The 30lb Parrott

Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

The 30lb Parrott

Post by Hancock the Superb »

A little dull, but extremely informative. Would be nice to see this information used in, say, a Fredericksburg add-on. Hope, hope, hope?
Hancock the Superb
LMUStats
Reactions:

Re: The 30lb Parrott

Post by LMUStats »

Speaking of 30lb Parrotts..... look what was found about a mile from my house last week. :)

http://lmurailsplitters.athleticsite.ne ... tshell.jpg[/img_size]
Last edited by LMUStats on Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
2nd Texas Infantry
Reactions:

Post by 2nd Texas Infantry »

The video was definetly dated, but cool. And LMUstats where did you find that shell? That is awesome. I own a Naval 32lb siege gun mounted on a naval style carriage. It is a replica that was used in the film "Glory". I acquired it from my former Museum Director and have fired it at numerous re-enactments, when I was involved in those back in the late 90's until 06. I loaned it to a museum for a display, however, I have pictures of me and my team firing it. I need to scan the old photos and post em. It was realy fun to shoot. Powder is expensive now-adays and moving it from place to place took an act of god. I also sold my trailer to haul it and even though it was a movie prop it is still made up of a lot of steel. They fired 1lb loads of powder and a lb of cornmeal out of those on the movie. It looked real good from a distance up until the time you placed your hands on it...then you would know it was a prop. Thanks for the video that was cool.
LMUStats
Reactions:

Post by LMUStats »

The video was definetly dated, but cool. And LMUstats where did you find that shell? That is awesome. I own a Naval 32lb siege gun mounted on a naval style carriage. It is a replica that was used in the film "Glory". I acquired it from my former Museum Director and have fired it at numerous re-enactments, when I was involved in those back in the late 90's until 06. I loaned it to a museum for a display, however, I have pictures of me and my team firing it. I need to scan the old photos and post em. It was realy fun to shoot. Powder is expensive now-adays and moving it from place to place took an act of god. I also sold my trailer to haul it and even though it was a movie prop it is still made up of a lot of steel. They fired 1lb loads of powder and a lb of cornmeal out of those on the movie. It looked real good from a distance up until the time you placed your hands on it...then you would know it was a prop. Thanks for the video that was cool.
It was found in a creek bed in a field near my house. Cows using the creek had uncovered it/kicked it loose and the owner picked it up. The site is a little over 3 miles (as the crow flies) from Cumberland Gap. If you know anything about Cumberland Gap you'd know that at least 2 (probably up to 6) 30lb Parrotts were stationed there on top of the mountain. In fact, when Union General Morgan evacuated the Gap in 1862 he deliberately exploded his armory to keep the ammo out of CSA hands, but over 100 Parrott shells were actually buried nearby and were re-discovered in 1940 and removed before the land became owned by the NPS in the early 1950s.

One of those Parrotts was the famous "Long Tom" that (according to legend) fired the first shot at First Manassas and was captured by the Confederates during that battle. It was later moved to Cumberland Gap and was stationed there through 1863, (including being literally thrown off the mountain twice when the Gap changed hands and then dragged back into position afterward) when it disappears from history. This shell, which is a fused shell, might have been fired from that piece.

Ironically, if you have ever heard of Earl J. Hess or read any of his books..... this Parrott shell was found about a mile and a half from his office at Lincoln Memorial University. :)

Th NPS also found several cannonballs (all live) last week on one of the trails leading to the Gap after they washed out in a landslide due to recent rains.
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Post by Hancock the Superb »

30lb Parrotts used at Charleston:
Last edited by Hancock the Superb on Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hancock the Superb