"Unit builder"

Airchinapilot
Reactions:

"Unit builder"

Post by Airchinapilot »

This is an idea I've had in my head for a long time and since there is little chance I will ever do it myself (I'm in software development but not in gaming), I will put it out there for you guys to chew on. It's not a new idea but I haven't seen it in use in a historical wargame like this (I forget if Medieval had something like that).

How about making a unit builder along the lines of an RPG character builder but for a unit.

That's it simply in a nutshell. I know it is a gamey idea.

-- you get a certain amount of points
-- allocate it to various stats ex. morale, experience, speed, accuracy, equipment, quality of mounts, etc.

My impetus for it is the stories of how nobles would raise their own troops for the expressed purpose of giving them something to command in the 'grand adventure', Lord Cardigan as the worst example of this.

You could expand it into having a whole mass of points, but then having to allocate it throughout the army. So you could decide between quantity vs quality.

It would then have more relevance in a campaign mode too as you might face decisions about whether to commit elite troops at a certain time thinking they might tilt the tide of battle or retreat and 'save' your troops for another day.
Last edited by Airchinapilot on Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
norb
Reactions:

Re:\"Unit builder\"

Post by norb »

Thanks!

We have actually always had the RPG concept in the game. If you look at our OOBs there are many aspects of units that are based on their level. The old levels.csv file defines the bonuses for those amounts. It's just getting the time to hook it all up. I'm pretty sure the modders have messed with it, but we just haven't fully implemented it into the game. You can play with it yourself by creating a utility to advance those numbers.
MarkT
Reactions:

Re:"Unit builder"

Post by MarkT »

The RPG aspects of a Civil War game are tough. there are two paths to follow: Historical and "What if."

In the "what if" world, you can do anything. you can start as a private and work your way up to General... the problem is, where do you blend it into a historical setting. It is virtually impossible for an individual rising through the ranks to participate in enough battles to move up in the ranks. Not all were battlefield promotions. Army units on both sides, while engaged often, were consistantly present at battles but not "in" the fighting.... The only way to possible be "in" most is to play a form of campaign, where you controll the issue.....

An interesting subject...
Mark S. Tewes
Airchinapilot
Reactions:

Post by Airchinapilot »

You are right it would make sense better in a campaign mode.

I think another way of blending it more with the civil war in a story sense is what if you were a notable in a town and decided to raise volunteers from around the same region. Let's say you could pick your background. Are you a landowner, are you someone who had just come back from military college, are you a retired officer? Based upon that background what sort of personal qualities would you have that might affect the unit(s) you command? What region are you from? How many volunteers might want to join your command? Are they from the city or from the country? Do they have horsemanship or marksmanship in their background? All these could be variables that the user could manipulate for their fictional unit.
69th NYSV
Reactions:

Post by 69th NYSV »

Honestly were it would be most useful is in setting up multi-play games. This is exactly what I was talking about in the other thread and would take care of concerns about balance.

The other area has already been mentioned and that would be in the form of a campaign. Even in the simplest form of having your troops gain experience during/after a battle. It would make the whole thing more personal and add another dimension to the game as you could "Shepard" green troops into becoming elite.
Pvt., 4th Texas Infantry, Co. B
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

I'm dying to do this stuff, it's my major contribution to this game type. I set it up in the first code and have not had a chance to finish it. Now, having to start all over, I'm set back again, but soon I will be able to get all this stuff hooked up and show how this game can be a very cool rpg.
BdColonel
Reactions:

Post by BdColonel »

Hi, my first post here.

I absolutely detest the idea of having any RPG elements in a RTS game.
A commander's duty is to keep his troops supplied and marching in the general direction of the enemy, not to treat them like tamagotchi pets (spending points on accuracy and, dear god, morale :S).

Such an inclusion would really take away from the immersion, while offering something that will be nothing more that a nuisance.

After all, the only reason we play these games is for those few glorious charges that carry the day. I mean who wants to babysit his troops? Just spot the weak spot in the enemy's line and send your grunts forward whether they like it or not, that's what it's all about.

Especially in mp games, having historical setups and the appropriate stats per unit would be all we need. Why spend time building a mock-up army yourself, when you can use the real thing?
Last edited by BdColonel on Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
norb
Reactions:

Re:

Post by norb »

I will only accept your criticism after you see how I plan to do it. Then you can happily rip me a new one if you don't like it. It will not be an RTS, it isn't now and it will never be. I am not writing warcraft for the civil war. So hold off for now, wait a few years until I actually have time to do it, then you can fire away.
BdColonel
Reactions:

Re:

Post by BdColonel »

norb wrote:
I will only accept your criticism after you see how I plan to do it. Then you can happily rip me a new one if you don't like it. It will not be an RTS, it isn't now and it will never be. I am not writing warcraft for the civil war. So hold off for now, wait a few years until I actually have time to do it, then you can fire away.

Hahha. Yeah, I was a bit erm.. absolute in my post. I've played games that had army building elements that were RPG-ish, and it wasn't pretty, but yes, I don't know what your plans are :blush:
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Post by Hancock the Superb »

Norb:
I have to agree - this isn't something for this game, today. Maybe a few games out, you include that in a multiplayer function, but not get it too RPG. For example, you start as a regimental colonel, then work your way up. You can spend time training your troops, the amount of points you have decides how well they learn their lessons. In this case, it has a good element of this game, and continues the realistic side, and the RPG players get what they want.

Just my thoughts.
Hancock the Superb