mini map

General Question/Answer/Announcement about NSD. We are a small independent game development team and we value our community. If you ask, we'll answer.
ironsight
Reactions:

Re:mini map

Post by ironsight »

Estabu Wrote: The problem that I find with TC'ing a brigade is that they do not necessarily confront an enemy, unless you move their individual units. If you place the brigade in a formation they will stay there and even if attacked they only regiments that are attacked are the only ones that will fight. I think if you TC a brigade they should stay in their spot but still have some form of self preservation.
BINGO!! almost! Your last sentence just about describes what Hancock and i were describing regarding Commanders strictly obeying orders. TCing is well Taking Direct Control and IMO should stay as is.
Maybe new control button icons called:
'half-arse TCing'
or
'follow orders sir...or i'll kick your arse'
or better yet
'follow orders or you'll be court martialled and hanged'
:)
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Post by JC Edwards »

Firing Squad!!! :evil:
'The path that is not seen, nor hidden, should always be flanked'
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Post by Hancock the Superb »

Or even better: Hang him as a spy!
Hancock the Superb
Gfran64
Reactions:

Post by Gfran64 »

I hope I'm understanding this correctly. We are discussing whether a Superior officer will be able to TC an inferior officer's units and control them directly while both officers are playing MP. If we're going for realism, then I don't that that a commanding general should be able to do that, unless that inferior commander is in LOS. IE: While playing MP, I order a brigade to hold in reserve in the woods on the left flank and he ignores the road and decides to go pick some corn and get a drink on the way. I then TC his brigade and get him back on the road to his destination then unTC him or keep him TC'd. Is that the question? If it is then I think for the sake of realism you should not be able to TC any unit that is not in your direct LOS. I also think the wayward commander should take some kind of a hit, (experience) for being a dumb ass.

Regards,

Greg
Last edited by Gfran64 on Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
ironsight
Reactions:

Post by ironsight »

Greg,
i think what we're discussing is the strict obeying of orders irregardless if its a MP or stand alone battle. The advantage is the unit's commander doesn't have to be unTC'd to fight off an attack on his own.
As for line of sight TCing, mini-map viewing, battle viewing limitations such as elevation limits, commander in area limits, etc.... i don't believe from what i've read here so far, nothing conclusive has been mentioned on how all that is going to be finally handled.
A big question for me is whether a MPer will be able to see all of his opponents units on the mini-map or will it be strictly LOS! I believe in TC2M and i could be wrong, the AI of the enemy has a disadvantage in that it needs battlefield LOS to spot the player's forces. At least thats how it seems to me because i can sneak a unit close to an enemy unit out of LOS and the enemy does nothing.
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

In addition, sometimes a bug shows up and you get to route a perfectly good enemy regiment, it just doesn't fire at you. I don't know if this is LOS related or what.
Hancock the Superb
ironsight
Reactions:

Post by ironsight »

Never encountered that one Hancock, but it sounds like an easy rout!
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Of course it is. B) Or they don't face you and give you their back, and fire at their own troops!
Hancock the Superb
ironsight
Reactions:

Post by ironsight »

Hancock Wrote:Or they don't face you and give you their back, and fire at their own troops!

You're kidding right? Out of the hundreds of battles i've played, never seen that one!
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Post by JC Edwards »

ironsight wrote:
Hancock Wrote:Or they don't face you and give you their back, and fire at their own troops!

You're kidding right? Out of the hundreds of battles i've played, never seen that one!
Me either.:dry:
'The path that is not seen, nor hidden, should always be flanked'