Scenario 3 "A storm of lead" question

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Re: Scenario 3 "A storm of lead" question

Post by Little Powell »

Everything suggested in this thread is about as good as you can get as far as advice. Just keep cracking at it and you'll get it. A lot of the scenarios are built so that you probably wont' beat it on your first try, or maybe first several tries. But eventually you'll get it. :)
mkeogh76
Reactions:

Re: Scenario 3 "A storm of lead" question

Post by mkeogh76 »

This one was a lot of fun. I've had Gettysburg SOW for two years now, but only now just getting into the game. (I'm a huge Civil War buff. However, I took an extended hiatus from my favorite historical subject due to real life and other interests, but this summer has seen me returning to it with a vengeance. So, I've finally dived into this game.)

Anyway here's how I won a major victory with this scenario.

1) I took the above advice and ignored the McPherson's ridge objective and concentrated solely on grabbing Oak Ridge.

2) I reattached O'Neal's two unattached regiments to his command and kept his brigade unattached from the division and left him alone to inflict as much damage as possible while I organized my main attack.

3) I kept Doles' Brigade unattached to protect my far left and to act as an emergency reserve.

4) I left two batteries in place and moved a third to the same vicinity where they all did significant long-range damage. I did move one battery to my far right in the hopes of using it to support my main effort, but I never could get it positioned to do any real damage.

5) I moved Rodes to the Mummasburg Road and then formed a division line with reserves. With O'Neal and Doles unattached, that formation resulted in Iverson's Brigade on the left and Daniel's Brigade on the right with Ramseur in reserve. My goal was to assault the inter-corps boundary between the I and the XI Corps, pry it open, and then flank the I Corps units on Oak Ridge.

6) It was then just a case of moving forward and giving "all out attack" orders to Iverson and Daniel. By then O'Neal's brigade was hors de combat, but it had done quite a job of rupturing the Union line. I then left Daniel and Iverson to conduct the attack with my only occasionally interfering by overriding a brigade order for a regiment here or there.

7) I eventually had to order Doles to hit advancing XI Corps units that had been threatening Iverson's left and diverting his attention from Oak Ridge. Doles rolled up those XI Corps units, but took significant damage from Federal artillery.

8) On the right, I had to call up Ramseur from reserve to protect Daniel's right and support the attack on Oak Ridge.

9) The pressure was too much for the Federals and almost all their units in the vicinity of Oak Ridge were routed or driven from the field with one regiment surrendering. I moved Rodes onto the objective with 10 minutes to spare and racked-up enough points for a major victory.

I wouldn't say my tactics were particularly clever, but with a powerful force like Rodes' Division one can use sledgehammer tactics to win this scenario rather handily.