Cavalry Field: Am I missing something?

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
Taiaha
Reactions:

Cavalry Field: Am I missing something?

Post by Taiaha »

I'm coming back to the game after a few months away, so I'm catching up with all the changes. I'm really loving a lot of the tweaks to sounds, artillery behavior (nice to see bursting shells actually doing damage) and I was excited to see the cavalry field scenarios now included. Until I played a few of them.

Now let me say at the outset that before my enforced absence from the Civil War arena I'd beaten all but two of the other scenarios (we want those guns, and Stannard which it is refreshing/disturbing, lo these many months gone, to see is still not recording my scores!) and some of those promotions came with crushing margins. I'm also a TC2M vet, so I know my way around.

The cavalry field scenarios have me beat, however. After ten tries, I'm basically concluding the Brinkerhoff ridge, for example is unwinnable, at least for me. I've tried multiple strategies, but I feel like I'm not so much being defeated by the enemy as I am by the scenario design (sorry Reb Bugler!). With a lot of luck I can get to about 3200. 4200 seems unreachable (and I've also felt that the point totals for the other scenarios I've played seem to have been set extremely high given the tight artificial constraints that some of these scenarios come with).

The first problem seems to be that the dismounted cavalry are like tits on a bull when it comes to combat. Supposedly they are armed with a fast-loading weapon. . .I see no evidence of this at all. I've had a rebel company taking fire from no fewer than five companies and they will happily stand there for a good fifteen minutes (which, of course, completely kills your chances of beating the scenario). These weapons seem to do minimal, if any damage to enemy units. Historically, were they really that useless?

Of course, they might be more useful at a closer range. . .but we'll never know because the cavalry run like a bunch of terrified school girls whenever anyone gets close to them. They can be dug in behind a stone wall, with these fabulous breech-loading carbines, and as soon as the enemy comes within about 80 yards they run away squealing. Then when you try to work them in close to the enemy (and I don't really consider 80 yards to be that close) they will suddenly conclude "Oh my god! The enemy is, like, totally right there! We are so running away!" Now I know the Union cavalry didn't have the greatest rep during the early part of the war but really?

Inevitably I lose some part of the wall because of a combination of these factors. So my only strategy then is to (as the scenario suggest) try and rout every single company. This becomes almost impossible with troops who a) won't melee and b) can't seem to hit the broadside of a barn from ten paces. I end up completely surrounding enemy units who then prove completely unconcerned at receiving fire from every single direction and take a break from fighting to make a pot of coffee before they decide to retreat in a leisurely fashion after about ten or fifteen minutes.

I've tried about four of the other cavalry scenarios so far, and the cavalry seem similarly useless in those as well. I'm guessing there are probably ways to win these, but to tell you the truth I'm starting not to want to. These scenarios are sucking all the joy out of the game for me at the moment.

Any suggestions from any cavalry vets out there?
RebBugler
Reactions:

Re: Cavalry Field: Am I missing something?

Post by RebBugler »

The cavalry field scenarios have me beat, however. After ten tries, I'm basically concluding the Brinkerhoff ridge, for example is unwinnable, at least for me. I've tried multiple strategies, but I feel like I'm not so much being defeated by the enemy as I am by the scenario design (sorry Reb Bugler!). With a lot of luck I can get to about 3200. 4200 seems unreachable (and I've also felt that the point totals for the other scenarios I've played seem to have been set extremely high given the tight artificial constraints that some of these scenarios come with).
Sarge said this (2nd Virginia) was unwinnable also, I replayed it thinking something went amiss, got a 4500. I'm not as good a player as Sarge, but his aggressiveness killed the victory. I hint strongly upfront that you must get engagement points up first, then, when up to a 300 or 400 point score, secure the first objective. Otherwise, Yanks will be all over you, with no hope to win. This delay tactic is crucial or you will have to hold the wall too long after you secured all the objectives.

Historically, the Rebs didn't have a chance. I followed historic guidelines, and gave them a chance. Sure relished feedback on this one, but if folks get turned off by thinking my designs are too tough or unwinnable, guess I'll have to design easier scenarios, or get fired.

Testers did not have problems beating the Union version, maybe the tough variants just keep coming your way.

