Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Re: Cavalry and Infantry

Post by Jack ONeill »

LN,

Bavarian light troops - yes
Voltiguers - yes
Jagers - Yes
Legere - not really. By this mid-period of the Wars, French Legere battalions were considered more like their Ligne brothers rather than true Light Infantry, and rarely deployed their battalions as a whole as skirmishers.
Grenzers - Same thing. Though starting out as Borger Guard/Light troops, by 1809 they too had become more or less line troops. Also, the Austrian High Command, with their constant worries about desertion,tended to keep non-German/Hungarian regiments together, rather than give them the option to bug-out during a skirmish line action. (Frederick the Great thought so too.)

I agree, we'll need Gunships call on this.

Did you try out the updated OOB?

Jack B)
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
Leatherneck24
Reactions:

Post by Leatherneck24 »

Yup it is pretty awesome. My Bavarian light battalion performed(wow not even close on my spelling after a long battle :( ) wonders on the East cavalry field tonight! I set both of the split up battalion in skirmish order to protect my two battalions deploying behind them. Support by my light bavarian arty which caused 350 casualites to no loss and backed up by Zandt brigade of horse I was able to stop a whole brigade! The trick with the 130 yard range is when they come right in range start hitting withdrawl button so they keep firing but still stay in contact with the enemy.

I am not sure I agree with you about legere. Look at Teugen Hausen and as most of the good battles were fought by the 3rd Corps which was a veteran unit with the best division probably in the army under St. Hilaire I would say legere should skirmish. However, that is up to you, but from a game stand point and being fair I think all light infantry will need to skirmish. Maybe we could have some of the lesser skirmishers at the normal range and the dedicated light troops at the 130yards.

LN
Last edited by Leatherneck24 on Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pas de charge! In the name of God, En Avant!-En avant, vive L'Empereur!
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

LN,

I think Legere infantry can/should skirmish in the game. They have the symbol for it on the toolbar, as opposed to the Ligne units who don't. They should keep their regular muskets, though.

My comment was based on a number of passages I have read, all generally agreeing as the Wars went on, quality in most ligne and legere units fell off, (replacements, casualties, desertion, etc.), leaving only the light companies well trained enough to really do it right. Also, except for the 3rd. French Corps, the others were either allied or cobbed together sort-of, like Oudinot's 2nd Corps. I've really got to write that article about his Corps, soon.

Jack B)

"Molon Labe"
Leatherneck24
Reactions:

Post by Leatherneck24 »

Don't forget a lot of the good men who could of become NCOs or even officers for the line troops went to the many different formations of the guard.
Pas de charge! In the name of God, En Avant!-En avant, vive L'Empereur!
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

LN,

Yes, very true. Always thought that was a mistake.

Jack B)

"Molon Labe"
gunship24
Reactions:

Post by gunship24 »

I just played a game using the 1.4beta patch using the Eggmuhl OOB and cavalry seemed more likely to retire 100 yards or so instead of staying there taking it. Anyone else seen a change or did I just get lucky?
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

Gun,

Yes, happened to me last night, only it was Artillery fire. One of my French Squadrons fell back for seemingly no reason. Thought it was a little weird at the time, but all hell was breaking loose and I was needed elsewhere. Will keep an eye out for it.

Jack B)

"Molon Labe"
gunship24
Reactions:

Post by gunship24 »

I have noticed since the patch, although it might of been there before, that cavalry wont, or are very reluctant, to auto charge if you Take Command of them. I tested this by running several squadrons at infantry. Some were TCed and some weren't and the TCed ones didnt auto charge.
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

Gun,

Thanks. I'll run some tests and verify this. Thanks.

Jack B)

"Molon Labe"