Quotes from the ACW

Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Re:Quotes from the ACW

Post by Hancock the Superb »

And us boys wondered what those fancy generals in their tents eating their good food were sending us into that infernal mess for.
Hancock the Superb
Chris G.
Reactions:

Post by Chris G. »

Gen. Lee: How many men will you take?

Gen. Jackson: My whole corps.

Gen. Lee: Well, go on.

Last words exchanged between Gen. Robert E. Lee and Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson, Chancellorsville, VA. 1863.
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Post by JC Edwards »

Most of you should remember my favorite:

"Well, I've got to hand it to you George, you certainly have a talent for Trivializing the Momentous and Complicting the Obvious!"

Jim Kemper (Gettysburg:The Movie):cheer:
'The path that is not seen, nor hidden, should always be flanked'
Joshua l.Chamberlain
Reactions:

Post by Joshua l.Chamberlain »

Troops cursing General Hood after one of his disasterous battles in the west.
"The Federals got his leg I wish they had his whole damned body."
"There stands Jackson like a stone wall! Let us be determined to die here and we will conquer!"
-Brig.Gen. Bernard Bee, Henry House
louie raider
Reactions:

Post by louie raider »

Confederate after throwing himself on a loaded cannon on Cemetery ridge: "This gun is mine!"

German artilleryman: "Du sollst sie haben!" just before he pulls the lanyard, emptying the canister shot into the rebel....

i like to think my ancestor did that....
this space for rent
Chamberlain
Reactions:

Post by Chamberlain »

"On they come with the old swinging route step and swaying battle flags. Before us in proud humiliation stood the embodiment of manhood. Thin, worn and famished, but erect and with eyes looking level into ours. Waking memories that bound us together as no other bond. Was not such manhood to be welcomed back into the Union so tested and assured. On our part not a sound of trumpet more nor roll of drum, not a cheer, nor word, nor whisper of vain glorying, nor motion of man. But an awed stillness rather and breathholding, as if it were the passing of the dead."

- Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain, describing the surrender of the Army of Northern Virginia

Chamberlain
-Col. Joshua Chamberlain, 20th Maine

We cannot retreat. We cannot withdraw. We are going to have to be stubborn today