HITS Guide

con20or
Reactions:

HITS Guide

Post by con20or »

Im hoping to put together a guide on playing HITS for new, interested players. If you have any tips, strategies etc, post them here and we'll try and get a list together.

This is very much a WIP, so just post when you feel like it and we'll tidy as we go!!
Last edited by con20or on Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SamSmith
Reactions:

Re: HITS Guide

Post by SamSmith »

I usually try to play with some kind of historical constraints. I find it helpful to think of the game as a sort of toolbox for simulation, with a lot of moving parts that can add or subtract different layers depending on your goal.

Camera Distance

"Historical" sets the camera distance to 10 yards from your general. This is hard on my eyes sometimes. I usually set the camera distance to somewhere between 20 and 50. 20 keeps you in the saddle, while 50 gives you enough space to keep a division or so within your line of sight.

Tip--in the options menu you can decide whether or not the camera moves as you go through the chain of command with the arrow keys. Telling the camera not to do that can save you a lot of time getting your head back on straight.

Map Information

I like a blank map, but SoW so far does not allow for subordinates to send helpful information up the chain of command. I think that the blank map when combined with a saddle camera leaves the player without information as to the approximate size, strength, and location of enemy units (not to mention some indication of how each subordinate's battle is going) that was generally available historically. Overall command is frantic and difficult. Which isn't always a bad thing simulation-wise, depending on what you're looking for. If you want something a little bit more forgiving, try "All in sight" or limit the map information to a small number of yards around your general.

If you are playing under an AI commander, a blank map is more to my liking. Many battles featured brigade/division level commanders who had absolutely no idea what the larger battle was looking like. A blank map adds tension and a substantial bit of realism to these assignments. It's nice to see flags coming over the hill! If they're yours, I mean.

Commands by Courier/Taking Charge

I haven't tried the 1.4 beta looking for the increased "shouting distance" that allows your general to issue courier-less orders within an increased range. This is a good idea, though. I'm a little bit impatient and it takes quite a while to, say, personally site a battery or direct a brigade by courier.

Giving players the option to choose their shouting distance might be interesting. Units over X yards from your general are ordered by courier, for example.

I'll say that I find the system of generating orders through the phrases available in the courier menu to be somewhat tedious. You are rewarded for knowing the system SoW offers, but learning the best way to use the system does not translate in my mind to simulating the historic challenges of order-writing (which are substantial in their own way). In the end, I too often catch my subordinates doing things that are patently against what a written order would have certainly specified. Realistic, to be sure, but not entirely so. Sometimes they've just got to stay on the damn hill. No offense, Mr. Sickles.

On the layers point, there is a lot of overlap between how you choose to model your couriers and how you set your camera distance in terms of what these things accomplish simulation-wise. From a limited camera distance there is no way to exercise direct control over more than one or two combat units to begin with. Most of your subordinates will need to be given over to AI control if the fight intensifies. This leads to satisfying tactical battles but leaves something out of grand tactical consideration, as you are still able to issue instant general orders to units far away on the map. Functionally this often means you lose out on the tension of sending a courier back to your reserves and then praying they get the message and get moving on time.

Playing with a fairly unlimited camera and extensive couriers leads toward an interesting simulation. I interpret the additional information from my jetpack as a visualization of combat reports I would be receiving from my subordinates. The command delay from couriers, which I have no problem issuing from the toolbar, will still force you to strongly consider your headquarters location and react to developments with very near (minus the advantages of exact information about the course of an engagement and a theoretically instant courier from your subordinate) historic speed. This is the best way I have found to use cavalry in a realistic scouting role.

------

This game gives us a fantastic array of tools for approaching historic simulation. These were just a few random thoughts. Generally, when I'm looking for an in-the-saddle game I use a camera distance of around 30 yards and give myself the ability to issue instant orders, but still probably use couriers if I can't see the flag of the unit that I'm trying to order from my saddle. I go back and forth on the blank map, depending on whether I'm in overall command or playing under AI.

I also highly recommend the sound mods you can find here: http://www.norbsoftdev.net/index.php/fo ... od-threads

They add a lot to the experience, thanks guys. I'm also fond of the realistic smoke mod. Often my entire screen is nothing but a cloud of smoke. Also mess around with the sprite ratios! I'm glad to see that's easily changeable now.

I'm very interested to know how others approach the challenge.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Great! Thanks.

I picked up a good tip myself there - I never used the menu option to stop my view being changed.

