Bugles & Flags XIX

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
Davinci
Reactions:

Re: Bugles & Flags XVIII

Post by Davinci »

Reb - Sort of Curious here, how many of your newer Flags have you ran at the same time, and what impact did you notice pertaining to FPS?

Thanks and BTW : The new Fags look Great!

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Reb - Sort of Curious here, how many of your newer Flags have you ran at the same time, and what impact did you notice pertaining to FPS?

Thanks and BTW : The new Fags look Great!

davinci
Hey D

Glad you're appreciating the flags, even if they don't droop. :P

Running GB Army level uses the most flags, I'm guessing around 175. Compared to past flag mods and stock play I'm seeing some improvement, the 8K texture sheets appear to be helping performance. When you consider that the stock game runs 130 low definition flags on 32 2K texture sheets compared to this mod's running 175 high definition flags on 11 8K sheets, the choice is clear. But I didn't really answer your question, because, to accurately test efficiency every unit would have to have a different flag in an OOB with the same number of units as flags...
I probably won't get around to this 'Urge to Know'. ;)
Last edited by RebBugler on Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

But I didn't really answer your question, because, to accurately test efficiency every unit would have to have a different flag in an OOB with the same number of units as flags...
Hmm, Interesting Idea!

I probably could get around to creating such an OOB if I were not doing twelve different things at the moment.

But, its sort of hard to Play without Modding something, and Modding something without Playing!

Thanks, for the information either way.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Update, version 18.85, June 24th, 2018

- sixteen new USA flags called from the Red River Campaign OOB
Sets 25-26 West.jpg
Sets 25-26 West.jpg (159.7 KiB) Viewed 682 times
Sets 27-28 West.jpg
Sets 27-28 West.jpg (163.6 KiB) Viewed 682 times
We just went over 300 flags, 304 to be exact, with one more set of 16 to go for this upgrade of 'Making B&F the Flagship' for many of the mods I've designed flags for. Without all the appreciation received along the way burn out might well have stymied this effort...but WE persevered, thanks for the support.

I need to upgrade the Grog Toolbar in accordance to new functions introduced by the 1.03 patch just recently so the last flag set may be delayed. I'm anxious to get the flag upgrade done, but WL has long been neglected and this new patch includes some much needed fixes, additional functions, and improvements...Cheers.
BigDuke66
Reactions:

Post by BigDuke66 »

Using this mod(Version 18.85) I get a repeatable crash when trying to load "GBurg05-July1-The Bullet Is Not Molded Which Is To Kill Me". I access the scenario by using the GB Stock Scenarios Mod Enabled(http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/modifi ... od-enabled) but that mod is not the problem as the scenario loads when turning off the Bugles & Flags mod.

The log lists:
15:00:00 Graphic not found GFX_9thCS_Louisiana_Tigers
15:00:00 Flag not found while loading unit: 9th Louisiana|UGLB_CSA_INF_5

But I'm not sure if that is really the reason for the crash because sometimes the game crashes and an error screen for the AC3filter shows up.
Not sure if this helps but last things I see when game tries to load is a GFX file with death in its name but the game just quits too fast to get it fully.
Last edited by BigDuke66 on Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Using this mod(Version 18.85) I get a repeatable crash when trying to load "GBurg05-July1-The Bullet Is Not Molded Which Is To Kill Me". I access the scenario by using the GB Stock Scenarios Mod Enabled(http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/modifi ... od-enabled) but that mod is not the problem as the scenario loads when turning off the Bugles & Flags mod.

The log lists:
15:00:00 Graphic not found GFX_9thCS_Louisiana_Tigers
15:00:00 Flag not found while loading unit: 9th Louisiana|UGLB_CSA_INF_5

But I'm not sure if that is really the reason for the crash because sometimes the game crashes and an error screen for the AC3filter shows up.
Not sure if this helps but last things I see when game tries to load is a GFX file with death in its name but the game just quits too fast to get it fully.
Sure is nice when folks reporting an issue include all the necessary info needed for the author to find and fix said issue...Much Appreciated!

Just tested it, crashed, found and fixed, tested again as good. And yes, it was a flag name error. Checked the same issue in the other GB OOBs and found no other errors so the rest of the stock GB scenarios should be good to go.

