Can anyone explain how cav functions?

Lord Ashram
Reactions:

Can anyone explain how cav functions?

Post by Lord Ashram »

Hey all!

Okay, this sounds a bit newbie... but can anyone explain how cav works? I find that my cav often halts right in front of enemies, and sometimes when I charge they begin to charge and then just run away... this happens even without taking casualties and without taking fire...

Can anyone give a simple rundown about how best to use them? I am finding cav very frustrating, especially when I catch an entire enemy in column with my cavalry and then I cannot seem to get my horses to run them all down, as they would in real life!

Thanks!
gunship24
Reactions:

Re: Can anyone explain how cav functions?

Post by gunship24 »

Hi,

Cavalry should charge fine if in the correct terrain and if they are fresh. Just want to check now you have downloaded the drills patch in the download thread which fixes some charge bugs?

There are two types of charge: Manual (toolbar command) and Auto charge. The auto charge range is 100 yards.

Things which stop them charging are:
1) Wooded terrain, and possibly other types. If you charge and they are in Wood they will retire instead, this is all hard coded. This seems to be only when they start the charge so passing through a wood maybe ok, could be wrong though.
2) Fatigue. The higher the fatigue the more chance they will retire rather than charge. This is done by a test.
3) Moral. Low moral and they will decide to retire instead. Again this is done by a test.
4) Sometimes they will stop charging if the unit they are charging is already in combat with another unit, ive noticed this myself, its hard coded and guess you could call this a feature
5) Sometimes the target unit might do something to halt your charge, it happens sometimes like a game glitch or something.
6) Artillery. There is a game bug that prevents cavalry from Auto charging limbered artillery (unlimbered is fine) but they will do it fine if you give them a manual order
7) Taking casualties. Taking a casulaty effects thier moral. So taking casualties in the charge could mean they fail their moral test.
8) Ammo. Ok, so this ones a bit odd. In the OOB make sure they have plenty of 'ammo' as they are based on ACW cavalry that had rifles. If they run out of ammo, or dont have any to start with they might try to constantly move to resupply against your wishes.

Edit:
A cavalry unit can only really be used once or twice before it becomes to fatigured or demoralised to continue. this simulates the 'blown' effect and they have to rally before they are fresh again. Cavalry is also more fragile due to the infantry unable to form effective squares.

Going back to the Auto charge, the range is 100 yards, so if you have cavalry that cannot charge for any reasons like those above you will automatically retire instead. Hope that helps. If you are still stuck reply and ill have a look.
Last edited by gunship24 on Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

All,

Exactly. Couldn't have said it better.

Jack B)
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
pcelt
Reactions:

Post by pcelt »

Auto charge is at 100yds---At what range will the cavalry line respond to a manual "Charge" order-and do you have to mouse- click to indicate the target for the charge or does the cavalry select its own target.
Thanks for any clarification of these basic queries
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Hey all!

Okay, this sounds a bit newbie... but can anyone explain how cav works? I find that my cav often halts right in front of enemies, and sometimes when I charge they begin to charge and then just run away... this happens even without taking casualties and without taking fire...

Can anyone give a simple rundown about how best to use them? I am finding cav very frustrating, especially when I catch an entire enemy in column with my cavalry and then I cannot seem to get my horses to run them all down, as they would in real life!

Thanks!
Have you tried the cavalry tutorial? It gives really good instructions.
Lord Ashram
Reactions:

Post by Lord Ashram »

I haven't. I get the ACW cav just fine (they fight dismounted anyway) but close combat cav in this engine is a bit of a pain in the rear end... it feels close to uncontrollable at times. Just wanted to see if I was missing anything.
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

Pcelt,

Damn good questions - I don't know if there is a manual charge range. I've never noticed. Yes, the Horse Squadrons will choose their own target, unless you have TC'd them and direct them yourself.

Ash,

Apologies for not noticing the 2nd. half of your questions - As an Infantryman for real, I find using the Cavalry almost the best part of the Mod. After much trial and error, this is what I have found - TC your Horsemen. Form your Cavalry where you want them. Pick your target. Click way beyond the target unit. Once the horsemen start moving, give it a second, then double-quick them. They will charge when they reach charge range. Un TC them and let the fighting begin. By clicking beyond the unit tarhet(s), all you squadrons should get to join the fun.

Formations for Cavaly - I have narrowed it down to two - Column of Squadrons or Double-Line. I use Column of Squadrons mostly for the following reasons - 1) It is historically correct. Most Cavalry charges were done this way. Command and control were better than in line and reserves were close at hand in case of trouble. 2) As the Horsmen advance each Squadron is ALREADY in line to charge, when they need to. 4) It looks really cool.

Variations - I use Column of Squadrons for Cavalry Brigades of 4 or less Squadrons. I use Double Line for Brigades of 5 or more Sqaudrons, (Mostly for the Austrians and Bavarians.)

I always TC the Brigade Cmdr before the charge. That way they will actually hit where you need them to hit. I always un-TC him after they are engaged, so he/they can create as much merry hell as possible on thier own. I'll grab them back after they're all blown and whatnot, and retire what's left behind the Infantry lines. Once in a great while, I'll turn a Squadron or 2 loose on the "find easy units" command, but not often.

Hope this helps.

Jack B)

"Molon Labe"
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

An addendum to before -

I will use Cavalry in a line formation only if they are to form on the extreme flanks. 8 Squadrons of Cavalry suck up a huge amount of space and are horribly unweildy to use. A French Regiment of 3 Squadrons in line is easier. Thats why I will always use a double line of battle for a regiment of 5 or more Squadrons.

Jack B)

"Molon Labe"