Hunt Them Down at Sharpsburg

Had a great game? Want to write about it. These things can be very exciting, so if you want to share, post them here. The best will be reposted to the front page of the site!
SamSmith
Reactions:

Hunt Them Down at Sharpsburg

Post by SamSmith »

Currently in the middle of an open play battle. AP Hill's climactic assault on my left flank is in full swing. Thought I'd post the engagement to this point.

I'm playing with the following settings:

Antietam--Morning
Corps vs. Corps
Brig_Div_Day_2--Sedgwick's Corps

Max Camera Distance 150
All orders by courier
Blank map

My corps approached the field from the east side of the Antietam creek. I commanded three divisions under Howe, Wheaton, and Wright. We marched to a wooded ridge line overlooking the water. I posted Wright on my southern flank, Wheaton on the north, with Howe in the center. Howe was in the reserve role, as Wright and Wheaton each defended the two likely crossings into my sector.

I spotted Heth's division on the road, headed towards the southern side of my battle line.

They gathered at a farmhouse well away from the southern crossing. I guessed them to be my enemy's reserve and took off to find Hill's other two divisions.

Dorsey Pender found me first, splashing across at the northern crossing. I knew he was a powerful, clever attacker.

The first force across was merely the pinning attack, putting pressure on my left as the main brigades tried to drive through my right.

The defensive ground is excellent, and my force holds despite sharp engagement. General Bartlett delivered a parade-ground quality counter attack on my left flank.

The tide turns in my favor. Enemy regiments around the critical point begin to fall back. Pender's reserve is spotted moving south.

As canister drives off one last attempt the creek is quiet for the first time in more than an hour.

I rode off to continue my scouting. Note the effects of artillery fire in the staging area/fall back point for Pender's attack.

I pass Col. Lowrance on the road, the commander of Pender's reserve. He politely ignores my challenge to duel.

I am forced to scramble as Anderson arrives and hits the northern crossing.

At the time of the attack the 95th Pennsylvania (in the zouave uniforms) was feeling nasty. It had lost over a hundred men when Bartlett ordered them across the creek, under the mouths of Pender's guns. They had routed several enemy regiments but were blasted back across the water. They charged ahead to greet the Confederates.

Today was not their day.

Pettigrew arrives as well. The entire Confederate force is now involved or nearby.

The fighting is growing desperate and I can see a bunch of Rebs through the trees. My reinforcements are just now arriving.