Another excellent game - small battles in HITS are brilliant

con20or
Reactions:

Another excellent game - small battles in HITS are brilliant

Post by con20or »

Small battles in HITS can be great fun.

I was playing Pipe Creek 1 (or was it 2?) - Sandbox, attack, division V division, I was a brigade commander under AI control.

I received my orders, went off to attack the location. Galloping ahead, scouting out the best route - I came within 500 yards of the OBJ. Just as my men came over the ridge we ran smack bang into the enemy - all three brigades plus artillery.

I formed my men up in line with reserves (reserves were committed in about 2 minutes to stop myself being flanked) and fired off a courier message to AI general telling him where we had been attacked and by the whole division - although I wasn't sure if my AI commander would take any notice.

I was lucky (very) in where I had met them, because i had gotten over the ridge first, they were still on the downside so i had height advantage, and the way the terrain was the narrow ridge curved around exactly where i was positioned so I would always have it unless they got up close and forced me off it.. There were trees to my left, directly in line with the union artillery so they couldnt hit me very well and only one or two of their cannons unlimbered.

I was holding my own firing off occasional 'help!" messages but was sure none was coming until all of a sudden I see AI pickett come galloping down the road, and stops right beside me. At least now I knew that my message had gotten through. One of my regiments had been badly handled and I had let a big union regiment close and charge them so they retreated. I left picket beside my line and galloped off to try and rally those troops - which I did susprisingly quickly.

About 10 minutes later I was still doing ok, but the union were coming on in more and more force and started to go around me. They came in waves but would then retreat, so i was lucky. The first regiment of mine that broke broke a few more times but thankfully kept coming back.

Thats when i looked behind me and saw that most beautiful of sights - reinforcements. It was only artillery at first, but i could see it making its way up the ridge. The artillery formed up on my right and started shelling distant union troops. Then the infantry flags appeared over the far ridge and started making their way towards the battle. I could see couriers going from Pickett to them and once they joined the line the battle was won. My brigade had held up three brigades and had inflicted double casualties - all were almost full morale and relatively fresh by the end of that fight.

Then pickett started ordering us to different locations (he first gave me a defend order - first time I had seen that in an attacking mission - maybe because we had been engaged for so long?)

I love HITS - you never know what youre going to meet until you run into it - i just wish the friendly AI would inform you what they have seen - could be useful!

Morale of the story - don't neglect playing as the brigade / division commanders!
Last edited by con20or on Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Re: Another excellent game - small battles in HITS are brilliant

Post by Little Powell »

Nice AAR, thanks for posting.

I played a HITS battle a couple weeks ago testing something out. I wish I would have posted screenshots.. It was intense.

I was playing division size Sandbox. I spotted the Yankee column on a road several hundred yards to the South of my position. I started moving my division down the road to attack. I encountered maybe 2 brigades in strength of the enemy and easily routed them.. I was thinking maybe since I didn't have balance forced checked, I was facing a small division.. Boy was I wrong. Just was I was wrapping things up, three more Yankee brigades attacked me from my Right/Rear. No idea how they got around me.. Surprised the heck out of me.. I laughed and cried at the same time. :laugh:

HITS is about as close as it gets to real civil war combat. It's intense, and really makes you appreciate the terrain and how big of a role it played in battle.
william1993
Reactions:

Post by william1993 »

How do you get this HITS stuff
God darn. Holy testicles. All them people.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

How do you get this HITS stuff
Options, Custom Difficulty, Max Camera Distance, 10.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

i like to set the camera to 20, 10 can be a bit disorientating - sometimes you cant find your own generals sprite when he gets under your viewpoint.

Historical difficulty also has works.

Give it a try, you'll love it!