Age of Sail

We're gamers, so here is a good place to discuss other games you are playing or are curious about.
con20or
Reactions:

Re: Age of Sail

Post by con20or »

yeh, its a bit pricey for a game released in 2005....im downloading the demo now.

i like the idea of a naval campaign between the batles.
william1993
Reactions:

Post by william1993 »

They have in the demo a full campaign at the end, and I think one of the main game campaigns are playable, the one where the French come across the ocean to help the Americans during the revolution, that one.
God darn. Holy testicles. All them people.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

It might be a hidden gem, but it was an extremely clunky UI, i switched it off almost straight away.

Thanks for the tipoff though William!
william1993
Reactions:

Post by william1993 »

UI?
God darn. Holy testicles. All them people.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

User Interface
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

I was part of a big community (Sea Lords) who played AoS2 to death
I have this, but I remember it being very buggy. Plus I have the add-on, privateers bounty. I might try and reinstall them. Is there any mods you would recommend?

I do remember there being LOADS of commands that never worked, even though they were on th toolbar. Like soundings, or all of the fleet command buttons.
Martin James
Reactions:

Post by Martin James »

I remember that too. Really buggy. Nice looking game though, and I always wanted it to work.

Martin
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Yeh, I remember the first scenario loaded with a shattering instantaneous broadside that sank the three enemy ships you were pursuing!
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

There were 2 or 3 patches that Akella issued that helped fix a few of the worst bugs. Boarding in MP was a no-no though, it always crashed the game.

We used to play some fairly good games, 4 players a side sometimes, though I do remember it was painful to have to live with the MP crashes and such.

Casting the lead worked very well, but you had to be sailing at 2 knots or under to use it. Over that speed it did not work and I assumed that was designed in. I recall there was one SP scenario with some enemy ships anchored inshore of some shoals and there were only a couple of deep water channels to allow you to get near them so I crept in at 2 knots, sounding with the lead for ages; very imersive. Despite its bugs and shortcomings no other Age of Sail game has come close, before or since.

A couple of the SeaLords group were quite good with modding and I know we fixed a few issues with some mods made for our community, plus one of our group made a very good ship and scenario editor. I made a stackload of scenarios for that game and even ran a quite successful campaign set in the Black Sea between the Russians and Turks.

I have no idea if I have any of that stuff still on my computer as I've gone through several machines since then.

*has checked* Yep, still got them. LOADS of stuff - the v1.56 patch from Akella, loads of scenarios, fleet lists, the ship and scenario editor... a real goldmine. Wonder if I could upload them somewhere?

I seem to have lost my rules for the Black Sea campaign though... pity.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Bah - got home from work and tried to find it but cant see it anywhere...

Glad to hear the soundings worked, it was a nice feature.