HITS Guide

con20or
Reactions:

Re: HITS Guide

Post by con20or »

Hi gbs,

Does your courier screen look like this? Move to map point should be the top option.
Attachments
courier.jpg
courier.jpg (264.02 KiB) Viewed 958 times
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

I find that there are only a few combinations of orders that I use in a typical battle. I write them all in one order.

Moving to a location (one order)
1. Move to the following location, (point on the map)
2. Face your unit in this direction
3. Change to this formation
4. Hold (Defend for a timid subordinate)
5. Use the roads (if not close to the destination)

Do not reverse the order of 2 and 3. Otherwise you will end up with a strange looking formation. Use the roads is always the last order. Otherwise the units will march to the commander before marching to the road. This way they will pick the shortest route to the road.
Great tips MTG - I did not that about making use roads the last order.
Last edited by con20or on Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigBlue
Reactions:

Post by BigBlue »

You can shout????

Never knew that!

How do you do it and what can you say?

Wonderful!
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

BigBlue wrote:
How do you do it and what can you say?
It just means that if you are close enough to the recipient, no courier is needed. The message get transmitted instantly.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Braxton Bragg
Reactions:

Post by Braxton Bragg »

Ok Guys I have not played the game using HITS and courier's before must say many thanks to you all
for putting all this info up for us oldies, thing is HITS now I can still move to whatever part of the field I wish to go to, The sendng orders to Div Generals is a bit long winded as before you could just click on Div TC him and point and click Formation, so what is the advantage in all this Courier and hits thing all for??

Braxton Bragg
There will always be a counter argument!
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

No advantage - TCing troops is far easier - HITS is just the highest realism level.

In HITS, couriers deliver all your orders. You can still click a division officer, direct him to a spot, click formation, only now a courier will go out to him delivering that order. He wont move till it reaches himm. He will then send couriers to his brigades, who wont move until those couriers reach them, and the whole body is under AI control.

You're just directing the overall battle, or troops nearest you.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

HITS play is for when you get tired of beating the AI from your station in the Goodyear Blimp and want a good dose of humility. Glued to the saddle with limited vision and issuing written orders with all the inherent delays is probably as close to what the actual experience was like. At this level you quickly find out how good this AI really is and how wanting is your generalship. On normal mode I can beat the AI nearly every time with little effort. In historic mode my average was ~65%. With the new AI improvements in this patch, it is probably a bit below 50% again.

At this level, TC is no longer an option. You have to rely on your subordinates and all the advantages and shortcomings and their uncanny human-like behavior. If you get the urge to try this mode of play, I suggest setting the game to Custom, with division level couriers. Set the map level to 1000 yd. Leave everything else at the default value. When the game starts, click the 'F' button twice. Now you are glued to the saddle but you can move up and down like a periscope. Also, you can jump to a subordinates saddle by using the OOB button and view the battle from his perspective. Those dumb things that the AI does when viewed from the blimp, suddenly don't look so dumb. As I said at the beginning, be prepared for humility. Those boys in blue will be having their way with you. ;)
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Baldwin
Reactions:

Post by Baldwin »

"but SoW so far does not allow for subordinates to send helpful information up the chain of command"

I noticed in some of my recent games that your subordinates will tell you via courier "enemy in sight" which is helpful. It was probably included in one of the recent patches.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

yeh, and also when they engage the enemy, and also if they are in big trouble and need reinforements badly.

1.3xx added them.