Site was hacked

General Question/Answer/Announcement about NSD. We are a small independent game development team and we value our community. If you ask, we'll answer.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Re: Site was hacked

Post by Michael Slaunwhite »

think I finally got the site registration working, had to uninstall and then install a protection module I was using.
Have you noticed that the past several new users are using a five or six letter\ number code, and not a name.

davinci
Hi Davinci.

I have noticed that as well. There is a module for Joomla that will check out all new registrations against a hacker type database (offsite,emails, and the such), and it does slow them down, if not ALMOST gets rid of them.

Later.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Hi.

Just for your information (those who care about these things) there are forums out there that allow members to request a hit, or an attack on a site, server etc.

Anyway, if you wish to see if any requests have been issued concerning your site, you can start looking there. Every once in awhile I'll take a look to see if my website has been mentioned.

I will not give you the address's of these sites, but I can tell you to search Google for "Hacker Request Forums" or "Hacker Requests".

I am looking now to see if NSD has been put up as a request or not. If I find anything I'll let you know.

Also, if you wish to rummage through these dark allies, I suggest that you use Sandboxie to safe guard your computer.

Later.
Last edited by Michael Slaunwhite on Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

Davinci wrote:
Have you noticed that the past several new users are using a five or six letter\ number code, and not a name.
Those are most likely accounts that will be used for spamming. That was the reason for the DOS and hack. Keep an eye out for spam in the next couple of weeks. I'm sure we'll be seeing some.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Hi.

I just finished up reading more on Tigermate, and it appears your site was not picked out of thousands to hit, or even requested to be hit. This turd does this on mass. He has claimed that he has disrupted close to 700,000 thousand in one shot, and I didn't have the time to look over a list to see if your name was listed . It is safe to say that you were not targeted specifically, you just happen to be part of a group he happened to be picking through...

Anyway, later!
redcoat
Reactions:

Post by redcoat »

lucky for these insects that they can hide behind the internets skirts.
were they physically within reach of consequenses they might not be so keen. cheers