Mod update including new sprites

gunship24
Reactions:

Re: Mod update including new sprites

Post by gunship24 »

Do the Units get Mixed Uniforms ?
Like showing some older Uniforms of the Same Type in Battle Experienced Units ?
It would be cool to see more of a mix in uniforms, that would seriously change things. I dont think its out of the question. My vision would be to add minor things like patched clothing, shako covers that sought of thing. Even different colours of leggings, the kind of thing you see on pro painted minatures where the majority of the unit looks the same but theres the odd difference here and there. I have to be weary of two things, memory usage and download/hard disk size, although I thinks its the quantity and not the mixture of sprites which is the performance issue.
Last edited by gunship24 on Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

Yes, quantity would be the main issue, I think also.

Jack B)
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
Nowy
Reactions:

Post by Nowy »

gunship24 you did great job for this mod.
These sprites looks quite fine and really fine ideas were these unit cards and improved main toolbar.

Nevertheless I got something what you could take into consideration.

Can these unit cards soldiers be painted with legwears?
It is not so important, but it could be cool.

There also are some small glitches in fascing colors details.
If I remember well, Voltigeurs from Light Regiments wore yellow epaulets sometime with few red details, while Line Regiments Voltigeurs wore green epaulets.
You also included here French shako pattern 1812 with yellow pompon, but French Legere Voltigeur in 1809 wore different shakos with characteristic yellow plumes and cords.
I think that you know these site, but sometimes it could be good check it again.
http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/napol ... forms.html

Regarding mixed uniforms or trousers - it is little bit useless idea. It looks strange when these 10eme Legere Voltigeur unit wore blue and white trousers and the same 10th Legere Regiment all Chasseur battalion wore blue trousers.

One more glitch is in units names and strenght. These OOB Voltigeurs 10eme Legere have 300 men, while Chasseur battalion have 459 men. If I remember well historically this Voltigeur unit it was only one company which had c.a. 140 men while Chasseur battalion included 4 companies, plus one Carabinier company.
But it is only the game, I know.

All these my remarks above are not so imortant, but it could be cool prepare units cards more accurate.
He111
Reactions:

Post by He111 »

It would be cool to see more of a mix in uniforms, that would seriously change things. I dont think its out of the question. My vision would be to add minor things like patched clothing, shako covers that sought of thing. Even different colours of leggings, the kind of thing you see on pro painted minatures where the majority of the unit looks the same but theres the odd difference here and there. I have to be weary of two things, memory usage and download/hard disk size, although I thinks its the quantity and not the mixture of sprites which is the performance issue.

Hey,
yea thats the same thing i thought about. Ther could be minor differences insinde a unit, but you recognize them as a whole. Winter great Coats would also do a perfect job in the later Imperial time frame.
Here just a little example of Mixed Uniforms, for the late Imprial timeframe

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o117 ... G_0229.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-mTMafCv8Ljs/T ... ished2.jpg
http://djokergaming.files.wordpress.com ... ry1web.jpg
gunship24
Reactions:

Post by gunship24 »

I am going to take the opportunity to rework the download. As it is it is difficult to provide an update without redownloading all the graphics file again. So I think if I seperate the Graphics/Unit folder into its own download that would be best. Updates to the core files would then be easier.
gunship24
Reactions:

Post by gunship24 »

I have also been able to create packed files. I am going to wait for patch 1.4 but will be re-creating all the sprites again. I have to re-render out everything.
He111
Reactions:

Post by He111 »

Cant wait for that to happen, i really would love to see the new fixes in action.
Whats the overall plan for the next bigger patch ? Can we expect to see some new Units or even maybe another faction/nation like swiss Units in France service, or something like this ?
How far will your Mod go regarding all involved European Nations ?

Cheers
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

Gun,

While I applaude He111's enthusiasm, I think I would settle for the Hungarian Infantry having cornflower blue trousers. ;)

I was actually going to open up the dds files for the Infantry with Tophats and color them in for the Mod. I finally realized they were what you meant when you said they were in the game. I think I'll wait until the revized Mod is available.

Jack B)

"Molon Labe"
gunship24
Reactions:

Post by gunship24 »

I can do the new packed textures but it does take some time. The good news is Hungarian infantry is done, well in the old format.

I would like to add the Kingdom of Italy. Then I think i will be looking at the Peninsula and the British.
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

Gun,

You are a God!

Yes, Italy would be nice. Have haltingly started an OOB for both sides there. Have become employed Stateside again so it will take some time. Thanks for the Hungarians. Now I don't have to learn to use Paint.net or Gimp. :laugh:

Jack B)

"Molon Labe"