cannon fire

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
rebeltim
Reactions:

cannon fire

Post by rebeltim »

hey Norb, or anyone with the inside scoop. Looking at the video and watching the cannon fire, I didn't happen to see any "fire" coming out of the barrels, which i think would be an added effect. or mabye when it is around sunset, folks could see the fire coming out of barrels of cannon and muskets more clearly. Just wondering if this is considered or I just didn't see it and you have already have it installed. thanks. Happy new year everyone.
Last edited by rebeltim on Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
ironsight
Reactions:

Re:cannon fire

Post by ironsight »

Haven't been able to get them dam videos to play yet...best geuss so far its got something to do with my dial up proxy server settings and communicating with the NSD server or a codec thing. I gave up on em.

Getting back on topic, the fire flash would be extremely hard to see in bright sunlight for a real cannon firing a real projectile especially if the observer were any appreciable distance from the muzzle. Night firing can be a different story.

During re-enacments and in the movies when showing firing cannons and muskets, there are no projectiles being fired just black powder detonating in the barrels which basically amounts to shooting 'blanks'. Because there is no projectile, some of the still unburned black powder ignites on its way through the barrel with the rest ejected out the muzzle and igniting outside the barrel which produces the spectacular flashes we see at re-enactments and the movies.

On the otherhand, if a heavy metalic projectile is rammed down the barrel, the chamber pressure of the ignited black powder has to overcome the at rest inertia of the ball to get it moving down the barrel. This takes time albeit in uSeconds and also important, the projectile itself keeps any unburnt powder from being ejected out and flashing beyond the muzzle.
All this allows the powder load to fully ignite 'inside' the barrel thereby pushing the projectile to its maximum theoretical muzzle velocity reducing visible flashes outside the barrel.

I would say for game purposes, muzzle flashes should probably be more dramatic during night battles, when the view is looking directly at the bore of the gun at close proximity or when the view is just extremely close to the firing gun. Other than that, i think a puff of smoke is OK considering its a PC game and tradeoffs have to be made.
Last edited by ironsight on Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

rebeltim wrote:
hey Norb, or anyone with the inside scoop. Looking at the video and watching the cannon fire, I didn't happen to see any "fire" coming out of the barrels, which i think would be an added effect. or mabye when it is around sunset, folks could see the fire coming out of barrels of cannon and muskets more clearly. Just wondering if this is considered or I just didn't see it and you have already have it installed. thanks. Happy new year everyone.
The only way to make that work is to add it to the sprite artwork. It's very possible to do.
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

ironsight wrote:
Haven't been able to get them dam videos to play yet...best geuss so far its got something to do with my dial up proxy server settings and communicating with the NSD server or a codec thing. I gave up on em.
If you can play youtube, search for norbsoftdev on youtube and you'll find them.
ironsight
Reactions:

Post by ironsight »

Norb, i can play Ytube videos just fine. Problem is they take anywhere from 20 to 45 plus minutes to load. :angry:
It just isn't worth the aggravation! :S

I'll just be patient and wait til you all release the real game!...hopefully it'll be available on CD! ;)
Chris G.
Reactions:

Post by Chris G. »

Forget the muzzle flash, I'd be happy with some actual casualties from my artillery fire at any distance outside the cannister range :cheer: I have kept an entire brigrade under fire with two batteries for 30-45 minutes at 700-900 yards and only inflicted 9 total casualties.
BOSTON
Reactions:

Post by BOSTON »

ironsight wrote:
Norb,
I'll just be patient and wait til you all release the real game!...hopefully it'll be available on CD! ;)

Was reading Chris G's post, which merits attention, looked up a post and saw Ironsight's post from 3 months ago and wondered if there has been current activity as to how the GB game is going to be released, in what form?

Hoistingman4
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

No, we have not had time to even think about that. There are a lot of factors that will affect our decision, but right now we are just worrying about getting it done.
estabu2
Reactions:

Post by estabu2 »

Chris G. wrote:
Forget the muzzle flash, I'd be happy with some actual casualties from my artillery fire at any distance outside the cannister range :cheer: I have kept an entire brigrade under fire with two batteries for 30-45 minutes at 700-900 yards and only inflicted 9 total casualties.

You will be happy to know that the artillery is MUCH improved over TC2M. Long range artillery does a little damage, while middle range say 300-600 does some pretty good stuff. Canister is still as deadly as ever.
"It is strange, to have a shell come so near you...you can feel the wind."
Chris G.
Reactions:

Post by Chris G. »

Cannister blast is the only in game sound that actually makes me cringe when i hear it, especially when i am uncertain as to where it's coming from.