New OOB for Napoleonic Wars

Jack ONeill
Reactions:

New OOB for Napoleonic Wars

Post by Jack ONeill »

The attachment OOB_SB_NAP_Teugen-Hausen_H.csv is no longer available
All,

Are you ready for a really decent sized Battle? Say, 50,000 men on a side? Yes, I know the Echmuhl OOB is close but here's another.

I used the Teugen-Hausen OOB as a start. Here is what is new -

For the French - Oudinots 2nd. Corps -

2 Infantry Divisions 32 Battalions
1 Cavalry Division - 9 squadrons
Reserve Artillery - 2 8 pdr batteries

For the Austrians -Bellegardes 1st. Korps -

2 Infantry Divisions - 24 Battalions, 22 guns
1 Advanced Guard (Mixed troops) Division - 6 Battalions, 16 Squadrons, 14 guns

Notes - I left out the Austrian 1st. Korps Reserve Guns as the Austrians have a ton of them anyway.

I included 1 Division of Bavarians, (Deroi's), because they look cool AND they played a very integral part in the French Army at the point in time.

I also have edited Davout's 3rd. Corps Divisions - St. Hilaire's and Friant's were a little too unweildy for me and Gudin needed a real Division, not just a small Brigade.

Anyway, great fun using line of site - if you use the big Gettysburg map they will all line up side by side, each side that is. If you use the smaller maps, you will get 2 corps in line and one whole one in reserve.

Oudinot's and Bellgarde's numbers are fairly accurate - used both "Crisis on the Danube" and "Armies on the Danube 1809" for references. For Oudinot's Corps I weaseled a bit and divided the number of infantry by the number of Battalions to get an average size.

Enjoy!

Jack B)
Attachments

[The extension csv has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
Nowy
Reactions:

Re: New OOB for Napoleonic Wars

Post by Nowy »

No thanks, this oob looks too fantasy.

These French and Austrian forces did not took part in Battle of Teugen-Hausen 19th April 1809.
Oudinot French Corps was more than 100 km from Teugen-Hausen, Bellegarde I Corps also was faraway.
Austrians I Corps still was on left bank of Danube river. Bavarians under Lefebvre were not present in this ballte too.

Check these please:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Teugen-Hausen
http://www.dean.usma.edu/departments/hi ... /Nap40.gif
http://www.dean.usma.edu/departments/hi ... /Nap41.gif
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

Well done Jack! I'll give this a try today. Although I'll need to remove a few troops. Although I have a fairly hefty computer, the max number of troops I can use is 85-90,000. Above that, large battles grid to a halt. However, we can always up the ratio to 5 or 6 to 1. I think I'll give that a try first. Thanks again for your hard work.
Notes - I left out the Austrian 1st. Korps Reserve Guns as the Austrians have a ton of them anyway.
When Gunship gets around to making some Russians, then we'll have guns! I do so love those mega-batteries of 20 pounders.

Nowy wrote:
No thanks, this oob looks too fantasy. These French and Austrian forces did not took part in Battle of Teugen-Hausen 19th April 1809.
An interesting criticism given that we are playing this on a Pennsylvania battlefield. Do you ever have anything positive to contribute? Or are you just an inveterate troll?
Last edited by Marching Thru Georgia on Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Post by Michael Slaunwhite »

Nice work there Jack (as always). I'm with MTG, large battles seem to bring my old boy here to a halt.

I'm enjoying the OOB, many thanks!
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

All,

Thank you Gentlemen. I shall tweek this a bit in the near future, to clean up some of the numbers. And, as usual, Nowy misses the point completely - N, this is a game OOB. At no point did I say this was who was where or when at Teugan-Hausen. Note, that I said "I used Teugan-Hausen as a start..."

Guys,

Yes, I thought of changing the sprite ratio also. I deliberately stopped at this number of troops as it was making even my rig slow down. I am currently working on a game OOB based on the Echmuhl OOB. Nowy, look - I said it was BASED on the Echmuhl OOB, not a complete listing of who was there.

Enjoy!

Jack B)

"Molon Labe"
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

Guys,

Also, the new corps make for some different Corps vs. Korps Battles.

Jack B)

"Molon Labe"
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

All,

Thanks for the idea!!! If someone can generate some French infantry in White uniforms, I can knock out the OOBs for the French Army on Italy and the Austrian one too. The Italian troops wore white and the French wore the normal blue. The Austrians we have. Otherwise they were identical. Decent troops too. We might need some French dragoons though. Hmmm...

Army szes would be around 30-35,000 each. That would work. Think about it.

Jack B)

"Molon Labe"
Nowy
Reactions:

Post by Nowy »

Nowy wrote:
No thanks, this oob looks too fantasy. These French and Austrian forces did not took part in Battle of Teugen-Hausen 19th April 1809.
An interesting criticism given that we are playing this on a Pennsylvania battlefield. Do you ever have anything positive to contribute? Or are you just an inveterate troll?
You were not friendly when you asked such rave questions. If you can read my posts on this forum you can find something positive. I always appreciate historical accuracy and would like to see good things in this fine mod which is called Napoleonic Wars.

I dislike something what is not good or what looks too fantasy.
Therefore I openly put may remarks in this matter.

Gunship did fine work and his mod was interesting. It even looks that he included few things in compliance with few my remarks e.g. he add famous hussars, three ranks in line formation and few other small details.

Maybe these also were my positive contribution.

PS

Hope that next time somebody will not include green Martians in oob which will base on Battle of Eggmuhl.
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

N,

These OOBs are historically accurate, to the unit. The fact they did not participate in the battle named in irrelevant. Oudinot's Corps only flaw is I based the Battalion strength on an average, not a rank-and-file roster.

Bellrgarde's Korps WAS in the Austrian Army. Aside from Cavalry swap-outs, the units are accurate. Again, Battalion numbers are based on averages.

As far as your wildly inaccurate presentation of the Hussars and rank formations, if you read back a bit in the posts you would see Gunship and I discussed the rank situation way before you were involved. As for the Hussars, they were added because they tested well in the Mod development. They were added because they didn't significantly degrade the running of the game. Had they been a problem, they would not exist - period.

If you are not interested, butt out. As you can tell here, zero people are interested in your commnents, regardless of their accuracy, or lack thereof. As MTG so eloquently put it, "we are playing this on a Pennsylvania Battlefield." Think about it.

Jack B)

"Molon Labe"
gunship24
Reactions:

Post by gunship24 »

Good job Jack.

For those interested in sprites I am planning an addon sprite pack of more Bavarians, Wurttembergers and officer sprites for the French and Austria to add to the Eckumuhl OOB. There shall also be a new OOB and a new army Italy for the Battle of Raab. As well as more goodies for the next version.