The Ultimate Civil war Game wish list.

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
Cleaburn
Reactions:

The Ultimate Civil war Game wish list.

Post by Cleaburn »

I wish I had the game play of Sow and its AI.Along with the Graphics of Total war.... :woohoo: Just wishing....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vAI3M2O ... re=related
Last edited by Cleaburn on Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Re: The Ultimate Civil war Game wish list.

Post by Michael Slaunwhite »

Me Too.

The AI in SOW is great, TW graphics are really cool. I have the game Empire at War, and play from time to time the American Civilwar Mod, and it's very nice, but the AI just stinks...

SOW AI: 10 out of 10
TW AI: 1.2 out of 10

SOW Graphics: 8 out of 10
TW Graphics: 10 out of 10

Final result: SOW all the way...best 50 dollars I ever spent, hands down.

:)
Last edited by Michael Slaunwhite on Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

That's very difficult to do because of the way the battles are modeled. In SOW every unit on the field is active, whether you are looking at them or not. That's realism. In TW only the units you're looking at are active which is one reason their battles are not realistic. To produce TW like graphics with the realism of SOW would result in a game which would not run on most of today's computers.

I'm sure someone else can explain this better but that's the gist of it.

B
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

That's very difficult to do because of the way the battles are modeled. In SOW every unit on the field is active, whether you are looking at them or not. That's realism. In TW only the units you're looking at are active which is one reason their battles are not realistic. To produce TW like graphics with the realism of SOW would result in a game which would not run on most of today's computers.

I'm sure someone else can explain this better but that's the gist of it.

B
Hi B, long time old fella.

With what you just said, wouldn't it be a better if SOW did this as well which would release allot of needed resources? If that was able to be done, then only the troops in view are being fully managed by the game engine while the troops not being seen are being controlled by a simpler routine until they are seen.

From what I have noticed is why waste the resources on troops you can't see anyway?

But then again I am most likely talking out of my belly button hole here (don't mind the puffs of lint while I talk through it).

Last edited by Michael Slaunwhite on Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

OK. So let's take AN17(The Beast as we call it), LP's masterful full day scenario of Antietam. If we did that you wouldn't have a true representation of the battle. It works for Sandbox play because you're not simulating historic events.

B
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

I wish I had a PC that could run everything at 100% and 2000 visibility... :(
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

OK. So let's take AN17(The Beast as we call it), LP's masterful full day scenario of Antietam. If we did that you wouldn't have a true representation of the battle. It works for Sandbox play because you're not simulating historic events.

B
Cool. The one thing that I don't understand is that why waste resources on troops you cannot see there really isn't much need. For instance, the troops which are in picture have full access to the AI resources, meanwhile the troops you cannot see use about 1-3 percent processing cycles to just simply fulfill movement etc.

I know I must be way off here but giving full resources for 80,000 (in-game total)which in reality you can only see 15-30,000 men just seems like a waste of resources to me, and could be used elsewhere.

Anyway I just can't see the sense in it.

Braxton Bragg
Reactions:

Post by Braxton Bragg »

There will always be a counter argument!
Braxton Bragg
Reactions:

Post by Braxton Bragg »

Yep I bought this fast Pc for Napoleon total war!
I have included the link to the Modders facebook for you to look at
its nothing more than a mod, but my o my it is good, trouble with NTW is the handling of the formations
of Troops, its this which lets the game down

Braxton Bragg
Braxton Bragg
Reactions:

Post by Braxton Bragg »

Yep I bought this fast Pc for Napoleon total war!
I have included the link to the Modders facebook for you to look at
its nothing more than a mod, but my o my it is good, trouble with NTW is the handling of the formations
of Troops, its this which lets the game down

The Video is of Antietam, you will see the sunken road and the cornfield and in the distance the westwoods

Braxton Bragg