How to Charge and take out ARTY ???

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
drypowder
Reactions:

How to Charge and take out ARTY ???

Post by drypowder »

I can't take out arty even when its in my ranks ?? How does one take out arty ?? I tried charge all sorts of stuff. Then they pummel me with shot :huh:

I figured it out more .. March your regiment towards the enemy in column formation take over the AI of the unit march them close then when they arrive at the golden arrow AND when the arrow disappears this is the key the arrow must disappear then hit the charge button. keeping it on your total control click near another arty or after it takes one you can usually just wait again until the golden arrow disappears often you must wait until they get to the arrow AND get into a completed line formation THEN the arrow disappears and it is when they start shooting at whatever they are shooting at this is the time when the golden arrow disappears hit the charge button they then usually charge to the closeest thing arty etc.
Last edited by drypowder on Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: add more info
This is Abner Monroe Perrin born Edgefield County, South Carolina born Feb 8th 1827 fought in Gettysburg and other engagements.

"Maj. Gen. Edward "Allegheny" Johnson's division was captured on May 12, 1864, units from the Third Corps—including Perrin's brigade—were called in to help. Leading his troops in a spirited counterattack through a very heavy fire, with his sword in hand, Perrin fell from his horse pierced by seven bullets. He died instantly.

Perrin is buried in the Confederate Cemetery in Fredericksburg, Virginia." source wiki
KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Re: How to Charge and take out ARTY ???

Post by KG_Soldier »

If your boys are tired, they won't charge. Winded or better only.
BillF
Reactions:

Post by BillF »

This is one of the most unrealistic situations in the game (Gettysburg and Antietam). You can have several hundred of your men standing in the enemy's artillery battery, but they can't capture it becuase they're "tired". I think they would manage enough energy to shoot or bayonet the artillerymen, and not just stand there.

Have never seen anything about a patch to fix this.
KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Post by KG_Soldier »

They will shoot them, as long as they aren't exhausted.

But I do agree. . . if they can't charge, they should be able to capture the guns by having their flag make contact with the gun.
Last edited by KG_Soldier on Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
2nd Texas Infantry
Reactions:

Post by 2nd Texas Infantry »

This is a problem. Most of the time the men did not take the guns at bayonet they simply took the guns because the gunners would run off and abandon their guns after they realized they didnt have enough time to limber them up, the horses were shot up, or the gun was stuck in the mud. They sure as hell wouldn't sit there within 5 yards of the enemy. (If they did they would all deserve the CMOH)
I think the horses in the battery should take casualties in the future. The artillerymen, when in that close proximity of the enemy should capitulate or run off thus abandoning the gun to the enemy or leave it in no mans' land until a unit (tired or not) come up on it real close. Similiar in how an opposing commander dies when too close to the opposing forces lines.

Having said that, it would require quite a bit of coding and a new set of artillery sprites. Although I have modded Norb's games for years, I am just an art guy, and I can tell you this will not be an easy fix to make it as realistic as I aforementioned, but it is do able.

Just my two cents.....Confederate Money.
Last edited by 2nd Texas Infantry on Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
NY Cavalry
Reactions:

Post by NY Cavalry »

Try the GCM mod. Fatigue is not so brutal. Playing stock is unforgiving if you need to double time your men to close on a battery. The GCM mod will be a little easier on the fatigue and will give your boys a fighting chance.

If infantry is providing cover to the battery then that is another hurdle to overcome.
NY Cavalry
Reactions:

Post by NY Cavalry »

Hey Tex, I think that Confederate money is worth something now.

Whatever happened to that five dollar Confederate bill that Lincoln was carrying when he was shot? I bet that five bucks would be gold now.
2nd Texas Infantry
Reactions:

Post by 2nd Texas Infantry »

Thats funny there Yank. Actually when I was 3yrs old or so I tore up as a child a wad of Confederate Money my dad had from the family. I got the belt I am sure. I still have the remaining bills now. The once worthless Confederate dollar trades higher than the current US dollar. I have quite a bit left. I am contemplating buying Greece right now, but it doesnt seem like a good investment.
drypowder
Reactions:

Post by drypowder »

I figured it out more .. March your regiment towards the enemy in column formation take over the AI of the unit march them close then when they arrive at the golden arrow AND when the arrow disappears this is the key the arrow must disappear then hit the charge button. keeping it on your total control click near another arty or after it takes one you can usually just wait again until the golden arrow disappears often you must wait until they get to the arrow AND get into a completed line formation THEN the arrow disappears and it is when they start shooting at whatever they are shooting at this is the time when the golden arrow disappears hit the charge button they then usually charge to the closeest thing arty etc.
This is Abner Monroe Perrin born Edgefield County, South Carolina born Feb 8th 1827 fought in Gettysburg and other engagements.

"Maj. Gen. Edward "Allegheny" Johnson's division was captured on May 12, 1864, units from the Third Corps—including Perrin's brigade—were called in to help. Leading his troops in a spirited counterattack through a very heavy fire, with his sword in hand, Perrin fell from his horse pierced by seven bullets. He died instantly.

Perrin is buried in the Confederate Cemetery in Fredericksburg, Virginia." source wiki
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

I think artillery is not powerful enough as it is, to give infantry even more help to capture guns when it is already too easy isn't the answer.

Simple rule: keep infantry reserves, keep them fresh and use them when you need to. Or if your men are tired pull them out of the line and rest them. It's basic tactics and if youre not doing that, you're doing it wrong.

And don't use columns, its not historically correct, or necessary, lines will do it just fine.
Last edited by Saddletank on Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.