This will be corrected with the next B&F update coming in a few weeks or you can fix it right now by replacing the corrupted OOB. Its path is: C:\SOWGB\Mods\Bugles & Flags XVIII\OOBs

Unzip and copy to the OOBs folder, overwrite original OOB...
The attachment oob_Gettysburg_Day1.zip is no longer available
Attachments
oob_Gettysburg_Day1.zip
(14.81 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Last edited by RebBugler on Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Update coming soon...

Meanwhile, if you're interested, check out this LINK describing the designs below. They are in the first stage of development ready to be obliqued then set in motion...
1862 Union Designating Flags.jpg
1862 Union Designating Flags.jpg (64.37 KiB) Viewed 681 times
If anyone sees any discrepancies with the linked article please feedback. Sorry about the poorly OCR'd article, but it's the only source I could find. I'll experiment with the corps flags having two flags on a staff, but I still need more info, like more than four corps questions, so this idea is backlogged for now. The regimental setup with three flags represented per regiment will also be backlogged, probably for forever considering a specialty dual-flag would have to be designed for EVERY regiment. :woohoo:

Threw the battles timeline in for some possible discussion. Quote from the article:
The Army of the Potomac's General Orders No. 102 was issued 24 March 1862, under Major-General George B. McClellan's direction, and gave the Union Army its first comprehensive army-wide flag designating system.
A year later General Hooker replaced this system with the Badges and a whole new system for the flags.
Timeline for 1st Union Designating Flags 1862-63.jpg
Timeline for 1st Union Designating Flags 1862-63.jpg (268.34 KiB) Viewed 681 times
The Battle of Shiloh probably didn't see these flags since it was so close to McClellan's order date of March 24th. Still, if the flags were ready for distribution when the order was made, they possibly could have made their way onto the Shiloh battlefield. Thoughts? All the other battles on this list should have had this system of flag designations for the Union. I haven't had TC2M up and running for years, two computers ago, and I can't recall for the life of me whether it used this flag array for Second Manassas...Anyone in the know about this?

As introduced, update coming soon...But not too soon. Besides getting the flags moving, also lots of OOB work to get them situated before release.
Last edited by RebBugler on Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

Thanks for the really interesting link Reb.
Looking forward to the update - the amout of research/work that you put into this is astounding!

Cheers,

David(jolly)
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Update, version 18.95, August 3rd, 2018

- sixteen new USA designating flags included in the Red River Campaign, South Mountain and Antietam OOBs
Sets 1-2 DesFlags.jpg
Sets 1-2 DesFlags.jpg (152.33 KiB) Viewed 680 times
Sets 3-4 DesFlags.jpg
Sets 3-4 DesFlags.jpg (154.32 KiB) Viewed 680 times
Discussion about these flags two posts above

One more flag upgrade to go and this 320 flag upgrade marathon should be finished. What's left came to light with this quote from my source for the 1862 designating flags:
"The national colour is topped with an eagle while the regimental colour has :t Spike tinial. They are both carried in the front and centre of the regimental front."

So, if I'm reading this right, a Spike finial topped the regimental flags, not an eagle finial as I have them now. Coming soon, spiked finials for the regimental flags, as the quest for historical accuracy flutters on.
Last edited by RebBugler on Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Update, version 18.96, August 9th, 2018

- USA designating flags now assigned to artillery batteries as to division and included in the Red River Campaign, South Mountain and Antietam OOBs; also new 'Gun' assignments

Continuing the 1862 designating flags system with artillery according to this quote:
Artillery batteries were to carry the colours of the division to which they belonged as well as a right-angled triangular flag 6 ft, long and 3 ft. wide at the start
Source
The crossed cannons insignia came with a later order.
Artillery Designating Flags.jpg
Artillery Designating Flags.jpg (216.58 KiB) Viewed 679 times

- The bronze eagle finials for all 26 if the US regimental flags have been replaced by spiked finials
Spike finial replaces eagle.jpg
Spike finial replaces eagle.jpg (195.52 KiB) Viewed 679 times
The new regimental look...
Spike finial examples.jpg
Spike finial examples.jpg (240.55 KiB) Viewed 679 times
Well, for all intents and purposes, this about wraps up the HD Flag Upgrade of 2018. I'll do some more testing, still haven't covered all the OOBs as thoroughly as need be, and maybe find some errors or better placements. But otherwise, and barring any reported issues or suggestions, this update/upgrade is a done deal.

Neat history lesson we've all learned (or at least me) about the 1862 US designating flags. Now we can bash other Civil War games that tout historical accuracy for not displaying them accurately, or at all. :lol: