Quotes from the ACW

Chamberlain
Reactions:

Re:Quotes from the ACW

Post by Chamberlain »

"I always thought the Yankees had something to do with it."

Attributed to Major General George Pickett when asked why the Confederates were defeated at Gettysburg

Chamberlain
-Col. Joshua Chamberlain, 20th Maine

We cannot retreat. We cannot withdraw. We are going to have to be stubborn today
Joshua l.Chamberlain
Reactions:

Post by Joshua l.Chamberlain »

"By god! If we can't hold the top of the hill we sirtantly can't hold the bottom of it!"
-General George Meade
Chanslersville
"There stands Jackson like a stone wall! Let us be determined to die here and we will conquer!"
-Brig.Gen. Bernard Bee, Henry House
Joshua l.Chamberlain
Reactions:

Post by Joshua l.Chamberlain »

"My god are these all the men we have here? What Regiment is this?"-General Winnfield Scott Hancock
"First Minnesotta."-Colonel William Colvill Jr.
Hancock pointing to the oncoming Rebel battle flags.
"Advance colonel and take those colors!"
Gettysburg
"There stands Jackson like a stone wall! Let us be determined to die here and we will conquer!"
-Brig.Gen. Bernard Bee, Henry House
Chamberlain
Reactions:

Post by Chamberlain »

"There are times when a corps commander's life does not count."

--Major General Winfield S. Hancock, US, at the Battle of Gettysburg

Chamberlain

We cannot retreat. We cannot withdraw. We are going to have to be stubborn today
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Post by Hancock the Superb »

"This was the best fighting the XI Corps has ever done." Colonel Wainright - 2nd Day, G-burg.
Hancock the Superb
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

"It was the saddest night on picket that I ever passed. The line ran across the field that had been fought over the day before, and the dead and wounded of the two armies, lying side by side, thickly strewed the ground. The mingled imprecations and prayers of the wounded and supplications for help were heart-rending. The stretcher-bearers of both armies were allowed to pass back and forth through the picket lines, but scores of wounded men died around us in the gloom, before any one could bring relief or receive their dying messages."

Col. Wheelock G. Veazey
Commanding 16th Regiment Vermont Volunteer Infantry
and Third Division Picket Line.
July 2-3, 1863
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
Chamberlain
Reactions:

Post by Chamberlain »

“Goddamn McDowell, He’s never where I want him."

General Pope at 2nd Manassas on learning that McDowell was lost behind Federal lines.

Chamberlain

Chris G.
Reactions:

Post by Chris G. »

Go back, go back and do your duty,as i have done mine, and our country will be safe. Go back, go back....I had rather die than be whipped. --Mortally wounded J.E.B. Stuart at Yellow Tavern, exhorting his troopers to fight on without him.

Our generals don't do that sort of thing.--A captured Federal officer at Gettysburg on seeing General Longstreet personally leading General Barksdale's Mississippians into the fray at the Peach Orchard.
Last edited by Chris G. on Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chamberlain
Reactions:

Post by Chamberlain »

"Grant stood by me when I was crazy and I stood by him when he was drunk, and now we stand by each other."

- William T. Sherman, backing his friend and then President Ulysses S. Grant

Chamberlain

Armchair General
Reactions:

Post by Armchair General »

As my signature reads, "Whoever saw a dead cavalrymen?"
Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure.