Stuff I'm Working on

gunship24
Reactions:

Re: Stuff I'm Working on

Post by gunship24 »

Small update:
The attachment test01.png is no longer available
Vistula Uhlans model is done and next will be rendered out. from this angle you cant make it out but they are wearing the czapka hat.

Just wanted to check with someone who knows about Vistula legion infantry, in the peninsula did they fight in any non-siege battles?
Attachments
test01.png
test01.png (64.79 KiB) Viewed 154 times
Last edited by gunship24 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ingles of the 57th
Reactions:

Post by Ingles of the 57th »

Is it possible to replace the default "replacement commanders" list with something more suitable to the nationality of the OOB. In the Civil war, of course, the same "rank /given name / surname" data will serve for both armies but in Wagram you would need a discrete list for each side.

I played a particularly destructive Wagram game a couple of nights ago and it seemed as though both armies ended up officered by US mercenaries.
Last edited by Ingles of the 57th on Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Die hard, my men. Die hard the 57th."
Last words of Col Ingles commanding His Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot at Albuhera 1811

Marshal Beresford wrote in his despatch "Our dead, particularly the 57th Regiment,were lying as they fought in the ranks, every wound in front"
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Ha :laugh:

Yeah, this file is modifiable, however there's just one file, so you'll have to decide which European country will supply your mercenary officers. :P
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Crikey
Reactions:

Post by Crikey »

There's some great campaign dress shots here. I always thought the brown trousers for Brits were a local solution to wear and tear. They must have been a sight....and a smell! :laugh:

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/s ... 24&page=89

Great work Gunship.
2nd Texas Infantry
Reactions:

Post by 2nd Texas Infantry »

Gunship, you are a true artist. I know the amount of effort involved. Good Job!!!
gunship24
Reactions:

Post by gunship24 »

Thanks Crikey and all for the comments. Those campaign pics certainly make my graphics look very clean! From looking at those im going to do another british line, either looking a bit dirtier of with brown trousers to give the brits some mixed look.

About the commander names, RebBugler has it right, there is only one file. I suppose if i think hard enough i could come up with a file of names that could be used across all armies but it wouldnt be very long.
Ingles of the 57th
Reactions:

Post by Ingles of the 57th »

If you recruited your French troops from Alsace they would all have good German sounding names ! However they all seem to be Graf von this and Conte de that in the OOB's. The rank names would also be quite different also between the two armies. Not a new problem. Horse and Musket had the same difficulty and same bizarre results.

I wonder just how difficult it would ultimately be amend to incorporate this requirement ? There were no other Civil Wars worth mentioning around at the time and the only potential opponents of the period who might speak the same language and share a list of names were the Austrians and the Germans and even then the "Austrians" came from all over the Balkans.

If we are seriously moving into Napoleonic / Peninsular mods perhaps this matter needs to be addressed. We might well need lists of sufficiently aristocratic-sounding names for French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Swedish, Russian, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Dutch, Scottish and Irish Officers. Even English ... I can't imagine a replacement Brigade commander in the Brigade of Guards being called Norb Washington .... Tristam Wellesley, more like. Better start ordering some EU telephone directories.

How it might work with the mixed nationality armies of the period suggests more headaches. The OOB would at least need to hold a code for the nationality of units. Would this be at Brigade level ? I seem to recall historical occurrences of Brigades of differing nationality in the same Division. I'm sure Wellington used to stiffen the Dutch/ Belgian Divisions by embedding a British/Scottish/Irish Brigade from time to time.

But actually the whole thing is a bit of a nonsense anyway. In real life, in the event of a death in combat, the senior commander at the next level down would take over in the short term ..... might be a unit commander, might be the second-in-command, might be the senior staff officer .... all depends on seniority in the Army List .... modified by ability to communicate. i.e. existing names would be shuffled up or across into new commands rather than new names invented. The death of a Lieutenant-General could likely generate forty or more resultant moves down the OOB structure.

It would however need a great, great deal of attrition, of Russian Front magnitude, for a Captain genuinely to end up commanding a Division, a circumstance which the random "rank/given name/surname" generation process of SOWGB achieves fairly often.

Far more Senior Officers somehow contrive to die in SOWGB in a couple of hours than ever died in the real ACW over a series of campaigns.. Makes the problem of replacement in the game look a lot worse than it really was.

I do like to take these games seriously though and I hate it when I have to conclude "But that just looks silly"
"Die hard, my men. Die hard the 57th."
Last words of Col Ingles commanding His Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot at Albuhera 1811

Marshal Beresford wrote in his despatch "Our dead, particularly the 57th Regiment,were lying as they fought in the ranks, every wound in front"
remus
Reactions:

Post by remus »

Hi all
With reference to the replacement names would it be possible to make multiple copies of the replroster file name them replroster1,2,3 etc and fill them with names that are appropriate for whatever theatre of war that is required.then rename the file back to replroster when required. This was what was done for the stock toolbar in TC2M

Remus
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

All,

Goeff is smack on the money here - There were enough Officers on both sides with various German or French sounding names that a list containing a vsriety of French/German/English-sounding names would be more than sufficient. Tip o' the hat to you, sir. ;)

Jack B)
Last edited by Jack ONeill on Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Hi all
With reference to the replacement names would it be possible to make multiple copies of the replroster file name them replroster1,2,3 etc and fill them with names that are appropriate for whatever theatre of war that is required.then rename the file back to replroster when required. This was what was done for the stock toolbar in TC2M

Remus
If it were possible I'd think we'd already have separate Reb and Yank lists. But, if it was possible with TC2M, then maybe for SOW.

ADukes is the answer man here...calling, ring ring, somewhere in Europe. We'll either get a "Nope", or a puzzle to solve. :S
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...