The Defense -- A Tactical Checklist

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
WriterJWA
Reactions:

The Defense -- A Tactical Checklist

Post by WriterJWA »

For a few weeks now I've been condensing observations made and lessons learned during MP battles (and elsewhere) into something of a guide for new and veteran players. The purpose is to pass on concepts I've used to great success and have seen other player use to win battles.

It's not my intention to appear conceited with this, but rather place what I've learned in the hands of others and humbly acknowledge there may be many other ways to achieve the same results. Also, though I believe much of what follows will work in single player gaming, I've not spent too much time testing it in that realm. Truth be told, a dozen (or more) human players fighting it out over randomly chosen objectives provides a much more dynamic and complex tactical situation than a single computer IA can fairly be asked to provide.

Now ... on to the Defense!

Before examination of infantry in the attack can be made, a player must first understand how to properly defend a piece of ground. An attack, if successful, will ultimately result in the attacker reverting to the defensive after the objective terrain is taken. Knowledge of good defensive practices is crucial when holding victory locations.

Here is a checklist for establishing a defense position.
  • Is the position on higher ground than a likely enemy axis of advance?
  • Does the position have stone walls, fences, or woods for defensive use?
  • Does the position have clear, long lines of sight?
  • Is there a creek between your proposed defense line and the likeliest enemy axis of advance?
  • Is there room on the position to place artillery out of range of direct rifle fire and while still capable of placing fire on advancing enemy units?
  • Is the position tied with and easily supported by adjacent friendly units?
  • Are your regiments fresh with a fatigue level of “Okay” or better?
  • Are you capable of establishing a reserve?
  • Does the position offer line of sight protection for friendly infantry from an enemy artillery bombardment when not under direct attack?
  • Do you have a supplemental defensive position that you can fall back to if necessary?
The more of these questions that can be answered “Yes” the better the defensive position is and the less likely you will be routed from it if placed under pressure. Each item will now be explained.

1. Is the position on higher ground than a likely enemy axis of advance?’
This is what is called a “no-brainer.” Having a height advantage on an attacking unit has both physical and psychological effects favoring the defender. The game provides a hill terrain modifier to units firing downhill that increases lethality of musketry and thus inflicts heavier casualties. Attacking uphill, especially alone, is generally considered taboo in multiplayer games. If asked (or convinced) to do so, an attacking player is likely to wear this taboo on his virtual sleeve as he carries it out and thus may be slower to react to opportunities for fear of taking gross casualties. A brigade in a defensive position on a hill side will always, psychologically, look larger than it may actually be to the attacker at the base of the hill looking up the slope.

2. Does the position have stone walls, fences, or woods for defensive use?
Walls, fences and woods offer defensive terrain bonuses of varying degrees. I will describe each one in detail.

Walls: These represent stone walls that soldiers can use to kneel and crouch behind to defend from. They offer fantastic protection from Minie balls and artillery fire (though not complete protection). Regiments defending from walls are incredibly tough to dislodge and take very few casualties comparatively. This is, without question, the best piece of defensive terrain in the game. However, they are not always prevalent and highly prized.

Fences: A more common defensive terrain is the fence. Like walls, fences provide protection from rifle and artillery fire, though not nearly as much. They are, however, much more readily available on many of the maps. Fence-to-fence fighting is almost a staple in multiplayer games. Be aware, however, that there are fences that do not provide a terrain bonus. These are typically of the smaller variety such as the white picket fences around Gettysburg town.

