Skirmishers, a help or a futile formation?

General Question/Answer/Announcement about NSD. We are a small independent game development team and we value our community. If you ask, we'll answer.
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Skirmishers, a help or a futile formation?

Post by Hancock the Superb »

I cannot stress this point enough: Skirmishers must be very good in this game. There is simply no use for them in TC2M, I can march my men up to an enemy and just deploy them as I go, I don't care if anyone is in front of me or not. I don't line up my men in formation as they go, if I want my men to move quickly, I'll make sure they are in column!

I would like to hear the team's opinion on skirmishers, if possible, and I would like to advise that if it is similar to TC2M, to please upgrade them.

Thanks.
Hancock the Superb
norb
Reactions:

Re:Skirmishers, a help or a futile formation?

Post by norb »

Jim is on top of this, at least he had me do a lot of coding to get these guys right. You'll be happy.
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Can you release any info at all?
Hancock the Superb
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

There will be brigade level skirmishers. They will be in a correct skirmish formation and will move with the brigade. The rest is still tbd as we a lot of work on the AI yet to do, which will determine how the skirmishers act.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Ugg. No commander help at all?
Hancock the Superb
69th NYSV
Reactions:

Post by 69th NYSV »

Well, I'm going to say "Wow"...It seems there are all kinds of behind the scenes improvements going on that you can't really see in screenshots.

I say good show guys and keep up the good work. B)
Pvt., 4th Texas Infantry, Co. B
estabu2
Reactions:

Post by estabu2 »

Hancock the Superb wrote:
Ugg. No commander help at all?
Somehow, I don't think they are just going to throw out skirmishers just for look of it,Hancock. Sometimes it is good to assume that they(NSD) know what they are doing and will have the proper commanders in place to command the troops.
"It is strange, to have a shell come so near you...you can feel the wind."
ironsight
Reactions:

Post by ironsight »

estabu Wrote: Sometimes it is good to assume that they(NSD) know what they are doing and will have the proper commanders in place to command the troops.

I think you're right! I gotta believe most if not all NSD members are extremely familiar with TC2M with its limitations and shortcomings along with the rest of us.
Anything that can be added or tweaked in a practical sense probably will.
Edwin Jemison
Reactions:

Post by Edwin Jemison »

Judging from all the effort put into making a controllable game in TC2M, I don't worry about the Dev's really. As much as the formation was used in the real war, it would be very poor not to include them here.
Private, 26th NC

"You take care of your own lil' red wagon I'll take care of mine."-Ms. Buena May Cameron
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

I'm hoping for a skirmishing that gives the player the advantage, a reason to throw out skirmishers, not just launch into a fight. I don't give a rip what happens on open terrain because me men will engage them eventually.

But skirmishers, real good ones along with a good game engine would give you what regiment, amount of opposing troops, and if they are in a gully or something, you would actually know they were there.
Hancock the Superb