The new shouting distance isnt huge - you couldnt really shout the length of a two regiments in real life, but you'll particularly notice it when generals/units are close.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

When I was fighting hard for my 4th star, I learned a few tricks that make historic mode both enjoyable and winnable. Many of the observations that SamSmith made are spot on.

As in real estate, it's all about location. The player has to find a spot where he can see at least a portion of the battle line. Most battles will have one, you just have to find it. In fact, at times I've directed my troops to take a bit of ground just so I would have a decent observation point. If there isn't any such position, say a fight in the woods, then like Hancock, you have to be constantly in motion. Back and forth along your line. NEVER stop. If you do, the breakthrough will come where you are not and you won't be able to either plug it or exploit it. Unlike HistWar, your subordinates do not send you any info concerning their piece of the fight. This is probably the greatest shortcoming of historic play. For custom players, you can use the arrow keys to jump to your subordinate's horse and observe various parts of the battle. I always recommend doing this when learning to fight from the saddle. Since historic play gives you a blank map, I have a large copy that I print off and put in a plastic sleeve. I then draw the positions of my line and the enemy's with water soluble markers. That way I can erase and redraw things as the battle progresses. This works quite well and I like to imagine that my 19th century brothers in arms did something similar. I can have a somewhat accurate picture of what the enemy is up to and what I can do to counter it.

Anticipation is key. Without instant communication and the ability to see the entire battle at once, you have to develop a very keen feel for what is going on. How are your troops holding up, where is your line or the enemy's line getting thin. The reserves need to be brought nearby to address the situation. When the battle begins, you can be almost certain that you will be facing the largest portion of the enemy's forces. As soon as the shooting begins, I often call for support from BOTH my superior and fellow commander, (if one exists). This is all via courier, so it takes some time for help to arrive. If you wait till it is really needed, chances are the help will arrive too late. Anticipate disaster.

Husband your reserves and always have some. Unlike European battles, the ACW had quite shallow reserves. This is in keeping with Seven Years War tactics of long linear lines. However, in historic mode, where the player never really knows what's going on, he has to be prepared for any surprise or opportunity. As a division commander I always pick a division with at least 3 brigades. I keep one as a reserve. As corps commander I will start by keeping one division as a reserve and feed in brigades one at a time as I need to. I TC, (I wrote a dirty word), that division commander and basically assume his role. Reserves are always given a hold stance so they don't wander off. As the battle develops, I will move my reserves to a point near where I think I may have need of them. I don't commit them, just have them close by. Knowing when to send in the reserves is probably the hardest part of this game. Too soon and they will not be effective and will just get chewed up in the front line battle. Too late and they will be overwhelmed. I tend to commit mine too early at a point where I think I can achieve a breakthrough only to find that the AI has started a flank attack that will overwhelm me before my attack can succeed. The most important thing to remember is that once you have committed your reserves, you are now a bystander. You cannot affect the battle in any meaningful way.

That segues into how the player can affect the battle in small ways. Once the reserves are in, the player now can only direct individual regiments. When things are still in flux, I will ride over to a point where I think I can help shore up part of the line or start a small flanking maneuver. I will then detach a regiment or two so, that I have control of them. I will then micro-position them using the toolbar. Written orders are not helpful at the regiment level. I have changed the outcome of a number of battles this way, sometimes not in the way I had wished. NEVER do this while you still have some strategic command of the battle. You'll spend so much time worrying about a small slice of the fighting that you'll lose awareness of the overall battle.

Finally, exploits one can use. The AI's greatest weakness is it's poor use of reserves. Most of the time, the AI will never commit them. They will either watch the battle from a safe distance, or be completely out of sight. The player then will have a locally superior force and can then overwhelm him. However, when the AI does commit them, you will loose. Regardless of how good you think you are, the AI is a far superior general at ground level. In many a battle, I would be issuing orders to halt the advance of my troops as they began the mop-up phase, when over the hill comes a fresh division of the enemy. My victory lap turns into a route. Like Napoleon in his later years, the AI tends to commit them a little late, but they are crushing. You can usually tell when this is about to occur because the commander of the reserves will ride up and begin surveying the battle. After proper contemplation, he will send out couriers to bring up his troops. At this point, unless you have a greatly superior force, remember your boys are tired, you need to disengage if possible or assume a very good defensive posture. There is a world of hurt coming down that road. As I said, you need to find a spot and carefully watch the battle and what the enemy is up to. When the reserve commander shows up, act at once. If Norb ever reads this and decides to improve this part of the AI, the game will become nearly impossible to win at the historic level.

