Age of Sail

We're gamers, so here is a good place to discuss other games you are playing or are curious about.
Martin James
Reactions:

Re: Age of Sail

Post by Martin James »

Yep, still got them. LOADS of stuff - the v1.56 patch from Akella, loads of scenarios, fleet lists, the ship and scenario editor... a real goldmine. Wonder if I could upload them somewhere?
If we have time, I'll chat to you about this at the k/spiel game tomorrow. It sounds like you managed to get the thing running much better than I ever did. I'll now have to try and find my copy..........or is it freeware by now?

Martin
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

I still have my copy on my bookcase right here. No idea if it'll run under Win7 though. Our best games were over a LAN, we had some very fun 6-way fights that way and the game was almost completely stable on a LAN.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Do i remember reading somwhere that the lords had moved on to using the Empire:Total War naval battles?
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Yes, for a while. One of us did some mods for it, but I wasn't involved in playing at that time.

For me the best mod that improves ETW's naval combat is called "Grand Fleet". You finally get some semblance of a wind gauge and everything doesn't always burst into flames and blow up every five minutes :whistle:

I never tried playing ETW naval in multiplayer, I was too disgusted with how limited and ill-implemented the base naval combat game was. There was no concept of the ships being driven by the wind, they almost seemed to be driven by the amount of sail they put up - you can see the AI adjusting sail constantly in response to how fast the ship was going. It's bizarre.

As to ships coming to a dead stop when they reach their final ordered waypoint, well... No, sorry, it wasn't for me. AoS2 was a far superior game in every respect except the eye-candy department where of course Creative Arts are at their best.
william1993
Reactions:

Post by william1993 »

And the wind never changes in ETW so it's not very realistic because in reality wind could change and shift a battle quickly.
God darn. Holy testicles. All them people.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

always burst into flames and blow up every five minutes :whistle:
I hear you, Ive lost count of the times after a brilliantly fought battle :silly: when capturing the last ship id end up with my entire fleet on fire, and either routing or exploding.
Flanyboy
Reactions:

Post by Flanyboy »

Ahhh... the good ole Sea Lords days. I remember them well! Saddletank who were you again? I think my name was Capt Flanigan or Flanigan or something like that I was in the British Fleet on Sea Lords. I left before the transition to ETW. In fact when I stopped frequenting the forums there was discussion about Pirates of the Burning Seas but I never even knew they did ETW.

I also know that FLGibson JR on these boards was William Bush from Sea Lords.

I went into AOS2 the other day just to see if anyone was around, alas, there was no one (on gamespy).

It isn't really age of Sail, it's more post Age of Sail but pre, pre dreadnought or dreadnought era, but there is a newer game called Ironclads. It looks very similar to the Age of Sail engine, but I can't comment on how good the game is as I have not played it. http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-IA/ironclads-anthology
Last edited by Flanyboy on Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Looks nice! They seem to have done every addition under the sun for Ironclads as well - wonder will they make the jump to sailing ships.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Hello Flanigan, I was Digby-Chinless, RN. I still use the Digby name in MP on SoW. I was admiral of the RN fleet at one point before people started leaving and things quietened down.

Ironclads has no multiplayer unfortunately and while it looks nice I am concerned about the gunnery and physics modelling.

For extremely good gunnery and damage models for WWI naval there's Storm Eagle Studios very buggy "Jutland" or Naval warfare Simulation's "Steam and Iron". SES also released their 1904-1905 Russo-Japanese War game "Distant Guns" which was very cool.

I'm a person who likes some 3D grahics though. They don't have to come close to Creative Arts in beauty but they do need to be 3D which is why I haven't played SAI, the 2D top-down plan views just leave me cold, sadly which is a pity as it looks like a fantastic game.
Last edited by Saddletank on Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flanyboy
Reactions:

Post by Flanyboy »

I agree that Distant Guns and their Jutland game looked great. I haven't purchased them though.