What does the Jury Think?

Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

What does the Jury Think?

Post by Hancock the Superb »

What is the verdict? Historically accurate, or not...
Last edited by Hancock the Superb on Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hancock the Superb
LMUStats
Reactions:

Re: What does the Jury Think?

Post by LMUStats »

Where in the Wlderness is this supposed to be at??

Looking at the tactics, etc. it looks pretty accurate to me. They got the terrain pretty close as well. Depending on where in the battlefield this is they might need to have a lot more troops, though. :)
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

The ground explosions are apparently supposed to be artillery are entirely fertilizer IMO. The tactics and confusion at the ground level are fairly good. Terrain is OK, the Wilderness is really lousy soil so the trees don't get so high and visibility is often not as good as shown in this clip. Overall I give it a B.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

I like the 'Band of Brothers' inspired washed out colours.

I don't think too many long and meaningful conversations got conducted in a firing line!

Not enough musket smoke bay a long way!

I wish film makers would stop using ground explosions for artillery. I suppose a small ground charge electrically fired is easy and cheap compared to some CGI of a solid shot bouncing through a formation of men and a stand of trees. I have only once seen a convincing depiction of solid shot in a film and that was a British made-for-TV series of films about the battle of Trafalgar where the mayhem caused by splintering wood below decks hit by roundshot was extremely well depicted. Even solid shot in flight coming inboard between the decks was done well.

I guess the CGI cost of doing solid shot vs the cheapness of a ground charge makes the decision a no-brainer but its a great pity that the Hollywood version of many 18th and 19th century battles have made their way into the general consciousness, computer games, etc.
Last edited by Saddletank on Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

I have only once seen a convincing depiction of solid shot in a film and that was a British made-for-TV series of films about the battle of Trafalgar where the mayhem caused by splintering wood below decks hit by roundshot was extremely well depicted. Even solid shot in flight coming inboard between the decks was done well.
Nice clip Hancock, I liked it!

Saddletank: Was that the one where they concentrated on the crew, rather than Nelson? Like the lieutenant having his leg amputated,the surgeon, his helper etc.
Last edited by con20or on Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kerflumoxed
Reactions:

Post by Kerflumoxed »

The opening scene in "Glory" has a nice solid shot sequence. Take a look at it and see if it reminds you of the story of young Jemison at Malvern Hill.

J
Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
[/size]
"Boys, if we have to stand in a straight line as stationary targets for the Yankees to shoot at, this old Texas Brigade is going to run like hell!" J. B. Poley, 4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

I think the Glory sequence is Antietam where an officer is decapitated, even so you don't see the solid shot - just his head, disappearing which is I presume a dummy with an explosive charge in it.

Con20or - yes, that was the one. A lieutenant was walking down the gundeck when an enemy shot punched through the side of the ship and struck his head. There were some other solid shot strikes as well. I can only imagine they used soft rubber balls fired by something like air-pressure cannons and with very careful editing.

The opening fight of Master and Commander where the French ship shoots at the open decks of the British sloop in the fog has some great solid shot effects too - and great sound effects - its a truly horiffic scene.
KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Post by KG_Soldier »

I think Jack is full aware the opening scene of "Glory" is at Antietam. He asked to compare that scene (at Antietam) with the experience of young Jemison at Malvern Hill: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... d=13976014

Last edited by KG_Soldier on Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Soldier... you've got a problem haven't you? Do you sit around all day waiting for me to post somewhere on the internet just so you can come along and have a little snipe?

I wasn't telling Jack where the scene was, I was stating that I knew where it was. Jack knows more than either you or I about the ACW, possibly more than anyone on this forum.
KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Post by KG_Soldier »

Soldier... you've got a problem haven't you? Do you sit around all day waiting for me to post somewhere on the internet just so you can come along and have a little snipe?

I wasn't telling Jack where the scene was, I was stating that I knew where it was. Jack knows more than either you or I about the ACW, possibly more than anyone on this forum.
Yes, Digby, I sit around waiting breathlessly for you to make a post so I can have a little snipe.

Remember, it's not being paranoid if someone is really out to get you.