Ultimate HITS Scenario?

con20or
Reactions:

Ultimate HITS Scenario?

Post by con20or »

With all the talk of new addons, new maps, new scenarios - it got me thinking what the best scenario for HITS play would be.

It would have to have lots of manouvering and marching before the battle, so that means multiple objectives, and limited line of sight.

Any ideas?
Little Powell
Reactions:

Re: Ultimate HITS Scenario?

Post by Little Powell »

As far as the Gettyburg scenarios, GB07 On To The Round Tops is a good one. Multiple OBJ's, lots of ground to cover, lots going on, plus the terrain from the saddle is very cool looking. If you've ever been to Gettysburg, you'll swear you are actually there when you play this scenario. :)

I'd like to see what kind of scores folks can get playing this HITS. You really gotta trust your subordinate commanders because you can only be one place at one time.
Last edited by Little Powell on Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Will give it a look....Charge!!! Anyway, all of my troops have iPhones and twitter so i'll find out soon enough.

I have been thinking of a scenario where you are a division commander, and although you outnumber the enemy, you are defending three or four obj's, or no OBJ's but maybe a big wagon train, with one spawning every 5 mins or so and folowing a set path. On one of the big maps like alpine where once you order a regiment away, it takes ages to order back.

Cant think of how to make it really good for HITS though.

Out of curiosity, could you make a river impassable? So only bridges, or a few chokepoints/crossings would be possible? I suppose you could lower the movement speed in water to zero..but the AI wouldnt know that and try and cross - so long army :)
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

If achieving a major victory is an important consideration, then in having played all of them in historic mode, three stand out in my mind as having good playability. Three Times is Not A Charm, Sickles Stays Home and To The Round Tops are very good scenarios and the ones a player is likely to reach the necessary point total. They do not require the player to micro-manage the position of individual regiments but need broader 'grand tactical' considerations.

However, if the point totals are ignored, then many of the scenarios are very good in historic play. Blood In The Run, We Want Those Guns and McPherson's Ridge all come to mind. However, the best scenario I've come across for historic play is the Pender scenario in the bonus scenario section. It's a very complex tactical problem and lends itself well to courier play. That's not to say that simple problems are not good. The 1st two Pipe Creek scenarios are excellent for HITS.

The best advice I can give to players wanting to give the scenarios a go on the back of a horse is to ignore the point totals and focus on the objective. The point totals merely reflect what a player can do flying over the battlefield issuing instant commands and demanding total compliance with his wishes. Girlie play IMHO. :laugh:
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

I agree 100% - that was the thinking behind my wagon train idea. You would be protecting your supply line, points would be calculated on how many wagons the enemy intercepted. So a score of zero would be a MV for the player :)

Most battles are fought to stop one side from reaching a certain point, oand most manouvering is done to stop people cutting off you line of supply or getting at vulnerable targets.

Will have to check out pipe creek, I bought it just after I started testing Antietam so never got a chance to play it properly.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

con20or wrote:
You would be protecting your supply line, points would be calculated on how many wagons the enemy intercepted
That might make for an interesting scenario. So long as the defenders don't have to be micro-positioned, it would be fun having to protect an extended objective. I think I'll circle the wagons. Can I have Custer defending them?
Last edited by Marching Thru Georgia on Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

con20or wrote:
You would be protecting your supply line, points would be calculated on how many wagons the enemy intercepted
That might make for an interesting scenario. So long as the defenders do have to be micro-positioned, it would be fun having to protect an extended objective. I think I'll circle the wagons. Can I have Custer defending them?
Out of curiosity, is Custer a symbol of a forlorn hope, or a tenacious defence in the US?

That was the thinking behind my 'can you make a river impassable' question. At present everyone can get everywhere. But if you could have an impassable river running through a map, and just a few cross points, then it would definitely make a difference. Even if you made water tiles have such a crossing penalty that no-one would ever dare to give a movement order that didnt include 'use roads' then you would be on the right track...

So my thinking is 4 objectives, 3 friendly brigades. The enemy has one very strong (or 2 medium) brigades....
Last edited by con20or on Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Out of curiosity, is Custer a symbol of a forlorn hope, or a tenacious defence in the US?
Nope, audacious offensive power. His history after the war made him a symbol of megalomania receiving its just desserts.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Nope, audacious offensive power. His history after the war made him a symbol of megalomania receiving its just desserts.
Link me!