Napoleonic Wars mod

gunship24
Reactions:

Napoleonic Wars mod

Post by gunship24 »

I thought I would start this thread carrying on from the other thread about the possibility of a mod. I am currently doing work on a napoleonic mod to represent the era 1805-1815 covering the height and fall of Napoleon's empire. The SOW engine would be excellent for this and there's certainly enough to get a nappy mod out there to be enjoyed using the excellent game norb and co have created. It would be difficult to emulate the entire fighting doctirne of the era, especially cavalry but theres enough to get going with.

I have done some work in the past in the other game, mostly sprite rendering, and am currently playing around with the csv files. I am confident on modding infantry and artillery behaviour however cavalry will need some thinking. To start with I am just concentrating on dismountable types which the engine allows and purely mounted cavalry will require some thought.

The sprites I can render are from the Lordz napoleonic mod for rome total war.

While I develope the mod please feel free to discuss what you would like to see or any ideas or historic information you would like share, e.g. unit sizes, use of cavalry, new formations etc. My particular interest is the invasion of Russia in 1812 although I find the entire wars period fascinating. I am currently thinking about Napoleon's war against Austria around 1809 as an initial mod.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Re: Napoleonic Wars mod

Post by Little Powell »

Looking forward to this as I'm sure many others are too. You should post some screenshots etc. to show your progress. :)
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

gunship24 wrote:
I am currently thinking about Napoleon's war against Austria around 1809 as an initial mod.
Indeed, Eckmuhl and Wagram are two of my favorite battles. I too would certainly look forward to such a mod. But as you pointed out, cavalry behavior would be inferior. Also, the AI would not know how or when to form squares. HistWar, even with its deficiencies, is still the best game engine for early 19th century warfare.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
gunship24
Reactions:

Post by gunship24 »

Here are two types of Austrian infantry in shako and the 1797 helmet that was still in use. They are of German nationality. the other type, Hungarian, will come later. There are two new flags carried by infantry regiments of the time, "Ordinarstandarte" the yellow one and "Leibstandarte" the white one.

The Asutrian army mostly wore white. Hungarian infantry dressed similar to thier German counterparts but wore light blue pantaloons. Grenadiers were dressed like the infantry but had fur caps and carried swords. I will be doing more over the week, including Grenadiers, Grenzers (milita), artillery, cavalry and officers.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Post by Michael Slaunwhite »

gunship24, please keep up with this work, it's something else, the graphics are superb.

Very, very nice work.
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

Very nice! Looking forward to this one. :laugh:
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
gunship24
Reactions:

Post by gunship24 »

Some renders of artillery:

Image Image Image Image Image Image
rclark14
Reactions:

Post by rclark14 »

Bad ass- I would rather have Shiloh or Franklin though from Civil War- I enjoy all the mods- good endeavor
Tacloban
Reactions:

Post by Tacloban »

Gunship, Those look great! Press on!
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

Very impressive!