Napoleonic Wars mod

Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Re: Napoleonic Wars mod

Post by Michael Slaunwhite »

Does anyone know the status of making this mod MP compatible, or even if its possible?

Thanks.
We have to wait for Norb to allow it. As far I can tell he hasn't done that yet. Who knows maybe the next patch...(we can always hope).

:)
gunship24
Reactions:

Post by gunship24 »

Wow! this thread has over 11,000 views :ohmy: . Thats good going!

Lets keep this thread going.

Feel free to discuss ideas for future napoleonic mods, or things you would like see. After playing the mods theres always things i would like to improve, these might even be improvements to the fighting, or marching, perhaps getting units to move quicker, making them fallback easier, or not at all for example? anything goes here regardless of if you think it can/cant be done. :)
Baldwin
Reactions:

Post by Baldwin »

Considering the popularity of this thread I believe there is a lot of following for this mod both in the SOW and other gamers who haven't purchased the game. If NSD would help you 'prep' it for MP that would be excellent. If they say they have too much on their plate then they are missing out in the meantime on many more sales. They could make it a patch/install file so that they could still hide the 'unit common' or whatever file(s) they want kept secret.

I would play this mod over Histwar anyday, commanding a whole Army is too much IMO. I believe they would draw a large amount of Napoleonic gamers into this game who want MP and think NAP TW is too arcade-like and may prefer CoC as well as controlling corps/div/brig instead of an entire army. Not to mention games can have 20+ players which is unheard of from any real time tactical strategy game in the NAP era.
redcoat
Reactions:

Post by redcoat »

while personally i couldnt be less interested in mp,i think it would be an exellent addition for the napoleonic game and would bring in a lot more people for the vanilla game too.
for myself id like to see the battlefield tactics brought as close to the real thing as possible,ie;
column attack.
volly fire.
cavary skirmishers\pickets shooting from horseback and others.
id like the possibility to create period maps.i'd learn mapmaking if we could do that!
occupiable features on those maps like redoubts and buildings.
drummer\musician sprites.
proper music. (i know,your doing that gunney!)
and of course the mighty prussian and russian armys.
there,that lot should be easy! cheers
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Painting1.jpg
Painting2.jpg
Mike - absolutely beautiful.
gunship24
Reactions:

Post by gunship24 »

Thats one thing i love about this game is that you dont control all the units on your side. This is something that feels unique to this style of game, and its great fun to be ordered about the AI, it feels very real and dramatic. And it works!

Multiplayer would be good. But so would a more open stock multiplayer which is basically what the napolonic mod would be like. So improvements to that would be best first.

Better march music is coming. Although there is a limitaiton it seems that you cant have different march music per unit, only a generic list of 6 tracks.

Musician sprites are doable, and something i have experimented with. Unfortunately it means that the random population feature wouldnt work and i would rather have that than a few drummers.

Cavalry shooting from horseback is very doable. It would mean that if outside auto charge range (100 yards) the unit will fire their weapon, i didnt think that sort of thing was done though? Perhaps this should be implemented for light cavalry?
redcoat
Reactions:

Post by redcoat »

that was part of cavalrys job,although it was light cav armed with carbines and not your cuirassiers etc.ive seen some contemporary prints showing french hussars skirmishing and whatnot.

is there no way of doing more types of music? it played such a great part in napoleonic battles,perhaps the high he gods on mount norbolympus could help us out! cheers

edit;
another thought,its a small thing but i belive it would greatly improve the look of the game.
can we make the colours carried by the various regts look as if they are actually being held by the sprite whos has that task? rather than floating just above their head?

and how about some units in greatcoats? cheers
Last edited by redcoat on Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Post by Michael Slaunwhite »

Painting1.jpg
Painting2.jpg
Mike - absolutely beautiful.
WOW those are old. I wish I painted these I really do but as always I'm lazy, and used a program called "Foto Sketch" which can be downloaded from here: http://www.fotosketcher.com/

It does a pretty cool job. I know I posted a few others here as well..I just can't find them.

If you want to see some cool pics, check out the one's I converted over to tabletop...now those are cool!

Thanks Con20or, I always appreciate great taste!
Last edited by Michael Slaunwhite on Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gunship24
Reactions:

Post by gunship24 »

is there no way of doing more types of music? it played such a great part in napoleonic battles,perhaps the high he gods on mount norbolympus could help us out! cheers

edit;
another thought,its a small thing but i belive it would greatly improve the look of the game.
can we make the colours carried by the various regts look as if they are actually being held by the sprite whos has that task? rather than floating just above their head?

and how about some units in greatcoats? cheers
Still working on the music. I think what will work is to pick several tunes that sound like march tunes and use those across all units. Historical accuracy will have to be wavered here.

It is possible to make a flag carrier sprite that is holding a flag. It could also be animated so the flag moves around in the wind. There still requires to be a 'flag' to actually select the unit. If a flag carrier existed then i suppose you could make the small unit icons i use for commanders and artillery be the unit selector. This would look like Total War. Difficulty with two flags of course.

Other sprites I have toyed with is to increase the flag sprite to include a musician or drummer to walk along side him.

I have also played around with rendering out two sprites standing next to each other for the regular infantry to show therfore 250 men in a unit rather than 125 single sprites. I needed to change the formations to make them fit, and reduced the overall size a bit as i think they are the equivalent of about 12 foot high in the stock game. The column was quite long!
Last edited by gunship24 on Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingles of the 57th
Reactions:

Post by Ingles of the 57th »

Don't forget the Colonel's Piper for the highland regiments. Any of the upcoming OOB's likely to include Scottish Troops ? Different tartan for each regimental kilt and plaid ... ouch.

As the Duke of Wellington said of his "ladies from hell", "I don't know if they frighten the enemy, but by God, Uxbridge, they frighten me ! "

Thanks for the 57th West Middlesex in the Albuhera (We always put an 'h' in it in the Regiment) OOB. The name 'Diehards' that you quote in the OOB was actually earned at Albuhera (see below). So perhaps was really only valid for later OOB's.

Geoff Laver

Late of Her Britannic Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot.
"Die hard, my men. Die hard the 57th."
Last words of Col Ingles commanding His Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot at Albuhera 1811

Marshal Beresford wrote in his despatch "Our dead, particularly the 57th Regiment,were lying as they fought in the ranks, every wound in front"