Woods: Forests offer some protection from small arms fire and artillery. They also serve as line of sight blocks for artillery and thus can be a good place to put a line of infantry into to both defend key terrain and prevent casualties from artillery. However, be aware that line of sight often works both ways. Woods may block sight of brigade moving forward to engage your line, so be aware and don’t succumb to surprise! Put a regiment in a skirmisher’s formation as a picket in front of your line or an officer as an early warning device for aggressive enemy movements. (More on this below)

To use these terrain features, simply maneuver your regiments to a place where their colors are on the terrain itself. This is especially true for fences and walls. The regimental flag needs to be on the terrain directly, regardless of which way the regiment is facing. What this means is that you could have a regiment in line perpendicular to a fence and still retain the terrain bonus as long as the regimental colors are on the fence directly and the terrain box in the head’s up display reads “Fence.” This applies to walls as well. Gamey as it may be it is out of the control of the player specifically so use it to your advantage.

There is one type of defensive terrain that I did not mention – entrenchments. These are only found on the Culp’s Hill map wrapping around the north and east slopes of Culp’s Hill and work the same way as fences and stone walls.

3. Does the position have clear, long lines of sight?
Being able to see the enemy, especially at a long way off, should be of obvious importance. It is imperative that a defending force be able to develop enemy force intentions before they are realized along your front. Being able to see the enemy telegraph his moves give you the opportunity to shift forces or redeploy if necessary. Also, have long lines of sight are crucial for artillery to blunt attacking infantry before they get in rifle range.

4. Is there a creek between your proposed defense line and the likeliest enemy axis of advance?
Put simply, creeks are deathtraps. It is possible for an enemy force to attack across a creek, but not without the prospect of considerable loss of life. Creek’s slow enemy movement considerably, making them susceptible to longer bouts of rifle fire and easier targets for artillery. They serve as a psychological deterrent when an attacker is faced with one-to-one and even two-to-one odds in his favor. Creeks make can make it easier for a smaller force to defend against a larger one, thus allowing for more forces to be deployed for opportunities elsewhere.

5. Is there room on the position to place artillery out of range of direct rifle fire and while still capable of placing fire on advancing enemy units?
Artillery is a force multiplier in the defense and can often be the deciding factor when defending against a determined attack and when employed correctly cause the most casualties of any formation in the game. Despite their power, however, they are incredibly vulnerable to direct rifle fire and can easily rout if not defended by infantry. The best defense allows for a position well behind the line of defending infantry where artillery can deploy and fire over the heads of friendly troops. Even better, if artillery can be safely placed in a position where they can fire solid shot down the length of an attacking line (enfilade fire), the results can be devastating. Also, if a breakthrough occurs, artillery can be used to break up exploitative assaults with its withering canister shot (if less than 200 yards distant with the GCM mod) while an infantry reserve maneuvers to close the breach. Artillery is your friend. Use it and protect it!

6. Is the position tied with and easily supported by adjacent friendly units?
It takes an army to grow a proper defense. Make sure you are coordinating with the divisions to your left and right. Study how they are deploying their defensive lines and if possible adapt your defense to be mutually supportive. Learn the best approaches to send reinforcements if called upon to do so. Communicate with the division commanders on your flanks and be ready to send support if need be and if you’re capable of doing so. Don’t be stingy when supporting an ally. Your survival may very well depend on his survival. If he folds under the weight of a heavy attack because you refused to send uncommitted troops to support his defense your division will likely be at a much heightened risk of being destroyed in turn.

Do not establish a defensive position that cannot be supported by allies. Period. To quote Marine Corps martial arts training, “An extended limb is a broken limb.” Setting your division off by itself in a static salient invites swift destruction of epic proportions. You will likely be cut off from the main body of your army and destroyed in detail by multiple divisions without any hope of relief. Not only is this bad for you, it is also bad for your allies as they must adapt their strategy to attempt to thwart a force that now significantly outnumbers them.

The optimal mutually supporting defense system is one where different portions of the line can be reinforced faster than the enemy attacker can apply overwhelming pressure to one portion of the line over another. This is known as having “interior lines.” A perfect historical example of this, for those SOW gamers completely oblivious to history, is the Battle of Gettysburg itself. The Army of the Potomac was deployed in such a way where if the CSA attacked at a specific portion of the line, such as Cemetery Ridge on Day Three, it could be reinforced very quickly from other portions of the battlefield much faster than the CSA could exploit any breakthrough. It’s about teamwork and mutually supporting positions!

