Possible new forum alternative

Got problems with the site. An idea on how to make it better. This is the place to discuss it.
ironsight
Reactions:

Re:Possible new forum alternative

Post by ironsight »

Hancock,
i'm not doubting what you said but still i find it hard to believe this site loads faster that the MMG site even with your wireless!
With my dialup which is lightyears slower than your wireless link, the MMG forum loads relatively instantly for me compared to this forum.

Having said that, i'm still not ruling out there's a bug or something corrupted in my profile setup since i appear to be the only one with goofy 'n slow loading problems here. The other thing is i'm one of the very few here with a dialup.

There's also the remote possibility the downloading algorithm here is geared and buffered for hi-speed users since this is a gaming related forum? Could be before my download is successfully completed, some spooky timeout occurs while my slow dialup is still chunking away. Grasping at straws now, this is THE ONLY forum i've had any download related problems, hell i don't know!
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Post by Hancock the Superb »

How do you download anything?

Like CMP3 and such.
Hancock the Superb
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Post by JC Edwards »

Hancock the Superb wrote:
How do you download anything?

Like CMP3 and such.
Go here: http://www.brettschulte.net/CWBlog/warg ... d-pack-30/

Click on CMP 3.0 english.exe

Takes a little while, but it's worth it. Remember, it will override everything in the TC2M file and you'll have to adjust things the way you want them......like which tool bar you want to use.

If you have any problems just report back to us and we'll get you set up.;)
'The path that is not seen, nor hidden, should always be flanked'
ironsight
Reactions:

Post by ironsight »

Norb FWIW:
Well i just discovered i've got Mozilla Firefox 3.0.1 loaded on my machine and decided to try it out here. Holy Smokes! :angry:
Downloads are roughly 10 times slower than IE and i still have the same goofy problem of not going directly to the last page of a thread from the home page link.

Also i checked out the 'Error Console' and there are a ton of errors and warnings!
I'll post that error page maybe tomorrow. Might need to download some plugins?
But these are the biggies:

Failed to load XPCOM component: C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\Firefox\Extension\components\.autoreg

Failed to load XPCOM component: C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\Firefox\Extension\components\component.dll

Failed to load XPCOM component: C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\Firefox\Extension\components\vmsfdmff.ilk

A whole bunch of these:
Warning: Error in parsing value for property 'cursor'. Declaration dropped.
Source File: http://www.norbsoftware.com/Portal/inde ... rt=20#4133
Line: 0

Error: ($(B) || document).getElement is not a function
Source File: http://www.norbsoftware.com/Portal/temp ... se-1.11.js
Line: 130

Error: ($(B) || document).getElement is not a function
Source File: http://www.norbsoftware.com/Portal/temp ... se-1.11.js
Line: 130

Still playing with this Firefox but so far does any of this make sense to you or anyone else here??
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Post by JC Edwards »

Yeah I have Mozilla only for the purpose of downloading some music using a plug in available through Mozilla........needless to say it didn't work.....so much for that!:dry:

I say jetison the piece of crapola!
ironsight
Reactions:

Post by ironsight »

Yah, JC, i'm not impressed with Mozilla either!
The only reason i tried it is i seem to remember Norb recommended it to see if it fixes my forum problems here and i think he said he uses it also. I gotta believe failing to load those files has something to do with the slow downloads and probably all those errors also.

Having said that, i get errors with IE also. My latest theory is that you guys with broadband get the errors also, but any possible error timeouts or error processing times are meaningless because the entire page has already been downloaded in a milli-second.
Could be with a slow dialup, these error timeouts/processing times are whats causing my problems because the entire page has not been downloaded yet. Further, the server might be also timing out thinking the correct page has been downloaded already but the error timeouts delayed the complete page download. Add to this, the errors apparently aren't catastrophic since the page eventually gets downloaded.

It takes roughly 15 to 30 seconds to download a single page here with my dialup. Double that if i click on a link from the homepage because that link does NOT take me to the last current page the first try. By contrast, downloading a single page on the old MMG forum takes just a couple seconds. I'm starting to think all these download errors are whats causing my slow downloads here.

Hancock:
I calculated it would take me anywhere from 10 to 12 hours to download CMP3.0!:(
And thats assuming there were no telco dropouts during that time.
So when i had my new PC built part of the deal was they would download some big files and put em on my hard drive including CMP. It took them 20 seconds to download CMP3.0 with their broadband! These guys also said in the future they'd download big files for me for the cost of the CD.
However, i haven't implemented CMP yet into TC2M, just too dam lazy i geuss.
Last edited by ironsight on Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Post by JC Edwards »

Hey ironsightinstead of a CD, use a 4GB flashdrive. Lisa got me one for Christmas and I'm going to back up my entire CMP 3 TC2M file onto it.

That's the most wonderful part of the CMP......you do not need the TC2M CD in the drive to play the game.:cheer:
ironsight
Reactions:

Post by ironsight »

I used USB flash drives to xfer files from my old PC to the new rig. They work great!

Didn't know the TC2M CD didn't need to be in the drive to play a battle. Kind of puzzling?
Must be a hole in the anti-piracy utility.
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Post by JC Edwards »

I'm not tech savvy, but I believe it has something to do with the game engine.

ADukes or Norb would know more about that whole process more than I.....but I've been playing the game without the CD since the CMP 2.
Ephrum
Reactions:

Post by Ephrum »

After I downloaded Patch3, I didn't need the cd either. And that was before I downloaded CMP3.
Last edited by Ephrum on Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
OHIO UNIVERSITY