Division Move problem and 'enemy sighted reports'

con20or
Reactions:

Re: Division Move problem and 'enemy sighted reports'

Post by con20or »

Im trying to think of a way of doing this without an explosion of couriers but its very hard. A time delay after issuing the orders wouldnt work, for one thing you might forget and wonder why the units arent moving. As well as that if the programme is calculating and monitoring a time delay, it might as well just create a courier.

Explosion of couriers - for instance if to be done properly as army commander (im guessing an OOB here, might be more/less), after giving an army march order order you would

spawn 3 or 4 couriers that would go to your corps commanders.

These would then each spawn up to 4 or 5 couriers for their division,

these division commanders would then spawn up to 8 couriers each for brigades.

Thats approx 120 couriers...although each level would dissappear when it reached its target im not sure how well the game deals with couriers. I cant remember if regiments get couriers from brigade commanders, i dont think so...but if they do, multiply again by 5 or 6, then conscript all of these couriers into your army and get 2 new cavalry regiments:)

Im beginning to think MTG's method of deleting the ability to move them as a group is best. From the lack of interest this post is getting from the dev team im guessing this is a headache they dont want..
Last edited by con20or on Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

anyone from the dev team care to comment?
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

There are so many aspects of this game and although I really hate to state this, everyone on the team has an area that they focus on. Different people, different areas. We have two people that worked a lot with couriers, one left and one is on hiatus. So there really is not anyone active on the team right now that plays with couriers a whole bunch. It's a weak excuse, but that's the current state. We put in a ton of courier features this release, but by the end of the release, they were not fully tested with the latest batch of other changes. We didn't have anyone testing with the final feature set and in hindsite that was a mistake. We probably added too many, as we just do not have the manpower to support them. Playing couriers is a different style, you either do it or you don't. Different team members champion different areas of the game.

So the only thing that you can do is to get a saved game with an explanation of the bug and how to view it and send it to the support email. It is very doubtful that new features will get added or features changed at this point in the process. Our goal is to get the patch solid.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Hi Norb, thanks for the reply. I just wanted to make sure someone had seen this post and understood the issue, im still not sure if im making myself clear, it doesnt sound like it.

This does not relate to any new features added in the patch, I originally posted about this problem months ago. The new movement map has only extended the problem to corps and army generals.

http://www.norbsoftdev.net/index.php?op ... =124#27467

I dont think I need to send you in a save though, im sure its the same on every system, from the first.

- If you move your general anywhere on the movement map, the whole army/corps/div/brig moves instantly.

- If you use the division formation buttons on the menu bar, the whole division moves instantly.

As long as its something you're aware of and hope to remedy in future I'm happy. If you want me to email offically to the support email I will.
Last edited by con20or on Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

This depends on the commands you are using. Some commands move just the officer, some move everyone. Our scripting language has grown to crazy proportions that it's easy to mess it up. The buttons on the toolbars are coded to commands, so those commands are causing the behavior that you see. Probably best to send a support email, so that it gets in the system. I agree that you probably do not need a saved game.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Sure Norb, ill send a report in. Until then here's a quick summary of the commands that should replicate it. 'Go to me' is not necessary, but you have to give the order as the general.

As any general
'go to me' - 'open movement map' - double click anywhere on the map.

As division general
'go to me' - double click on spot in the distance - click on any division formation.

In each case, every single unit under your command starts to move instantly.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Sent in the report.

So im not only sending in problems, ill try and offer some solutions. The division formation buttons i cant think of a way around, but as for the movement map, maybe you could remove the ability for people to give them selves movement orders on the movement map in the higher difficulty levels?

Im not sure if people use it or not, i know i dont, i move in much smaller bursts, stopping looking around etc.