7. Are your regiments fresh with a fatigue level of “Okay” or better?
This is important, but if your regiments are tired, wary or exhausted, it’s not a show-stopper. Exhausted regiments are still capable of loading and firing their rifles. If you have some of the bonuses in play (such as leader, support, defensive terrain, or hill) an exhausted regiment can hold under rifle fire for a considerable amount of time as long as they have ammunition, haven’t taken over 50 percent casualties, or don’t get routed in melee.

When not fighting and there is little chance of rifle combat occurring in less than a minute, lay your regiments down. This will increase the speed at which they recover from fatigue and also help prevent casualties from enemy artillery fire. If not in immediate danger of attack, you can also place your men in skirmisher’s formation and lay them down for added protection from artillery fire. Having your defensive line well rested will offer a lot more flexibility in quickly reinforcing other parts of the line in trouble or conducting counterattacks. Exhausted men can still do both, but at a much slower pace and thus are more susceptible to casualties and routing.

8. Are you capable of establishing a reserve?
This seems to be a routinely overlooked tactic. However, having a divisional reserve of some kind can make or break a defense. Consider this: If all your regiments are on line and engaged and you have a brand new conscript regiment rout, how do you plug the exploitable hole that is now in your line if every one of your regiments is currently in combat? You could simple sidestep the adjacent regiments left and right, but now you have two regiments temporarily not firing (and taking casualties) because a third broke and ran. Instead, a fresh regiment in reserve, behind the main line just out of rifle range, could have been brought forward to quickly fill the hole. What if, after the conscript regiment broke, the attacker rushed two regiments into the gap to exploit the hole and all your regiments were on line with no reserve? How could you prevent that hole from being widened and further exploited? A reserve regiment could move into rifle range of the two enemy regiments to buy time for a thought-out response.

That’s the key about reserves -- they can be redeemed for time in the defense. They can also be used to exploit localized opportunities such as laying down flanking fire along the attacker’s axis of advance, reinforcing adjacent brigades, protect artillery and exposed flanks and capture new objectives behind your lines all without sacrificing the integrity of your defensive position. Tactical reserves give you incredible flexibility.

For my own personal divisions I allocate at least two regiments out of my ten for a reserve while in the defense. That’s 20 percent of my overall infantry force. Of course I don’t always come in with all ten regiments so I have to tailor my reserve as my force and disposition will allow. There are times when I’m forced to cover a wide swath of ground and can’t maintain a reserve. Generally, however, I try to leave some force available.

9. Does the position offer line of sight protection for friendly infantry from an enemy artillery bombardment when not under direct attack?

This only applies when not in direct contact with enemy infantry regiments or even in danger of being in contact with enemy infantry in less than three minutes. When establishing a defensive position that is in eyeshot of enemy artillery, locate a piece of ground behind the position that is not in view of artillery to place your infantry. Detach one or two regiments in skirmisher formations to take the place of your brigades to serve as a picket line to both protect your artillery and serve as an early warning/delay when enemy infantry advance. This will keep the bulk of your men from being shelled. Take note, however, that your main body of infantry is not so far back that it cannot take its place in the line in a very short amount of time. Also, while they are behind your chosen main line of resistance, be sure to keep them in column formation or column by division formation so they can be quickly brought forward.

10. Do you have a supplemental defensive position that you can fall back to if necessary?
Though it may not be necessary, or even an option, it’s always good to know where you can fall back to if need be. After you’ve established your defensive position, take a look at the ground behind your line and make a mental note as to where might be plausible fall back defensive positions in the event your current one becomes untenable due to direct pressure on your line, or an adjacent ally is thrown off his position thereby exposing your flank. Note where you’d like to put your artillery and where your lines of battle should deploy to. Be sure to note any terrain that might slow down your movement between your current position and your supplementary position. It’s better to be safe than sorry.

