are the chances of me getting there without getting captured?!?

I find the biggest killer of my fps is grass/trees. I already have the smoke mod installed, i didnt see much of a difference, but maybe my FPS is so low that it wouldnt increase. When i turn off trees, performance goes way up. 20-30 fps. I know I can minimise tree visibility distance, but in a game when you have to look off into the distance quite a bit i dont like seeing the gaps in the environment.

Anyhow, do i attack both victory locations?

Do i have to wait for early to join on my left? Where does he come from?

Thanks for the replies.
Blaugrana
Reactions:

Post by Blaugrana »

I have the latest patch and I also got over 20,000 on this scenario (on the 1st of January, according to my high scores). I thought I was making good progress ...
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

20,000.. Well, you guys just must be good generals then! :)

About attacking both victory locations, if you have more than one brigade you can always attack two locations. But with this particular scenario, IIRC, it's best to concentrate on the Oak Ridge OBJ first, clear the enemy from that, then concentrate of the McPherson's Ridge OBJ.
Blaugrana
Reactions:

Post by Blaugrana »

I'm better than I was, but I believe this was some stroke of luck (technical or otherwise) ...
SouthernSteel
Reactions:

Post by SouthernSteel »

I'm better than I was, but I believe this was some stroke of luck (technical or otherwise) ...
Sounds like cheating to me :S :P
"The time for compromises is past, and we are now determined to maintain our position and make all who oppose us smell Southern powder, feel Southern steel."
Jefferson Davis, 1861
Blaugrana
Reactions:

Post by Blaugrana »

If only I knew how ...