Antietam OOB

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
MarkT
Reactions:

Re: Antietam OOB

Post by MarkT »

Saddletank,
What you got in minis?

I went about, and read many of your posts....
Wide range of knowledge....

I too own/play....

running about:
20,000 napoleonic minis
5,000 Civil War

Other eras:
Naps Ships: 2 scales
WWII land : 2 scales
WWI Ships
WWII Ships
Civil War IronClads
Trireme
American Revolution
Medieval
Ancients
Fantasy

If you are into Civil War and Napoleonics
I published 2 scenario books, on CD.
I sell them on Ebay
Napoleonics: Age of Eagles - 68 scenarios (some with multiple scenario breakdown)
Civil War: Fire and Fury - 48 Scenarios (many with multiple scenario breakdown)
Better discription there...
Mark S. Tewes
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

We should continue this in the Other Games section ;)
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Post by KG_Soldier »

@Digby:

"For the rifles, I move the "minimum" range up to 100yd. So they get their "super close range" bonus at anything under 100yd, instead of only when under 20yd or whatever it had been. The super close range bonus itself cannot be modded so I have no idea what it actually is, but it apparently does something."

http://forums.sowmp.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 1175#p1175
IronBMike
Reactions:

Post by IronBMike »

One thing I've wondered, what are the actual sources for the in-game numbers? Are the numbers effectives, PFD, or what? I have a feeling that the Confederate numbers are effectives minus logistics and the Union numbers are PFD or effectives + logistics.
CWGII -> SMG -> SMA -> WNLB -> ANGV -> TC -> TC2M -> SOW
rclark14
Reactions:

Post by rclark14 »

Hi Reb, is there any way you can do a mod that does the entire Antietam battle in like 6 hours like the Gettysburg in 7 hours? That would be really neat and historical. Please? :P
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

One thing I've wondered, what are the actual sources for the in-game numbers? Are the numbers effectives, PFD, or what? I have a feeling that the Confederate numbers are effectives minus logistics and the Union numbers are PFD or effectives + logistics.
The infantry numbers are based largely on Appendix J from 'The Maryland Campaign of September 1862' by Ezra Carman. This is by far the most definitive study of unit strength at Antietam. Carman commanded the 13th NJ Infantry at Antietam and after the war made a considerable effort to study the battle including an extensive correspondence with officers on both sides. He was named to the initial Antietam National Battlefield commission and the maps he developed were used to place a large number of the monuments now on the battlefield.

This information was supplemented by additional information from unit histories where we could get them. The Union numbers are probably fairly close, but Carman states that CS numbers are only estimates. This is largely due to an unknowable but large amount of straggling on the march from Manassas to Sharpsburg. Estimates of CS infantry strength run from 28K to 40K but unless we get some video from aliens who were visiting in 1862 nobody will really know.

-Jim
Last edited by Jim on Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
2nd Texas Infantry
Reactions:

Post by 2nd Texas Infantry »

The infantry numbers are based largely on Appendix J from 'The Maryland Campaign of September 1862' by Ezra Carman. This is by far the most definitive study of unit strength at Antietam. Carman commanded the 13th NJ Infantry at Antietam and after the war made a considerable effort to study the battle including an extensive correspondence with officers on both sides. He was named to the initial Antietam National Battlefield commission and the maps he developed were used to place a large number of the monuments now on the battlefield.

This information was supplemented by additional information from unit histories where we could get them. The Union numbers are probably fairly close, but Carman states that CS numbers are only estimates. This is largely due to an unknowable but large amount of straggling on the march from Manassas to Sharpsburg. Estimates of CS infantry strength run from 28K to 40K but unless we get some video from aliens who were visiting in 1862 nobody will really know.

-Jim
Aliens Jim? I will definetly be second guessing you on our next few calls.
IronBMike
Reactions:

Post by IronBMike »

I'd like to see an OOB done using Harsh's numbers, which IMO are far more accurate than Carman. Or at least from Livermore's numbers. I believe the Confederates had about 42,000 effectives and the Union had 56,000 (total for the end of the day).
CWGII -> SMG -> SMA -> WNLB -> ANGV -> TC -> TC2M -> SOW
rclark14
Reactions:

Post by rclark14 »

Hi, in the None but heroes are left scene- what time does A.P Hill arrive please in the 6 hour battle? I read that he reported to Lee at 2:30 pm- I was doing the battle and all my infantry is used up when does Hill arrive please? :P
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Hi, in the None but heroes are left scene- what time does A.P Hill arrive please in the 6 hour battle? I read that he reported to Lee at 2:30 pm- I was doing the battle and all my infantry is used up when does Hill arrive please? :P
It is random.. You'll never know exactly when he arrives, but it is sometime around "mid afternoon". :P