The more of these questions you can answer ‘yes’ to, the tougher your defensive position will likely be and the more force the enemy will be required to use to dislodge you. Bear in mind, however, that the needs of your team may dictate many things and you may be forced to deploy on ground less than suitable. This is especially true with regards to objective locations, which often pop up at the worst possible places, such as in the middle of a creek or in between two opposing divisions. The key is to be flexible and make the best use of what you have available to you.

Special Cases
There are a few defensive situations that require a few words. These are Objectives Locations and Extreme Flanks

1. Objective Locations
The easiest way to hold a victory location is to be far, far ahead of it. So far that the enemy, if they don’t have enough objectives of their own for overall victory, must attack a distance further than their force will hopefully allow for in terms of mass, time and momentum (more on this in the Attack section). Often, however, being well ahead of an objective is not an option and a localized “defense-in-depth” tactic can be employed.

What is “defense-in-depth?”
Defense-in-depth is a tactic where defensive lines are staggered one behind the other in order to minimize the effects of an enemy breakthrough. If an attack penetrates one layer of defense, they immediately run right into a second layer, and then a third. Hopefully, the attack will run out of steam before successfully tripping the objective location neutral before the clock expires.

Notice how the Union lines are layered one behind the other with artillery in support in this generalized graphic. If the Confederate attack breaches the first line, there is still a second line available to blunt the attack, as well as a third line in reserve that can be brought up. Also, the artillery can fire canister shot to put holes into the Confederate regiments as they press toward the second line. Also notice how most of the defense is in front of the objective. (Bear in mind that the left and right flanks of the Union division represented in this graphic are not shown. Remember: It takes an army to grow a proper defense. Make sure you are coordinating with the divisions to your left and right!)

2. Extreme Flanks
Just like Brig. Gen. James Barnes’ division at Gettysburg, you may find yourself at the extreme flank of your army and responsible for keeping the enemy at bay in a tenuous position. The above checklist becomes crucially important when establishing a defense on the flank, but three items stand out—
  • Is the position tied with and easily supported by adjacent friendly units?
  • Are you capable of establishing a reserve?
  • Do you have a supplemental defensive position that you can fall back to if necessary?
You must have coordination with the friendly division on your flank and army as a whole. Communication is key. If you hold a key piece of terrain on a flank and get attacked, you need to be able to call on support if needed. They need to know the size and direction of the force facing you well in advance of actually being attacked in order to make a well thought out tactical decision.

You must be very flexible with your regiments. Always be prepared to “refuse” your flank, meaning to align your regiment’s perpendicular to the main line of the army in order to defend from a different direction.

Next (in a few weeks), I'll be looking at going on to the offensive, which is much more complex than the defense. It's likely I may have missed a point or two. Again, this is not to be all-encompassing or the complete gospel. But ... I hope I got most of it! B)
Last edited by WriterJWA on Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I propose to fight it out on this line if it takes all summer."

"If you see the President, tell him from me that whatever happens there will be no turning back."

Lt. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant, 1864
Garnier
Reactions:

Re: The Defense -- A Tactical Checklist

Post by Garnier »

This is good, and I like talking tactics.

Two minor points:

Wooden fences are almost as good as stone walls, the difference is tiny. Like you said they're everywhere on some of the stock maps, so there you should almost always have your forward regiments flags on them.

Canister range is 200yd in GCM, it can't be modded.

One thing I disagree on:

99% of the time, I don't think it's worth keeping fresh regiments in reserve if they could be fighting. Your front regiments will break faster if you cut your own firepower intentionally.

The only time regiments should be off the front line (assuming there is a front line that is fighting), is if they're tired. Then they should be laying down, and sent back in as soon as they're fresh again, to replace something else.

