Courier Question?

Davinci
Reactions:

Re: Courier Question?

Post by Davinci »

That was quite funny with the convoy of couriers.

OK, looking at the pictures, this is what you are doing wrong, and I’ll try to explain this better.

If you use the Divisional Commander to Take-Command of everyone such as pressing the 1 key – everybody is now under the Take-Command mode.

You, only want the brigade leaders to be under this, not the regiments.

That will eliminate the need for so many couriers spawning, and racing in the same direction.

Now, even if you can see a clearer path, the AI might not, but this is normal, people drive for years, and there is not a guarantee that they are taking the shortest path.

Hey, I have a GPS that had to have been made by Exxon – it never takes the shortest route.

***** – Another consideration they you may wish to implement would be to place the Corps \ Divisional Commander closer to the vicinity of the units that you \ they are planning on moving.

And this would keep the realism of the time, by having the leader sitting on his horse watching as the troops prepared to get under way.

Yes - the code is already in the game, and I agree with the Team Members that stated that this courier-system was probably never designed to do everything that we demand from it!

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Con20or – you are an Open Play player, correct?

Well, Norb posted this in another topic not too long ago, and I think that it has great potential pertaining to the Open Play Games.

The AI is now thinking at a rate of 40 calculations per frame, If I’m saying that right, but there is a way of making it think better.

In your ScrougeofWar - Gettysburg \ Work \ folder – there is a file called SOWGB.ini – I provided a picture at the bottom of the screen.

Open that file with notepad and add this to the bottom of that file:

[DEBUG]
DbgLvl=1
aicount=60

This will make the AI fight better, and they will constantly try to out-flank you, which requires you to continue to adjust your battle-line.

Now, the downside to this is that it will slightly take a toll on your games performance, I’ll say that it probably cost me one or two FPS.

So, I’m going to continue to play the game and try to gauge the right number that works for me, and my style of playing, maybe 60 is too high.

Basically, you may need to adjust that number to your own games performance.

Explanation: Strictly my own interpretations:

[DEBUG] – used to test or alter what you see on the screen:
DbgLvl=1 – I use this to tell me my games performance – FPS – not needed above \ optional
aicount=60 – used to increase the AI \ thinking cycles

davinci
Attachments
configuration.jpg
configuration.jpg (77.37 KiB) Viewed 114 times
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

That was quite funny with the convoy of couriers.
yeh, i messed up that part :silly: , that why i didnt get a pic of the division general ordering the brigade commanders. Those couriers were just TC'ing the regiments - thanks for rumbling me.

But the principle is the same, the hierarchy of couriers is followed, and the further away a unit is the longer it takes to get the order. Thats what im hoping for, and seems really promising that it can already do it with a bit of a work-around. Hopefully it will be fixed in the next patch, or with the new map pack.

yes, i play open-play alot. In regards the Ai cycles tip, i saw that post, and it was interesting, but my pc struggles abit already unfortunately.
Last edited by con20or on Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

just want to make sure LP or one of the others on the de team saw these last few posts.