The enemy artillery does not position itself very well and will almost always use shrapnel rounds. We need to exploit this. The player, even at corps level, should position his own arty and order that solid shot be used. Your batteries will rack up enormous kill scores over the battle's course. I always bring up the ammo wagon and constantly supply the arty. I use point and click for this.

Historic mode being very different than normal play, it's not surprising that what might count as a success in one is not important in the other. First, forget about the point total, it is a complete abstraction when sitting a horse. My greatest battle victory ever gave me a score of -54. Although I beat the game at the historic level, I don't consider any of those wins as satisfying. If SOW has one flaw, it is that the AI has no fear of doom. It will fight to the last man and your men will pursue him. That didn't happen in the ACW. Generals had the good sense of knowing when they were beat. The AI does not. So I've developed my own decision point of when a battle has been either lost of won. I use two criteria; 1. I have achieved my objective. 2. I still have some semblance of a fighting force.

I'll illustrate with a report of my last battle as corps commander. It was a meeting engagement where I had a local superiority of 3:2. I held the enemy with one division. I fed in two brigade from my reserve division, one on each flank, as the enemy was attempting a double envelopment. When I judged the time right, I sent in my last brigade into the center. The enemy collapsed in that sector. I had split the enemy force in two and began attacking his new flanks. Since the AI showed no interest in bringing up his reserves, I concluded that this was a major victory. Although the enemy kept fighting as if nothing had happened. no human general would have continued in such a state. I know from long experience that at this point, casualties are traded at about one for one. I would have ended up with ~1 brigade after I ran off the last cannon. I stopped it at this point with 40-50% casualties. That's a common number for my victories. Both of my criteria had been satisfied. I controlled the battlefield and although one of my divisions was wrecked, my other was still a fighting force. And for fairness, I use the same criteria in my defeats, which are numerous.
Last edited by Marching Thru Georgia on Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
CoB4thTEXAS
Reactions:

Post by CoB4thTEXAS »

H.I.T.S to me is very simple, set camera to 2, and use only the courier button.

Believe me the enemy A.I. will teach you everything else you need to know, and you'll know if you won your part of the battle, no matter what the overall outcome of the battle was.

I'm sure all will be forgiven if you have to use the re-supply button once in while. B)

*S*
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

I find that there are only a few combinations of orders that I use in a typical battle. I write them all in one order.

Moving to a location (one order)
1. Move to the following location, (point on the map)
2. Face your unit in this direction
3. Change to this formation
4. Hold (Defend for a timid subordinate)
5. Use the roads (if not close to the destination)

Do not reverse the order of 2 and 3. Otherwise you will end up with a strange looking formation. Use the roads is always the last order. Otherwise the units will march to the commander before marching to the road. This way they will pick the shortest route to the road.

Moving units when the battle is near.
1. No orders (critical)
2. your movement orders...

If you've ever been frustrated with the artillery not moving to a new location, it's because they are engaged, (read busy). No orders will snap them out of their trance and they will limber up and move to the new location. I also use this when moving my reserves that might be near the battle. Even though not directly engaged, I take no chances. With couriers time is precious. I don't want to have to issue the same order twice.

Send for help before you really need it. The fight will always be worse than you think it will be.
1. Request support

Send it to both your superior and fellow corps or division commander. As a brigade commander, ask for help from any arty battery not engaged. They will move up behind you and start blasting away. I love the hot breath of friendly artillery on my neck.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
gbs
Reactions:

Post by gbs »

This is really great information! Thanks for sharing and "Merry Christmas".
gbs
Reactions:

Post by gbs »

Just getting back into playing since the latest patch.....was there at one time an option on the courier page to bring up a command map and click the "move to" location ther versus naming a geographic location? I don't see it now.

ThE 1.04 patch mentions a list of sent messages. Where is it?
SamSmith
Reactions:

Post by SamSmith »

It is still there. Should be "Move to this map point." The sent messages can be found on the toolbar in the Orders tab.
gbs
Reactions:

Post by gbs »

It is still there. Should be "Move to this map point." The sent messages can be found on the toolbar in the Orders tab.
I do not see "move to this map point". I'm composing a courier message to a commander. Under ."Move your unit....." I see "Move to this location". There is a list of geographical locations to chose from. There is also a map I can pull up at that point but if I click on the map, nothing appears on the courier message so it appears to be just to look at with no interaction.
I am using the latest beta patch.
Are the patches cumulative?
I remember when Norb put the map point feature in a patch or was it a mod? I can't figure why I no longer have it. I would love some advice.