MP version?

RebBugler
Reactions:

Re: MP version?

Post by RebBugler »

My sincerest apologies for getting your hopes up that this could be made available in the near future. It was discussed and strongly considered, but couldn't be implemented for testing because other issues emerged at the last minute and a critical deadline had to be met concerning our new deal, so unfortunately: "Scheisse passiert" - actually expressed by "So ein Scheissdreck!" or also "dumm gelaufen", and finally, "so ist das Leben" (such is life).

I regret even opening the door and hinting at the possibility that those three files would be opened for MP modding. I despise those that gloat about coming events only to leave projects that they boastfully lauded and hyped up to the max, only to leave their audience hanging with empty promises, TC2M has numerous examples of such immature behavior. Although I made no promises and quoted "no guarantees", I still feel slimy for touching my toe in those waters.

The request is now in the SOW future depot, kinda like a deep freeze. What happens from there is anyone's guess, and I won't be guessing again for sure. Hopefully, it will be looked at again in the near future.

I was going to just let this thread go and then eventually answer the disappointment questions when the new patch is made available. However, I decided to come clean now, so as not to take away from the great new features that will come with patch 1.5, this IS a promise, and guarantee.

To all the European MusketWarGamer enthusiasts, from an American MusketWarGamer Reb,

Thanks for all the Thanks, wish I could give them back...
Last edited by RebBugler on Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added more info to explain the situation better
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Von_Clausewitz
Reactions:

Post by Von_Clausewitz »

Well thank you for the honest answer.
Too bad this was not given more priority. With more modding comes a much bigger community. Only look at the twcenter.net to see what modding has done for the total war saga.

will keep an eye on this thread in the future, just in case.

VC
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Yeah, too bad. But understandable, if you observe many of the stock standards of this game, there is a prevailing Fog of War theme. This is obviously great for certain folks, but not for me. I lean more toward gameplay and making the game fun, but I still have tremendous respect for the history, and without the history, I'd be history. For some though, folks I work with on the game, the Fog of War is the History. I don't see it this way, this to me is the Fog of Logic...this being a game, gaming should equal fun. Fun is that quest that begets bliss, the escape we all seek from life's trials and tribulations. A balanced mix of history and fun equals the greatest bliss for me, at least when within this genre. Lest we overlook Dancing Girls. ;)

At times I teeter close to oblivion regarding my 'official' connections with this game. I mod to the extreme, tear down the old standards and erect my own, gaining praise by some, ridicule by others. So far I have survived, attempting to bring light to what I see personally as a drab and boring place. All video games get old, it is their nature as their being is essentially governed by progressive technology, and modifications within those technical boundaries. Growth of a game can be hampered by technology's stagnate times, whereas modifications are the free spirits, limited only by those that control the available technology, restricting it to within their personal dogmas.

And Finally, a bottom line...If it were up to me, modding would be completely open for practically everything...big surprise statement after all this pro-modding rhetoric...DUH :woohoo:
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Von_Clausewitz
Reactions:

Post by Von_Clausewitz »

Hey redBugler,

I heard that when the game was initially released that these files were open to MP modding but then that was rescinded and these files were blocked.
Shouldn't it be easy then to unblock them again and let us try them MP? if issues arise, we will report them and if you guys have time you could fix them. But right now, we do not know that these would even cause a problem if unblocked, so why not give it a quick try?

VC
Last edited by Von_Clausewitz on Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

MP modding was never included in a public release. They were open in very early development, caused a bunch of problems, so they were locked down. Norb opened some files for MP mods in patch 1.3.
Garnier
Reactions:

Post by Garnier »

There was a loophole for one patch where we could use all mods in MP, which I guess is what VC is referring to. The files didn't cause problems when we used them, but NSD apparently never intended for them to be modded in MP.
Last edited by Garnier on Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Also try the singleplayer carryover campaign
Von_Clausewitz
Reactions:

Post by Von_Clausewitz »

There was a loophole for one patch where we could use all mods in MP, which I guess is what VC is referring to. The files didn't cause problems when we used them, but NSD apparently never intended for them to be modded in MP.
Yes, this what i meant. I was mistaken apparently as to when this happened but it seems that it was possible without problems at one point.

I do not understand the secrecy behind this. For every thousand people that buy the game, maybe 1 person plays it MP. So i understand it might not be a huge priority for you guys to do this. But the thing that i do not understand is that since it worked before in some patch, it should not be hard to reinstitute it.

Since the SP modding is allowed, why not the MP? Some of these mods do not make much sense in SP. The nap mod is one of them unfortunately because the AI does not know the mechanics of cavalry/square to use them. So no matter how beautiful the mod is (and it is very beautiful), the experience is lacking.
The only thing that fixes that is MP because a human opponent knows how to use squares/cavalry mechanics appropriately.

While waiting/hoping for you guys to make a napoleonic title with proper napoleonic mechanics/tactics for the AI to use, it would be great if the nap community could enjoy gunship's mod in MP.

VC
mitra76
Reactions:

Post by mitra76 »

I agree with Garnier and VC, leaving the possibility to change these files should be not a problem because anyway people knows about the possible game problems. Probably many more people which now don't take the game because know very little of Civil War, will take it because there is no game of this category in Nap time (histwar is anyway different from SOW) and a mod is better than nothing; probably they will come to appreciate also CW scenarios after have tried them.
Last edited by mitra76 on Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Visit my wargames blog: http://warforgame.blogspot.it/
Von_Clausewitz
Reactions:

Post by Von_Clausewitz »

Any possibility my clan and I could beta test the Nap mod in MP and report back to the NSD team?

As i understand it, the team wants to tests these files in MP extensively prior to allowing them to be modded in MP.

I volunteer to do that with members of my clan if possible.

VC
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

I suspect NSD might allow a few testers here to try it. Some of those who have been working hard on the mod itself would be the best candidates, plus some NSD official test staff. I seriously doubt NSD would allow their opened up files out to the public before they do the first testing. I can see things like NDAs being required at the very least.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.