Artillary retreating

General Question/Answer/Announcement about NSD. We are a small independent game development team and we value our community. If you ask, we'll answer.
BOSTON
Reactions:

Re:Artillary retreating

Post by BOSTON »

Jim wrote:
The most common cause of this in TC2M is low ammo levels. Since a battery out of ammo is a big fat target, there is no upside to it hanging around.

-Jim
Jim

Artillery was in supply, or nearly full, (a star to represent an officer is present) even if the guns ran out of cannaster shot, should'nt they be able to use other munitions and not lose the advantage of the position to continue to tear up the next available target. Sometimes the infantry being targeted is in the prone position and keeps keep taking round after round till they route, then in short order some, if not all of my guns retreat, which dose'nt make sense to me. Historicly would this be the case? The guns used are usually smoothbore, known to be the best in close quarter fighting. Not to be overly simplistic, if I can slaughter the enemy infantry with cannons while my troops pin them and carry on down the line of my enemy, saving my side from alot of casualties, makes for a time to have a good smoke.:woohoo:

Bending your ear a little bit, Hoistingman4
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Post by Hancock the Superb »

He's right, they would also fire solid and case shot with half a second fuse in addition to cannister if they were needing to hold them back.
Hancock the Superb
ironsight
Reactions:

Post by ironsight »

hoistingman, i think human nature aka fear not to mention the relatively long time it takes to limber might enter into this. I could be wrong but i think if i were a 19th century artillery commander with the enemy within cannister range yet none of my guns had cannister rounds on hand, i would probably give the order to retreat to safer ground while there is still time to do so.
I think the AI has basically got this in the ballpark assuming the commander is not TCd. On the other hand the AI is full of boloney when it comes to taking out enemy guns with overwhelmingly concentrated artillery power as mentioned.
BOSTON
Reactions:

Post by BOSTON »

Ironsight

Once getting into a game, every commander get's TC'd, it drives me bizerk when units start to wander around in la la land with their leaders. TC-ing a commander into position with guns (not TC-ing guns), I'd like to feel those guns would stay put. Most of the time they do, what causes them to retreat outside of casualties is what I'd like to find out the method to the madness is? It could be real simple, and I just don't see it at the time, of course I expect my guns to take a beating before they retreat, if I was there beside them they would'nt move.:angry:

Still scratching, Hoistingman4

In the new games I'd like the artillery to have some balls.;)
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
122nd Ohio
Reactions:

Post by 122nd Ohio »

Are the guns running out of cannister, with enemies still in cannister range? That's all I can think of. Though it seems to only take a few casualties for a gun to start retreating.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

It sounds like the units are Re-Deploying , instead of retreating.

If the Artillery Commander - hasn’t been Detached and is still under the Command of the Corps Leader, this will happen.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
BOSTON
Reactions:

Post by BOSTON »

No, when the commands are TC'd, they are also detached, the cannonball icon is usually pretty full, the only thing have not done is look to that little window that indicates what is left in the (figuritivly) casson. In the heat of a battle it's almost futile to be checking that info while the game is in full swing with numerous batteries. I keep the guns resupplied constantly. Often when a gun has reached a point where is no longer retreating I'll arrange to resupply it, just to remove the doubt of having cannister.
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
ironsight
Reactions:

Post by ironsight »

Davinci Wrote: It sounds like the units are Re-Deploying , instead of retreating.
If the Artillery Commander - hasn’t been Detached and is still under the Command of the Corps Leader, this will happen.!
I just got done playing an OP medium battle where i positioned a TC'd battery well away from an enemy regiment but in a perfect strategic position who started pounding on that regiment. Then i sent a brigade to finish the job off. Well what do you know! That dam TCd artillery commander just up and left!:angry:
I think there's some murky things going on with TCing and unTC'd Divisional Commanders who was around at the time. And its not just artillery either. Similar things happen with TCd Brigade Commanders.

Simple question! Does an unTC'd Divisional Commander's orders trump a TC'd unit?
To me a TC'd unit should disregard their Divisional Commander's orders which does not seem to be the case sometimes.
BOSTON
Reactions:

Post by BOSTON »

Try detaching commanders also, besides TC-ing.
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
ironsight
Reactions:

Post by ironsight »

Try detaching commanders also, besides TC-ing.
To me usually playing the great R.E. Lee, my TC'd orders should prevail any Divisional Commander's orders. And then there's the unchained bug where those units still wander around looking for their Commander. I'm a little gun shy using the unchained feature as it backfired a whole lot of times in the past.

OK, simple question for you NSD gurus':
What is supposed to be the official pecking order and what supercedes what:
TC'd units
unchained units
Division orders
????????