Battle of Chickamauga

Here is where we discuss the official add-on packs for Scourge Of War: Gettysburg.
Blaugrana
Reactions:

Re: Battle of Chickamuanga

Post by Blaugrana »

Chancellorsville
I've just started Stephen Sears' Chancellorsville. Yes please!
I'm now half-way through the excellent Chancellorsville. I'd rather not. I hate fighting in woods ...
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Yeah, woods fighting can be.. interesting, especially in thick woods. There's really no advantage for either side. Little or no artillery or cavalry support.. The enemy can come from any direction and you wouldn't know it until they are practically on top of you.. It definitely adds an interesting and challenging layer to the fight. It's the reason why Lee chose to intercept the Federals at the Battle of The Wilderness... Numbers don't matter that much in thick woods.
Blaugrana
Reactions:

Post by Blaugrana »

In HITS it certainly is very challenging. Interesting to a point ...

Unless perhaps you could play it with HITS and then go back later, replay the battle and watch what happened from an observation balloon. Now that would be fun!
Gudadantza
Reactions:

Post by Gudadantza »

Playing into woods is in my favourites. I loved it in 2nd Manassas, and I consider it one of the specific details and flavor differencing napoleonic and CW battles in a game.
I can not explain it exactly.
Fiveforks
Reactions:

Post by Fiveforks »

I agree-gunboats would be sweet. A siege of Vicksburg campaign could showcase them, as well as a Shiloh/Corinth campaign. The battles in the Wilderness, including Chancellorsville, would be intriguing, as would be the massive fights for Chattanooga/Chickamuanga or Richmond/Petersburg. How bout some Spotsylvania Courthouse anyone?
Whatever they do next, I just hope they stay with the Civil War and don't go all Waterloo or WWII on us. Those wars are well represented in the PC war-gamer market, whereas the Civil War has been mostly, sadly neglected.
Flanyboy
Reactions:

Post by Flanyboy »

At the tactical level I agree WW2 is hammered to death, I don't think I agree about Napoleonic being well covered though.
redcoat
Reactions:

Post by redcoat »

napoleonics well represented? dont think so! cheers
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Yes, apart from the silly TW title I can't think of any Napoleonic wargame titles apart from Histwar, whereas there have been LOADS of ACW wargames before now by the likes of Sid Meier, AGEOD, etc.

Napoleonics is a huge untapped market waiting to pay you their money!
Last edited by Saddletank on Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Flanyboy
Reactions:

Post by Flanyboy »

Well to be fair there was, Waterloo Napoleon's Last Battle and Austerlitz Napoleon's Greatest Victory which were very similar to the Sid Meier games but all those games are very old now.

There is also the Crown of Glory series, which is really more strategic than we are talking about here.

Actually didn't Norb work on the Waterloo game I mentioned above? Or was it Austerlitz? I know he worked on one of them.
MikeCK
Reactions:

Post by MikeCK »

Yeah, plus all of the John Tiller games," empire in arms" and several other Matrix games nappy titles.