Cavalry Field: Am I missing something?

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
dpeters95
Reactions:

Re: Cavalry Field: Am I missing something?

Post by dpeters95 »

OK RebBugler, I still can't get past 2600 points on scenario 26 :(

Stopping the dismounted confederates is no problem if you get out there and delay them. But I'll be darned if I can stop or even slow down the confederate cavalry. If I lay back they charge me, wave after wave. If I charge them, I get all my cavalry beat up to the point they can't recover in just the 30 minute scenario and are mostly useless after that. Any tip's on how to stop or slow down the waves of confederate cavalry that seem to wash over me?
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

OK RebBugler, I still can't get past 2600 points on scenario 26 :(

Stopping the dismounted confederates is no problem if you get out there and delay them. But I'll be darned if I can stop or even slow down the confederate cavalry. If I lay back they charge me, wave after wave. If I charge them, I get all my cavalry beat up to the point they can't recover in just the 30 minute scenario and are mostly useless after that. Any tip's on how to stop or slow down the waves of confederate cavalry that seem to wash over me?
I brought the NJ boys up to cover the objective the full time. This leaves the other units free to hit and run. Hit and run fast, then find cover...lots of fences. Make sure the cover provides for constant fire. If you must, bring all guns up to within canister range of the objective...this provides an easy win if you position them well and protect them.

Guess I just gave this one away...you're welcome...cause you gave my Brinkerhoffs credibility. :)
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
dpeters95
Reactions:

Post by dpeters95 »

Well, thanks RebBugler but I have essentially tried all those things. That is how I got to the 2600 something score. I was stuck in the 1850's until I tried those tactics. You need a lot of artillery support. I even tried massing all my cavalry into one large group near the objective. Ughh, let's just say that's not the way to go! Even when I do a good job of fending off the numerous confederate cavalry that I initially see, poof, all of a sudden here comes more confederate cavalry. I can keep the VP the whole time and I can beat the confederate dismounted units, but those mounted devils!!! :S

I guess I will just have to keep at it. No trying for a "better" score here. If I can just get 3000 points I will be very satisfied. This is really one tough scenario, at least for me. As Little Powell indicates above, these being historically accurate scenarios certainly gives me new appreciation for the commanders that were really involved!
dpeters95
Reactions:

Post by dpeters95 »

YESSSSSSS! I finally did it, 3164 on Scenario 26... :woohoo:

I think what helped me turn the corner was moving the officer's around more to help build up my cavalry. I noticed they were spending a lot of time with my dismounted cavalry that didn't need it as much as my mounted cav. I TC'd them and was able to build up my mounted cav. so they could be used more effectively. Their additional points at the end put me over the MV level.

Thanks for your assistance RebBugler. I enjoyed it. This one was a handfull.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

YESSSSSSS! I finally did it, 3164 on Scenario 26... :woohoo:

I think what helped me turn the corner was moving the officer's around more to help build up my cavalry. I noticed they were spending a lot of time with my dismounted cavalry that didn't need it as much as my mounted cav. I TC'd them and was able to build up my mounted cav. so they could be used more effectively. Their additional points at the end put me over the MV level.

Thanks for your assistance RebBugler. I enjoyed it. This one was a handfull.
Congrats, glad this was a challenging and enjoyable scenario for you. I was going to run it again to add some more tips, but I was waiting until I get the cavalry in on my BloodBath mod and test both together, but it is becoming quite a project. Now, I can relax knowing this scenario isn't a bust. :)
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
dpeters95
Reactions:

Post by dpeters95 »

RebBugler, just thought I would let you know, I have now finished all the Cavalry Field scenarios! You may rest assured that they are all certainly winable, a couple were very difficult, but they can be beaten with determination. Thank you sir for your efforts. I had a blast!
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

RebBugler, just thought I would let you know, I have now finished all the Cavalry Field scenarios! You may rest assured that they are all certainly winable, a couple were very difficult, but they can be beaten with determination. Thank you sir for your efforts. I had a blast!
Awesome job - a real feat. Congrats.
dpeters95
Reactions:

Post by dpeters95 »

Thank you LP!

Now where is that Pipe Creek Map Pack ;)
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Thank you LP!

Yeah since you beat the Cavalry Field Scenarios, you're definitely ready for the Pipe Creek challenge. :evil:

Have at it!

http://www.norbsoftdev.net/index.php?op ... Itemid=124
Last edited by Little Powell on Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
dpeters95
Reactions:

Post by dpeters95 »

Thank you LP!

Yeah since you beat the Cavalry Field Scenarios, you're definitely ready for the Pipe Creek challenge. :evil:

Have at it!

http://www.norbsoftdev.net/index.php?op ... Itemid=124

Wow, what timing. :woohoo: I was just kidding above but this is great! Now where is that charge card :lol: