Difficulty with the "We Want Those Guns" scenario

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
e.p.alexander
Reactions:

Difficulty with the "We Want Those Guns" scenario

Post by e.p.alexander »

I have played that scenario multiple times with nearly the same results. Defeat!! McLaws Division is understrength by about 1400 men and has lost General Kershaw prior to engaging the Federals. McLaws Division had not been in combat prior to the echelon attack on Third Corps. The field as presented represents one already fought over but that was not the case. Is this an oversight or a continuation of something else? Scott Bowden reports that McLaws fielded over 6700 men but the scenario has him with a little over 5300. Why this disparity in numbers? I also get little support from Alexanders' guns throughout the scenario, they are little more than decoration. Any thoughts on this? My max scoring is a little over 6300 points but no wins.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Re: Difficulty with the "We Want Those Guns" scenario

Post by Little Powell »

Moved to the Command & Staff School Category.

This is one of the hardest scenarios, if not the hardest.

Check out these two threads with some helpful info. The second link has a AAR of me beating it:

http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/comman ... -questions

http://www.norbsoftdev.net/index.php?op ... =103#23251
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

I agree,

B
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

As Little Powell said, this is the hardest of the scenarios. If you really want anguish, play it at the historic difficulty setting. If you are trying to achieve what is deemed a major victory, then you have to forget about how the battle was fought in 1863. The easiest way that I found to get a major victory was to make the enemy come to me. Bring them to the ground of your choosing, then counterattack. You have to do this quickly and efficiently. Once you have destroyed the enemy, you will have a small window of time in which to occupy the VPs. The Wheat Field is the most problematic. Keep it for as long as you reasonably can, but give it back once the full weight of the Union reinforcements is felt. Fall back slowly, you are not Custer. The Peach Orchard is the the VP to keep. Collapse your forces towards it. Use overwhelming force against any brigade that ventures near. A significant portion of the points you need come from the casualties you create. Good luck.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
e.p.alexander
Reactions:

Post by e.p.alexander »

Thanks for the tips. Will report back if not destroyed!!
e.p.alexander
Reactions:

Post by e.p.alexander »

Thanks for the info! Have actually taken the wheatfield (briefly). Kicked major butt on round tops but this is really tough. Last trip, the federals ran off all my arty after liquifying Semmes support brigade. I have noticed various levels of aggression in the Federal response, from acquiescence to knock-em-ded!! I have brought the division arty forward to the lower part of Wentz farm and the peach orchard. works great!! Will concentrate on Wentz and try to avoid activating any unfriendlies.
e.p.alexander
Reactions:

Post by e.p.alexander »

Finally broke the federals but it cost dearly. Advanced Kershaw, Semmes and the three full strength batteries to support Anderson. Sent Barksdale into the wentz farm. Held Wofford back until most of the federals engaged then sent to peach orchard. Worked as expected with the exception of loss of barksdale. I moved the batteries to the Peach orchard and to Wentz once the Federsls retired. The federals proved very hard to defeat and attack would have failed had not the little rocky hill boys come through to distress the enemy further. Hoods Division went forward into the woods thru the wheatfield. Left me with the VPs and very few men left standing. Now i have to learn how to accomplish those goals without annihilating myself!! Final score : 7170 (not exactly a shutout) also a most advantageous AI setup, not very aggressive.

Thanks for the hints and happy gaming!
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

Congrats on your victory. Don't worry about wrecking your unit. Your only goal is to attain a certain point total. Afterwards, you can try the scenarios again and apply a more sane strategy.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Tony1961
Reactions:

Post by Tony1961 »

My difficulty with this scenario is the game won't let me play it! I completed the previous scenario ok, but I still don't get access. Do I need to achieve a minimum score to get in?
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

T

You need to score a Major Victory on Normal to advance with "Carry-over" scenarios. GB07 as I recall.

B
Last edited by born2see on Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam