Cavalry and Infantry

Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Cavalry and Infantry

Post by Jack ONeill »

Gentlemen,

I'm sure by now you've all seen the following situation - Cavalry standing just out of charge range while an Infantry unit blazes away at them at under 120 yards. Can something be done about this? No horsemen in their right minds would just sit there and get shot without charging OR moving off. Your thoughts on this please.

I say one of two things - either extend the Cavalry auto-charge reach to, say, 150 yards, shorten the Infantry musket range to 100 yards (or maybe 99), or a little of both.

My real thoughts on this are - If the Cav can charge from farther out, the Infantry must decide one of two things - quickly form square or stand and fire, hoping to drive them off or damage them enough to win in melee.

Gentlemen, your ideas.

Jack B)
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
gunship24
Reactions:

Re: Cavalry and Infantry

Post by gunship24 »

This is on my list of things to sort out. Auto charge range is hard coded so that cant be changed. Experimenting with the cavalry brigade leader attributes might make them more responsive, as I think in all the OOBs I did they were the same for all commanders. Reducing the musket range is the obvious fix, the only issue would be the units coming closer together, and the more closer they get the more they might charge at each other. Finding a way for the cavalry to be more responsive when taking fire, if possible, would be the best course.

As a side point I dont recall having this issue in the stock game with cavalry, but then again they would dismount and fire thier equally ranged muskets. In the mod they do have a 'dummy' musket with max range 99yards. I was hoping that this would force them to close the distance and by doing so enter the auto charge range. Doesnt seem to work though.
Last edited by gunship24 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alessillo
Reactions:

Post by alessillo »

Jack,
in my Zulu mod there is the same problem, sometime Zulu units are at 104 yards from the enemy and are wiped out without reaction. I think that the solution is in Norb's hands, if in the game there will be units without firearms as principal armament, then we will see true cavalry charges. Two years ago I made these requests to Norb http://norbsoftdev.net/index.php/forum/ ... ut-modding, so I think that we have to wait and enjoy the great work of gunship24.
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

Al,

Agreed. I know we can shorten the musket range. I can do that and know where it is in the files. What I need to know is IF we can increase the charge range of the Cav. That I don't know, or even where to start. I've probably seen it but didn't realizr what I was looking at, since I wasen't looking for that at the time.

Gunship, I apologize for possibly overstepping my bounds here. This is YOUR Mod and you should have the deciding voice on what we change around here. Please weigh in on all this.
Thanks.

Jack B)

"Molon Labe"
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

Oh...Duh...you did already. Teach me not to check all the posts before I run on at the mouth. :whistle:

Jack B)

"Molon Labe"
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

ALL!

Found something in the "Rifles" file. There is a French and a German musket designated as a "sk" weapon - obviously for skirmishers. Max range - 130 yards. If anyone wants to use this, with Gunships permission, I will re-write some of the OOBs with this weapon in the hands of some the Light/Legere/Voltiguer Battalions. I believe this extended range will offset the heavy casualties the skirmishers take now when facing formed troops. I've also dropped the standard musket range to 99 yards to get the Cav to charge. Will test this later today and see what happens.

Jack B)

"Molon Labe"
Leatherneck24
Reactions:

Post by Leatherneck24 »

130 sounds very nice! B) Skirmisher screens would really come in handy when you want to keep a larger body tied down on a sector that you do not have a lot of friendly forces. Most times I do not use the skirmishers in an advance, but use them to cover my flanks from a surprise or to chase down routing battalions.

Jack I got found very large cavalry battles in the early 1809 campaign that include 64 squadrons on one side alone!!! The austrians had about 35 I believe. Now we just need those heavy cavalry and we would be in business. I shall post the OOB sometime just to be used for later. ;)

LN
Last edited by Leatherneck24 on Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pas de charge! In the name of God, En Avant!-En avant, vive L'Empereur!
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

All,

Just ran a quick check thru the OOBs. Turns out the French and Austrian Skirmisher Battalions already have the "sk" musket with the longer ranger range. That would be the Voltiguer and Jager Battalions only, NOT the Legere Battalions. The Bavarian Light Troops do not.

So, I will do a quick edit to the Arnhofen OOB and see how the Bavarian light battalions do with it. Should be ready later tonite.

Jack B)

"Molon Labe"
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

The attachment OOB_SB_NAP_Arnhofen_2011-11-30.csv is no longer available
All,

Yes, it was a quick edit for Arnhofen. The Bav Lights can now carry the French skirmisher musket with the 130 yard range. Posting it now. If we want it for all the others, we will have to edit ALL the OOBs. It is easy, but it will take some time. I await your words of wisdom.

Jack B)
Attachments

[The extension csv has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

"Molon Labe"
Leatherneck24
Reactions:

Post by Leatherneck24 »

I would say the Bavarians and any german force should have the 130 range because a certain percentage carried the rifle. The French volts and french light infantry probably should as well as they were well know for their skirmishing. Even grenzers because this was their role to push off other skirmishing troops. So probably for game play I would think all light troops who can skirmish should have this ability.

However, gunship has the final say and should be tested by him to see what he thinks.
Pas de charge! In the name of God, En Avant!-En avant, vive L'Empereur!