Say each side had four regiments. Side A puts four regiments in, side B puts three in. B will lose more men from the start because he has less firepower. Then when B does bring in his reserve, he'll already be at a disadvantage, and all other things equal, will lose the fight. I think this principle applies to any scale of fight in the game.

In theory, B's fresh regiment could charge one of the tired A regiments, but if A's regiments are tired enough for the fatigue factor to matter, B's other regiments will have taken such a pounding already that even if the charge succeeds in breaking one regiment, the casualties will still favor A, and B's fresh reserve will now be as tired as the rest. Particularly if the fresh one had to run any distance to get close enough to charge.

Other than that, I think all your points are valid and important.
Last edited by Garnier on Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Also try the singleplayer carryover campaign
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

WriterJWA wrote:
It's not my intention to appear conceited with this, but rather place what I've learned in the hands of others
I for one say "Right On!" There's not enough discussion of tactics on this board.

Thanks,

B
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
SouthernSteel
Reactions:

Post by SouthernSteel »

It behooves anyone who wishes to learn to come play MP. We'll learn you up right proper. Consider it a school. :evil:

I have often wondered about the use of a reserve. I am impressed by players who can manage to implement this successfully, but it goes against my whole approach to the game (which has its own assumptions). In the end, in a shooting fight, I follow more of what Garnier is saying. It extends your line and increases your firepower, both of which are essential to wearing down an opponent.

I will say, however, that it has become increasingly evident that often a reserve is needed, given the frequency with which, now, masses of troops are sent in headlong in assault column. Then a single line can be, at the very least, tied up and likely also overwhelmed, even by inferior troops. In such a situation, a player risks having their entire division destroyed when someone comes rolling up on them like a steamroller.

I personally find this tactic, in part, to be highly ahistorical. By Gettysburg and especially later in the war, no one made charges like this and the old salty veterans often outright refused such orders. Once some of the remaining gameplay "bugs" can be resolved, however, I feel this will change. In particular here I am talking about increased casualties as an enemy draws close, especially if in column (assault or by 4s). It should be a massacre under 20 yards.

Anyway, I think for MP especially, very special attention ought to be paid, after establishing one's own position, that they connect with their adjacent friendly divisions. I have seen many a terrifying hole appear in the lines for no other reason than tunnel vision, as it were. Talk to and coordinate with your teammates because a porous line is essentially no line at all and will be readily exploited.

I will always take great pride in being compared to Longstreet (on these very forums!). That style does not always yield the sort of results that some may desire, but I feel like it offers me the best chance in any situation to succeed and keep my division in tact. (I also happen to think that the closer we get to realism, the more this style will be shown to be the strongest, especially on the defensive).
"The time for compromises is past, and we are now determined to maintain our position and make all who oppose us smell Southern powder, feel Southern steel."
Jefferson Davis, 1861
KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Post by KG_Soldier »

Or you can always go with the most common defense: stack all your units on fences or walls with all your guns 25 yards behind them and let the guns blast the enemy through your lines with their magic only hit the enemy rounds.

Okay. . . I'm a little bitter. Night before last I took 3 canister rounds to a regiment while it was in melee and the guns were right behind an enemy regiment, like 10 yards behind it.

Otherwise. . . Well done Writer.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Okay. . . I'm a little bitter. Night before last I took 3 canister rounds to a regiment while it was in melee and the guns were right behind an enemy regiment, like 10 yards behind it.
Consider this added to the list of things to be improved for the next release... Not saying it will be, but I'm adding it.

Edit - Nevermind, it's already there. :)
Last edited by Little Powell on Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SouthernSteel
Reactions:

Post by SouthernSteel »

I was going to put something in to that effect soldier but it was a bit too far off my train of thought. Stacking still needs to be addressed too (although it may have improved, I haven't played enough lately to get a consistent observation).
"The time for compromises is past, and we are now determined to maintain our position and make all who oppose us smell Southern powder, feel Southern steel."
Jefferson Davis, 1861
WriterJWA
Reactions:

Post by WriterJWA »

Regarding massed attacks...

