Hesse Darmstadt

Saddletank
Reactions:

Re: Hesse Darmstadt

Post by Saddletank »

Gunship - one thing that has always struck me is how tall and thin the sprites are with such long slender legs. Is this just a style you prefer or is it to do with the height and scaling of the sprites that you take from the original 3D models? I recall the NTW2 models were not that shape.

Not being critical, just curious.

You could also use NTW3 3D models (with permission) since all you're doing is taking screenshots I suppose in a multitude of poses and the NTW3 models are of course so much nicer!
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
gunship24
Reactions:

Post by gunship24 »

They should be about the same height as the ACW sprites, they are thinner though. The NTW2 models are very low polygon, the legs in particular loose alot of weight as you turn around the sprite. this is because the model has really flat edges for the legs I have been attempting to 'flesh them out', i think the dismounted chasseurs a cheval is a good example, but i only srated to do this after the Road to Wagram first version was completed. The new sprites are certainly abit fatter but still thinner than the acw ones. I am always trying to make it better though and learning new 3d modelling stuff all the time. Perhaps im rendering them from a low viewpoint? (currently at eye level). Unfortunately i cant use NTW3 models as there isnt an importer available for the software im using. The Rome total war engine is pretty old now. Im looking into units modded from the MTW2 engine, those are much higher polygons.

Take this picture of the imperial guardsman. From the views on the left you would think that was in proportion but on the right you see the legs lose depth due to the viewing angle. Maybe i just need to make them fat? :). some of the leggings though in this periiod were very tight, especailly units like the Austrian grenzer.
Attachments
Clipboard01_2012-05-21.jpg
Clipboard01_2012-05-21.jpg (197.19 KiB) Viewed 135 times
Last edited by gunship24 on Tue May 22, 2012 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gunship24
Reactions:

Post by gunship24 »

so,does that mean your doing regimental colours for the british units? that would be brilliant!
if you need help with research gimme a shout.

with regard to the music,im gathering more and more relevant stuff together.i thought id start by posting up french and austro hungarian first as they pertain to the existing mod,so shall i post them here or start a new thread?
awaiting orders sir! cheers
Regimental flags will be there, i will be selective so regiments with similar colours can share a sprite, otherwise i would have to render out all 100 or whatever. For the music start a new thread. thanks .
Last edited by gunship24 on Tue May 22, 2012 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redcoat
Reactions:

Post by redcoat »

having been a napoleonic reenactor many years ago i can tell you the gaiters tend to get looser and baggier the longer you wear them,the strap under the knee is what holds them up.

when you wash them in camp afterwards they tend to shrink a little and stiffen up again.

so,as your troops are on campaign they could be a little on the baggy side!

got a lot of work this week but i'll start a music thread by the weekend.
french will be first up. cheers