Welcome New Map Team

Threads discussing NSD news items from the front page.
2nd Texas Infantry
Reactions:

Re: Welcome New Map Team

Post by 2nd Texas Infantry »

I made Wilson's Creek for the old game, and I am a fan of the Trans Mississippi. I am finishing up my fictional map, and my next project is Pleasant Hill La, April 9th, 1864. Elkhorn is also on my list (Only Yankees call it Pea Ridge), along with Perryville and others from the western theater and Trans - Mississippi. Check out the Modifications forum for pics of my new map I am working on. Trust me you will enjoy them.
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

NYCav,

The Chicamauga map for TC2M was outstanding. Total confusion in the fighting in the trees.

Jack B)
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
Martin James
Reactions:

Post by Martin James »

I made Wilson's Creek for the old game, and I am a fan of the Trans Mississippi. I am finishing up my fictional map, and my next project is Pleasant Hill La, April 9th, 1864. Elkhorn is also on my list (Only Yankees call it Pea Ridge), along with Perryville and others from the western theater and Trans - Mississippi. Check out the Modifications forum for pics of my new map I am working on. Trust me you will enjoy them.
Sounds great. I'm in the UK (so neither a Yankee nor a Reb) and am quite happy to call the battle anything you dang well want pardner, if you keep producing the maps :) Thanks for the response.

Martin
Tacloban
Reactions:

Post by Tacloban »

This is a happy day. I can finally feel my grip loosening on TC2M, except for one last look at 2nd Tex's Antietam map, and the command simulation, which can now be done on SOW. Thanks norb and to the map team.

I don't care what maps you choose. I'll enjoy any of them.
Willard
Reactions:

Post by Willard »

First: there is no easy way to bring those maps over to SOW.

Second: Why would you want to use the old when we can have new ones, and soon.

I know you guys are wanting more maps, and that is why this team was brought over here. All of us know that you guys want maps and we will deliver the goods. The idea of bringing the old ones over is a terrible idea, not that they were not good (I made 15 or so really good ones that look fantastic), we all should want to move forward with bigger and better maps, and not backwards. When I get bored on my current computer I dont go digging around the attic for my Commadore 64. Be Patient, great things on the horizon.
Not to sound like a d&^k, but the point I was trying to make was that CWBR and TC2M are extremely unlikely to be the subject of an expansion pack for SOW. Hence that was the reason I suggested those maps would be good to release - especially the TC2M maps as they could be considered part of the Antietam campaign.

I wasn't suggesting a direct port of the maps - I was suggesting that since the majority of the research on that subject matter has already been completed that these maps would be far easier to create than something from scratch.
gunship24
Reactions:

Post by gunship24 »

Hopefully SoW and its mod system will allow extra maps without the need to manually add stuff to files like in TC2M, that wasnt very user friendly. So who do i have to bribe to get some napoleonic ones? B)
Mazikainen
Reactions:

Post by Mazikainen »

I like the colourful old maps over the new muddy, dark green, dark brown palette which we are served on SOW. Especially the ground looks ugly and pixelated when viewed on close compared to TC2M.
1st Texas Sharpshooters
Reactions:

Post by 1st Texas Sharpshooters »

Sounds GREAT! I too would love to play the valley campaign, but any new map would make me happy :)
The bigger, the better...
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

I like the colourful old maps over the new muddy, dark green, dark brown palette which we are served on SOW. Especially the ground looks ugly and pixelated when viewed on close compared to TC2M.
Nothing against TC2M, but the old maps are more than a generation behind in technology. They were definitely colorful, and if that's your thing that's cool, although I have to disagree with you. With the new maps, some of the screenshots are hard to distinguish from real photographs.

But hey, if you like the cartoony look, to each his own my friend. :)
Mazikainen
Reactions:

Post by Mazikainen »

I wouldn't say the current SOW maps are that realistic looking. The stuff brewing in the mods section is a different thing however. I'm eagerly waiting to play on those.

I think my taste in the terrain palette comes from tabletop wargaming where it's good to be able to distinguish between terrain types easily. Here's some battle of bull run pictures from the game I hosted last summer:http://mazikainen.blogspot.com/2011/07/battle-of-bull-run-1861-2011.html
Last edited by Mazikainen on Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.