It might be worth researching Col. Emery Upton at the Mule Shoe Salient of the Spotsylvania Courthouse action in 1864:

"Facing the firmly entrenched Army of Northern Virginia, Upton petitioned his superiors to lead a brigade against the enemy’s fortifications. The young colonel believed that swiftly advancing in a narrow, compact formation without halting to fire would greatly enhance the assault’s probability of success. Though this approach was contrary to the tactics then in use, his superiors trusted his judgment. On May 10, 1864, Upton led a small force against the “Mule Shoe” salient (now the “Bloody Angle”) at Spotsylvania Court House. Though Upton’s charge lacked sufficient support to be decisive, the initial success of his new tactic would inspire General Winfield S. Hancock to implement it in an assault two days later. Similar tactics would later be used against trenches in the First World War."

Source:
http://www.civilwar.org/education/histo ... upton.html

"Upton devised a tactic wherein columns of massed infantry would swiftly assault a small part of the enemy line, without pausing to trade fire, and in doing so attempt to overwhelm the defenders and achieve a breakthrough. The standard infantry assault employed a wide battle line advancing more slowly, firing at the enemy as it moved forward. On May 10, 1864, Upton led twelve regiments in such an assault against the Confederate's Mule Shoe salient. His tactics worked and his command penetrated to the center of the Mule Shoe, but they were left unsupported and forced to withdraw in the face of enemy artillery and mounting reinforcements."

Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emory_Upton

I'll likely bring this up in detail when I dive into the attacks as a topic.
"I propose to fight it out on this line if it takes all summer."

"If you see the President, tell him from me that whatever happens there will be no turning back."

Lt. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant, 1864
KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Post by KG_Soldier »

My goal has always been to have all of my regiments firing. However, like Parker, I've lately considered changing this policy, especially on the random East Cavalry Field map. With so many trees, often a whole division (usually Kester's) will come out of the trees in attack columns and steamroll a tired division. Happened to me a week or so ago. I engaged Willard and had him falling back. Instead of letting him retreat and consolidating my defense of two objectives, I pursued with all my tiring regiments hoping to run him off the map. My boys were giving it to him good when all of a sudden Kester's division appeared from the heavy woods in force and fresh as the morning dew in full assault columns (love the new line of sight fix). My only choice was to immediately retreat. If I had left a brigade on the objective to rest up, I might have been able to resist the onslaught. But as it was, my proud division tucked tail and ran. I literally almost jumped out of my chair when Kester's boys came a whooping and a hollering out of the woods.

So now I'm reconsidering my strategy, especially on the heavily wooded ECF random maps.
Last edited by KG_Soldier on Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo
Garnier
Reactions:

Post by Garnier »

I don't recommend keeping them all shooting when they're all tired, I usually have a few regiments laying down resting close to the lines the whole time. When they're fresh again, I rotate. I just never keep fresh units out of the fight. If you keep all your men fighting without any rests they'll all be exhausted and you won't be able to do much after a while.

You want to rest them before they reach "tired" -- the reason is math, not superstition. When they're tired (or exhausted -- worse) they rest slower. This means if you have all your men shooting for 30 min, then rest from exhausted back to fresh, it will take longer to get the same shooting done than if you rotate units out before they reach tired.

Sometimes it can't be avoided, or there's no time to rest as the enemy is pressing hard. In these cases I might keep everyone on the line, assuming I'm not losing the fight and should retreat anyway. The moment the enemy gets out of musket range though, I have everyone lie down.

I wonder if it would be more interesting to have resting go faster, but have the men take significantly longer to stand up when they're laying down. The math there would be less realistic perhaps, but it might lead to more realistic and fun behavior -- if you let your men fall out to rest near the front line the enemy might take them off guard, aka shoot them while they are slowly getting up.
Last edited by Garnier on Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Also try the singleplayer carryover campaign