Regarding the dismounted troops, we tried to follow historic guidelines with their design. They are defensive in nature, retreat when engaged too close, and, avoid melees and charges. If you learn their nature, you can win with them...we did as testers.

If you just don't like their behavior, then we apologize for our effort, but not for striving for historical accuracy.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Post by JC Edwards »

Oh I finally nailed this one.......got a 5000+ something. Took a minute...... ;)
'The path that is not seen, nor hidden, should always be flanked'
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Yes, the cavalry scenarios are no walk in the park. We figured that once players have beat the stock scenarios, then they are ready for the Cavalry scenarios. Just like the others, they can be beat but it could take several tries and it helps to get some tips from the testers and designers. They have all been beaten or we wouldn't have released them. Again, some of them took several tries by the testers to win.

Take a break from Brinkerhoff and try out Clawhammer, it's one of the easier one's (although still a challenge). Also try out Tige Anderson's Georgians. Shouldn't have too much trouble getting a MV on that one, but you'll be wiping the sweat off your brow afterwards. :)
Last edited by Little Powell on Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

Also try out Tige Anderson's Georgians. Shouldn't have too much trouble getting a MV on that one, but you'll be wiping the sweat off your brow afterwards.
I second that. I am by no means a seasoned player and I was able to beat that one.
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
DavidAcheson140PVI
Reactions:

Post by DavidAcheson140PVI »

Yes, the cavalry scenarios are no walk in the park. We figured that once players have beat the stock scenarios, then they are ready for the Cavalry scenarios. Just like the others, they can be beat but it could take several tries and it helps to get some tips from the testers and designers. They have all been beaten or we wouldn't have released them. Again, some of them took several tries by the testers to win.

Take a break from Brinkerhoff and try out Clawhammer, it's one of the easier one's (although still a challenge). Also try out Tige Anderson's Georgians. Shouldn't have too much trouble getting a MV on that one, but you'll be wiping the sweat off your brow afterwards. :)
Just tried clawhammer and got over 6000 on it
Virginians with me! Who will come with me?! - Lewis Armistead, July 3rd, 1863
Taiaha
Reactions:

Post by Taiaha »

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I'll just saddle up and soldier on. No need to apologize for striving for historical accuracy! I am still curious about the weapon behavior though. I didn't expect that merely equipping troops with breech-loaders would amount to an "I win" button, but I did expect them to be a little more effective. It seems to me the day one scenarios featuring cavalry did seem to show the carbines being more effective, but maybe I just imagined that (I'll have to go back and revisit those, I guess).

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement. I think if I can win even one of these I'll be happy. Just sorry to see my chances of making general disappearing out the window!
dpeters95
Reactions:

Post by dpeters95 »

Does anyone have any better tactics for Scenario 22 :(

I have tried this scenario 7 times and I can't get more than 4150. I hold both VP's the entire scenario, cause 2 of the 3 confederate regiments to surrender, and drive the third from the field, all with ZERO routes on my side (excluding the opening skirmishers that route). I have no idea what else I can possibly do to get any more points???
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Does anyone have any better tactics for Scenario 22 :(

I have tried this scenario 7 times and I can't get more than 4150. I hold both VP's the entire scenario, cause 2 of the 3 confederate regiments to surrender, and drive the third from the field, all with ZERO routes on my side (excluding the opening skirmishers that route). I have no idea what else I can possibly do to get any more points???
If it was designed by RebBugler, it's going to be TOUGH.. :evil:

I wish I could offer some advice but I haven't played that one in a while. I'll see if I can give it a run or hopefully Reb can give you some advice.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

dpeters95

Hey, 4150...and you can't grunge out 50 more points for a Major Victory? :laugh:

Something is amiss though if you captured and routed all the enemy. It has a scripted evtintrouble to kick in an instant Major Victory. Still, that's no surprise because that command is with issues, as it pooped several times during testing for me. However, it works more times than not.

You're obviously a good player, I don't build scenarios for folks to blow through them, and with a couple of more blows, you'll probably nail this one.

Sorry about the flaky evtintrouble command, I'll work on getting it stable and effective. Folks must have a Major Victory granted them if they annihilate the enemy, regardless of VP points.

Thanks for the report, and Good Generaling to you Sir... :)
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...