Burnsides bridge dry river bed ?

Here is where we discuss the official add-on packs for Scourge Of War: Gettysburg.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Re: Burnsides bridge dry river bed ?

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

I don't believe the AI takes into consideration any terrain penalties when moving regardless of their severity. It simply uses a straight line to move from point A to B. Therefore the only way to prevent the AI from doing something completely silly is to make certain features impassable. Perhaps very low but invisible buildings could have been place along certain portions of the stream bank or creek itself to exclude troop movement
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

I don't believe the AI takes into consideration any terrain penalties when moving regardless of their severity. It simply uses a straight line to move from point A to B. Therefore the only way to prevent the AI from doing something completely silly is to make certain features impassable. Perhaps very low but invisible buildings could have been place along certain portions of the stream bank or creek itself to exclude troop movement
Shoulda, woulda, coulda, yeah, I made suggestions along these lines. I thought that we could also have a few narrow passages where the troops could funnel through with great difficulty, which did indeed happen historically. However, I fought the LAW, and the LAW won. :woohoo:
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Again, I understand both sides of the argument. If you make it impassable, then what if the player wants to try and cross? And what about for the MP folks that want to play a what if where Burnside sent his Corps over the creek like he should have? Like so many things, we can't make everybody happy unless you mod your own version.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Little Powell wrote:
And what about for the MP folks that want to play a what if where Burnside sent his Corps over the creek like he should have? Like so many things, we can't make everybody happy unless you mod your own version.
I'd be surprised if more than 2% of the games sold are actually used to play MP. MP'ers are loud but small in number. Besides, if that slope was climbable, Burnside's men would have done so.

I'd be more than happy to mod it myself. How do I add impassable terrain to the map?
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Besides, if that slope was climbable, Burnside's men would have done so.
That's the age old argument isn't it. I have seen that hotly debated at other history forums.

I would have to go back and check but I believe you can assign a grayscale to allow no movement, or at least the troops will try to find a path around it. I'll have to ask LouiRaider about that one.
Last edited by Little Powell on Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

I would have to go back and check but I believe you can assign a grayscale to allow no movement, or at least the troops will try to find a path around it. I'll have to ask LouiRaider about that one.
That would be great, thanks.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Unfortunately folks, making the creek impassable is just the tip of the iceberg in reaching our goal of HISTORICAL SCENARIOS for the Burnside, Rohrbach Bridge battleground.

Other Issues:

1) Elevation and grade - not accurately possible with the present map engine as the sprites are 12 feet tall
2) Musket ranges - This can be modded, but the stock ranges are way too short for the historical setting as the Rebs had musket range command well beyond the bridge and along and beyond the creek. Presently, from their historic heights positions, their range is barely to the other side of the bridge and in the southern areas, not even to the creek.
3) SR1 is the only way the Reb forces can cover the historically covered positions along the creek.
4) Skirmish formation is the only way to stretch the Reb units out and then barely cover the historically covered positions along the creek. And, the present skirmish formations are not practical because once stretched out adequately, they would take forever to wheel, and would undoubtedly wheel into the creek. Frankly, the new engine needs to include skirmish formations that don't require wheeling to have adequate firepower as demonstrated historically and realistically.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

I'd be more than happy to mod it myself. How do I add impassable terrain to the map?
Norb programmed one-code in the previous game to act as a sort of barrier around rivers, creeks and streams.

It is the grey-scale-color-25 that has this function.

Basically, you would treat it as a road \ border around the creek that you didn't want crossed.

So, the color\ border has to resemble a road, there can not be any missing pixels or this will cause an error.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Davinci wrote:
It is the grey-scale-color-25 that has this function.
Basically, you would treat it as a road \ border around the creek that you didn't want crossed.
In SOW it's just another type of terrain. If there is some magic number to put into the movement modifier column to designate impassable, then that could be used.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

In SOW it's just another type of terrain. If there is some magic number to put into the movement modifier column to designate impassable, then that could be used.
OK.....let's go at this from another direction!

This grey-scale-color-25 is specifically written by Norb to act as a sort of barrier from crossing streams, creeks or rivers.

This is the only color that has this unique ability.

As far as a number that is assigned to it, I don't ever remember giving it one, so I'm guessing that a zero will work.

But, I did just check the default value used by TC2M - and it has a -1 listed!

Not sure what you mean by another type of terrain !

davinci
Last edited by Davinci on Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!