HITS Improvements

con20or
Reactions:

Re: HITS Improvements

Post by con20or »

checked there - it works, but limited to 300yds.

one of the mods i use - either couriers & maps , or bugles & flags has provided a better list,lots of distances.

you made couriers & maps didnt you? if u didnt add that it must be B&F..
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

Yes, that was mine. In that case, the multiple distances would be a nice addition to the stock csv.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

oh - ok i'l add it to the list then.
Blaugrana
Reactions:

Post by Blaugrana »

A couple of things:

Faster horses for couriers - try sending off a cavalry unit at the gallop and then sending an amended order. The couriers can't catch 'em. Unless this is deliberate - presumably it was difficult to find a fast-moving cav unit without the benefit of GPS tracking...

Ability to switch off Tree-toggling. It would be great to be able to switch this off before a game, so one doesn't have to resist the temptation to 'have a quick peek'. Even more important in MP ...

The latter may be do-able now. If anyone knows that it is (fiddling in the ini file?), please shout.

Thanks,
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Both good ideas blaugrana - I had been mulling over the idea of making a hardcore realism mod for courier play and removing the option to switch off trees was one of the features.

It should be easy enough, just remove the 't' command from your keyboard .csv, but that will remove the option to get rid of crops/fences/dead bodies tc. Removing these is not realistic either, but sometimes my PC just needs it! LP also pointed out that by making a new csv file for keyboard commands will overwrite everyones custom setups, which chould be messy.

The courier speed could be immediately doable as well, it just depends if its classed seperately from officers in the .csv that handles movement speeds and i cant check it here. If it isnt, increasing one will just increase the other, and you'll have a 'benny hill' situation with courier chasing officers at high speed and getting nowhere...
Blaugrana
Reactions:

Post by Blaugrana »

Thanks Con20or,

I like the idea of a hardcore HITS with couriers mod. If you make it, I'll download it B)
If it could include the GCM toolbar I'd be very happy ...

Won't fiddle with csv files for the moment - will let those ideas percolate. I'm AFK for a few days now anyway.
Martin James
Reactions:

Post by Martin James »

Hi con20or

A couple of suggestions I ran past you offline in January, and have since shared with our kriegsspiel group:

1. At the moment players have access to a mini-map of the battlefield, which shows whether any of the objectives are possessed by either side. In reality you would only have known if the enemy held a location if someone rode over and saw them. I'm suggesting that this information is removed from the map at 'Historical' and/or 'Custom' difficulty.

2. Players currently have a constant read-out of friendly & opposing casualties. Again in actual battles casualty information would have needed to come up the chain of command from brigadiers, even if they had it. In the absence of computers, and in the heat of battle this was just not possible in 1863. Here the suggestion is to eliminate any casualty information for say division commanders & above at 'Historical' and/or 'Custom' difficulty. Nothing to stop senior officers riding over to a brigade commander and checking his OOB of course, but you're not going to be able to do that consistently for every brigade in a corps or army. Indeed I may be being too generous, and perhaps casualties should only be available at regiment level?

Martin
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

I have two fixes that I would like to see implimented into the game.

1) Fix the courier heading - the time shouldn't be displayed three times in a single message, I doubt tht this is accurate.

2) Have the courier spawn from the sending Officer, and not from the Commanding Officer whom may be located several miles away.

EDIT Post - this is mainly for the Open Play and not really for the HITS!

davinci
Last edited by Davinci on Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Adding Content
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Hi con20or

A couple of suggestions I ran past you offline in January, and have since shared with our kriegsspiel group:

1. At the moment players have access to a mini-map of the battlefield, which shows whether any of the objectives are possessed by either side. In reality you would only have known if the enemy held a location if someone rode over and saw them. I'm suggesting that this information is removed from the map at 'Historical' and/or 'Custom' difficulty.

2. Players currently have a constant read-out of friendly & opposing casualties. Again in actual battles casualty information would have needed to come up the chain of command from brigadiers, even if they had it. In the absence of computers, and in the heat of battle this was just not possible in 1863. Here the suggestion is to eliminate any casualty information for say division commanders & above at 'Historical' and/or 'Custom' difficulty. Nothing to stop senior officers riding over to a brigade commander and checking his OOB of course, but you're not going to be able to do that consistently for every brigade in a corps or army. Indeed I may be being too generous, and perhaps casualties should only be available at regiment level?

Martin
Two more good ideas MArtin, and both things I had considered including in the hardcore realism mod.

- Removing ALL icons from the map, even the eye - so you would have to locate and orientate yourself by scanning the terrain. Obviously some OBJ marker would still be needed, and the assigned quadrant square. Maybe a few other icons, will need to think this one through.

- All casualty info/unit strength would be removed and a new toolbar made - but the OOB would still give you this info, so i was unsure how to go ahead with it. I would probably leave fatigue and morale bars, not 100% realistic, but in real life you would see if troops were exhausted, or scared, but you cant in game, except for just before they break.
Last edited by con20or on Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

I have two fixes that I would like to see implimented into the game.

1) Fix the courier heading - the time shouldn't be displayed three times in a single message, I doubt tht this is accurate.

2) Have the courier spawn from the sending Officer, and not from the Commanding Officer whom may be located several miles away.

EDIT Post - this is mainly for the Open Play and not really for the HITS!

davinci
What do you mena by openplay davinci? Sandbox or MP?

1) Does it show three times? that sounds odd.

2) Can you explain this to me one last time - I can't find the original post we discussed this in. Dont go into too much detail, i remember most of it.