MP version?

Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Re: MP version?

Post by Jack ONeill »

NYC is right. There is much more to be done to set this game up for Napoleonics then adjusting squares. The engine would have to be redesigned in a variety of ways to suit the pace of Napoleonic warfare.
However, there are excellent points here from Tank and VC to be contemplated.

At this point in time, would it be possible to hear from the Lords of the Game themselves? I believe we eagerly await their wisdom.

Jack B)
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

No Lords, just Norb, and he alone controls the destiny of SOW.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Garnier
Reactions:

Post by Garnier »

The files that need to be MP mod-able for the napoleonic mod would not cause problems. Back when there was a loophole and all mods could be used in MP, I tested a mod that used some of these files in MP, and it worked fine.

I'd assume the reason they're not is either that it would take some effort to enable them, or that NSD limits modding so they can sell more addons to the same people, instead of increasing sales by growing the community. I assume it is the former reason, to NSD's credit.

Even without gameplay engine changes, napoleonic warfare on this engine would be far better than NTW for a lot of people.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Also try the singleplayer carryover campaign
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

That last comment is the understatement of the decade!
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

The files that need to be MP mod-able for the napoleonic mod would not cause problems. Back when there was a loophole and all mods could be used in MP, I tested a mod that used some of these files in MP, and it worked fine.

I'd assume the reason they're not is either that it would take some effort to enable them, or that NSD limits modding so they can sell more addons to the same people, instead of increasing sales by growing the community. I assume it is the former reason, to NSD's credit.

Even without gameplay engine changes, napoleonic warfare on this engine would be far better than NTW for a lot of people.
It has nothing to do with sales. It's because it does take effort to enable them, and months of testing/fixing the bugs it causes. Believe me, even the smallest change usually breaks something else so extensive testing and bug fixing is required.

If someone can list exactly the files needed to make the nappy mod MP playable, I'll make sure a request is put in the system.
Grog
Reactions:

Post by Grog »

"Yes the engine is great, the NSD team did very well.
the nap mod is the best mod/nap game out there, even if the square mechanics are not perfect.
Hopefully the MP world will be open to it, I am sure it would boost sales to allow overhaul mods.
Mods, being free and only playable when people bought the original game, should not cause licensing conflicts and do not in any means prevent the company of making their own version.
I'll keep my fingers crossed, hoping to command soon large nap armies in 10 vs 10.

VC"

I wholeheartedly agree.

Having also been a long standing member of the napoleonic online gaming community, the SOW engine is excellent and offers great possibilities for Napoleonic ( or indeed any Horse and Musket period conflict )simulation. For me its the HITS, couriers and the ability to command at all levels that set it aside from the others and has alas caused me to shelve my TW games and mods, and more recently Histwar. To play a 10v10 Nap SOW MP would be incredible.

A massive (if belated :blush: ) Thank You to Norb and the NSD team for their vision and continued hard work and community support. Also big thanks and respect to Gunship and Jack for this great mod and indeed RebBugler, MtG and a host of other very committed and talented 'modders' here.

I hope the 'destiny' of SOW is one of more periodic diversity, be it through opening it up fully for modding or branching out by way of a new game.

Hopefully it is more a matter of timing. The team are clearly very active in developing the game engine and further ACW expansions and despite my own obsession for the Nap Wars, it has been an unexpected pleasure to delve into this colourful period and enjoy fighting Gettysburg, Antietam etc.

Although I do think the time is ripe for opening it up for MP modding, I also respect to team for standing by their guns and keeping focussed on getting their ACW engine fine tuned first. Perhaps after Patch 1.5 they might reconsider ;). I know of several prominent MP Nap gamers and modders who would be interested, I'm sure and many to follow.

Here's hoping, keep up the good work!

Grog ( NBC- Napoleonic Battle Corps )
Garnier
Reactions:

Post by Garnier »

It has nothing to do with sales. It's because it does take effort to enable them, and months of testing/fixing the bugs it causes. Believe me, even the smallest change usually breaks something else so extensive testing and bug fixing is required.

If someone can list exactly the files needed to make the nappy mod MP playable, I'll make sure a request is put in the system.
I believe you.

These are the files that a napoleonic mod absolutely would need:
unitglobal.csv
unitmodel.csv
munitions.csv
Last edited by Garnier on Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Also try the singleplayer carryover campaign
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

I believe you.

These are the files that a napoleonic mod absolutely would need:
unitglobal.csv
unitmodel.csv
munitions.csv
Ok thanks, got it in the system.
Von_Clausewitz
Reactions:

Post by Von_Clausewitz »

Hi little powell,

You fix it, i will provide the manpower to test it ;)

VC
Von_Clausewitz
Reactions:

Post by Von_Clausewitz »

SOWG is built for civil war battles. If I truly wanted to play Napoleon, I would want the engine redesigned for Napoleonic warfare. I'd like to see an entirely new game with the same engine tweaked.

Formations would be much more important and I'd want to see the ai set up its army in formation rather than just bumping into the enemy while marching on a road.

I'd like to see the use of cavalry modeled differently and used differently by the ai.

I think players will pay for a truly Napoleonic game if it was true to the era.
This goes without saying, if NSD want to sell us a nap game, these features you state are a must.
However most these features are unnecessary in MP, meaning, the AI does not need to know when or how to use square, when or how to charge cav or what formations are appropriate.
All this is done by the player.
I am sure the current corps formations in ACW can be modded to nap ones.
So as you see, there is room for a MP napoleonic mod and for later a NSD released napoleonic game.
I promise to buy the nap game, but give me my nap mod now :)

VC