Litte Update

General Question/Answer/Announcement about NSD. We are a small independent game development team and we value our community. If you ask, we'll answer.
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Re:Litte Update

Post by JC Edwards »

Update:

In the case that anybody missed it, it's January 1, 2009 :lol: .......and I'm still getting up between 4:30-5:30 am to test.:blink:

Hmmmmm......I wonder what Norb's doing?:S
'The path that is not seen, nor hidden, should always be flanked'
rebeltim
Reactions:

Post by rebeltim »

you are the man!!! somebody get this guy some coffee. :P
ironsight
Reactions:

Post by ironsight »

JC Wrote: .......and I'm still getting up between 4:30-5:30 am to test.

Hmmmmm......I wonder what Norb's doing?
Norb? probably still dreaming about the code monsters chasing him!:P

Me? i woke up around 9am this morn and i'm ROFLMAO :laugh: :laugh:
...hope you fed the chickdens and slopped the pigs first!:laugh: :laugh: :P

Someone's gotta do it though.....better you than me! ;) :P
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

I'm up. Gotta pay some bills then it's back to coding. VonViper sent a big list, so I'm going to work on that first. Then I want to see if I can get MP working again.
Von_Clausewitz
Reactions:

Post by Von_Clausewitz »

I have a question.

I am not sure if this is too late for the game at the stage it is in but this is something that is worth considering.

Will it be possible to give deployment orders for different divsions/brigades etc on the 2D map?

The most time consuming thing for me in bull run and TC2M was making sure that i picked the right spot on the 3D map that i saw on the 2D map for my division to deploy. Most of the time the men deploy not exactly in the orientation i want them to use. so i have to correct that once they get there.

A somewhat similar game to yours relating to napoleonic warfare is being developed in france. The game has the same principal as yours (large armies divided into divsion brigades etc...), graphics not as good as yours i must say, but then again i care more for playability than graphics. To come back to the point, in this game you can give orders to different formations on a 2D map and on a simplified zoomed out 3D map.
Although at first this may seem trivial, it really is much more user friendly allowing you to order the men in an easy fashion specifying how wide and how deep an area you want them to deploy in. this can be a good time saver when playing huge battles.

Just a thought. The game looks great by the way.

VC
Last edited by Von_Clausewitz on Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Von_Clausewitz wrote:
I have a question.

I am not sure if this is too late for the game at the stage it is in but this is something that is worth considering.

Will it be possible to give deployment orders for different divsions/brigades etc on the 2D map?

VC
Wow, that is a fantastic idea. I am not sure either if it too late, or how tough it would be to implement, but that would be a VERY useful feature. Nice one Von_Clausewitz
Von_Clausewitz
Reactions:

Post by Von_Clausewitz »

Thank you Little powell,

Is there any official answer or information by the game developpers on this issue? If not feasible now can it be implemented maybe in a future patch?

VC
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

We really try to stay away from committing on anything. It is a very good idea. We do read all the forums and all the ideas. The ones we like we write down. It may make it in this game or some patch or some expansion or may never make it in. I always try to keep my word when I announce things, but the problem is that I am then very loath to promise anything until it's in. Even saying the game will be released this year was very hard for me. Because now I'll kill anyone around me to make sure that comes true. I've never missed a date, so if I'm still finishing up the install script on New Years Eve, I'll get it done. I know that the rest of the team is as committed as I am, but when things start getting stressfull, I hope that we're still all as committed and getting along as well. It's not right to point fingers, but when we are trying to make a date and we each have our own job, it will be obvious to everyone who we are waiting on and who is holding us up. It may be me, but it's always harder on the person, because you know they hate to be in that position and are doing everything they can to get out of it. If they don't, they shouldn't be on the team.

But Jim is confident that we will never get there. He feels that we will have no problem making the schedule. It's funny because we've been together on the two previous games and we've come out of it with two very different view points of how long things take. I can't even claim more experience on this than him, because he's been on the team since the beginning. So I'm defering to his vision on the timeline.

Our plan is to come back and attack any features that we really want, after we have everything else in the game. But, we could work on MP and gameplay from now until the year 3000 and still not be 100% happy with it. We each have an idea of what we want to accomplish. JC is ramping up and the bugs are getting put into our bug database. I have some big ideas about how to make the gameplay and AI better than anything that I've previously coded.

Big answer to a small question, but now you get an idea of the implications of every feature we try to add.
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Post by JC Edwards »

Norb
JC is ramping up.....
Why does that sound like he want's me to pull an Evel Knievel?!:blink:
'The path that is not seen, nor hidden, should always be flanked'
Phantom Captain
Reactions:

Post by Phantom Captain »

Mwuhahahaha!!

Hey everyone! Just wanted to say hi and let you all know that I haven't disappeared from the face of the earth. Had some horrible computer issues the past couple months but everything seems to be straightening out and re-aligning. I was also faced with some "real-life" issues that do seem to pop up their ugly heads now and again. Bleh, oh well.

"First company, Attention! Order arms!"

"First company, Fix bayonets!"

"First company, Shoulder arms! Charge bayonet!"

"At the double quick, Charge!"
Corporal - 49th Indiana Volunteer Infantry, Co. F

In our youth our hearts were touched with fire.